Bob is mad at Dish and he has a good reason why. :)

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
First off, I think we all need to Rant and Pillage E* until we get some answers...

I (and Many more are in the same boat) bought a 921 originally. With the expectations that It would last the "lifetime of the installation which is approx. 15 to 20 years." After seeing how buggy that was I got rid of it as soon as the 942 came out. 999.00. I sold the 921 for 699 and bought the 942.. Keep in mind that at the time of this purchase "the road to MPEG 4 was YEARS away according to E* Charlie and Co.

Math time

999-699= 300 bucks I'm out

lalala time goes on :) .. this wonderful thing called mpeg 4 finally arrives after Charlie done did say that (paraphrasing) "the encoders are not giving us what we want in the forms of compression so were not going to do mpeg4 instead were doing turbo 8psk."

Cool so that means my 942.. should last longer... Fast forward 2 months...

here we are MPEG 4 channels lit up.. NO 622's to speak of... other than a few and they want me to "lease a 622" that I wont get for months... for a nice wonderful fee of 299 which includes installation that I don't need as I already have a dish 1000 and a 2nd dish at 61.5.. 200 bucks for that upgrade..

total so far

500 bucks..

According to dish If i want to save 200 bucks I have to wait until April...

well, the channels are on now and I want them now... now keep the 500 in mind.. and were going to do some other math...

My bill a month is approx.. 140 or so..

but I'm figuring this out a little bit differently because the extras I get don't matter..

For AEP 90.00 bucks a month rounded up..(new prices)
HD PAC 10.00 bucks a month rounded up..
Plus Voom is 5 bucks a month

For a total of 105 bucks...

The new hd plat package is

So that leads me to conclude that I am indeed paying for these channels that have been launched...

as both packages are EQUAL!

now remember the 500 that I'm out of so far...

Now if I was to upgrade today.. at 299 including installation that I don't need as all i need is a swapout...

that would bring the total to..

800 bucks that I'm out of to get a package that I already pay for...

IF I wait... I'm paying for channels that I don't recive....

So.. Rant, and Pillage away..

The way I see it.. Dish OWES ME A 622 FOR FREE!

Scott please pass this post on to anybody at dish that can pull there heads out of there asses and see what they have done to there subs... :) IF they want my account number pm me and I will give it to you :)

Also I did talk to the Executive office.. (no help there) and they mysteriously claim that I didn't buy my 942 from them but yet it doesn't show in there system who I bought it from "so they claim" so they wont give me a refund of 699 to help recuperate my losses.

If dish could give me a 622 and have it hear within a month Free of charge and owned by me, I would take it. and be very happy. Right now I'M soo feed up I'm about to cancel. What do you all think? :)

Last edited:
Bob, I know you are angry (and you have every right to be angry) but you might get more accomplished if you didn't pledge violence and curse at the company.

Err, while I can see why your upset with Dish, I dont think raping anything is a good idea. :) And we here at SatelliteGuys do not condone raping anything.

(Yeah I know its an expression)

Dish should be able to tell when you got the receiver from by the receiver ID, as they needed to pay someone for the activation of the unit.

Last edited:
thats the thing according to the "executive office"

they cant pull it up.. even though I know where it came from.. it came from Echosphere as I pulled it off the shelf with workorder in hand.... and installed it myself...

but the exec office didnt want to hear that :)

BTW my math is

300 lost from the sale of the 942
200 for upgrade to dish 1000 w/ 61.5 as I have CBS NYC and Sky angel.. (locals are on 129 for HD)
and
300 if i go for the upgrade to the 622.

My only advice is to sell your 942 on ebay and buy a 622 when they come out. You'll take another monetary hit I'm sure. You need to compare the amount you'll lose there with the $200 rebate dish is offering. Is (the price of a new 622) - (942 listed on ebay) < $200 ? If so, sell it. If not, then maybe the lease deal is better.

However, I dont see a large market for 921/942s on ebay since they cant be used for the new programming, and hackers have no use for them. If you're gonna sell it, sell it quick!

6000s and to a lesser extent 811s still have lots of value on ebay. I saw a few going for over $300. Hmmm I wonder why, it sure isn't its lightning quick user interface :).

Nope I was watching Myth Busters on the Discovery Channel.

It was an interestinig show, they were breaking a Myth about there being 10,000 622's tommorow. :)

I have to ask...

Did you REALLY expect to use your 921 for "15-20 years"?

HokieEngineer said:
<skip>
6000s and to a lesser extent 811s still have lots of value on ebay. I saw a few going for over $300. Hmmm I wonder why, it sure isn't its lightning quick user interface :).
I think I know why. Using 169t or r5000 interface you can get out whole video stream and archive it.

Exactly. Its the last of its kind. Hopefully the 169time and r5000 guys are working on ways to attach their device to a 411 or 211, but with BGA chips and new manufacture techniques it might not be possible.

goaliebob99 said:
For AEP 90.00 bucks a month rounded up..(new prices)
HD PAC 10.00 bucks a month rounded up..
Plus Voom is 5 bucks a month

For a total of 105 bucks...

The new hd plat package is

So that leads me to conclude that I am indeed paying for these channels that have been launched...

as both packages are EQUAL!
I didn't notice this until you posted. We're paying the same damn price as the new HD Plat package and we're getting less channels :mad: Thanks Goaliebob. I thought my blood pressure couldn't get any higher, until now.

HokieEngineer said:
Exactly. Its the last of its kind. Hopefully the 169time and r5000 guys are working on ways to attach their device to a 411 or 211, but with BGA chips and new manufacture techniques it might not be possible.

What is this 169t and r5000 stuff you speak of Hokie?

http://www.169time.com/

Its a mod for a dish 6000 that will allow you to record channels directly to your computer via firewire. Only channels you subscribe to that is.

I dont have the r5000 webpage off the top of my head and Im running late, I'll post it later on tonight. Do a google for r5000 mod.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)