Bob jones university dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

imax_01

Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Guys,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this question. I just joined the forum. I recently bought a bob jones university home sat dish and I am using it with viewsat receiver. Dish is 87CM and is KU band. After spening hours on searching for satellites I could only get signal from 97W. I am not sure why it would only lock onto 97. I bought this dish to get G10R. bob jobes university offers coursed thru 97W satellite maybe thats why it only get signal form that but why would it do it? Its just a oval dish with KU band LNB it hsould get signal from other KU satellites too. Please let me know if anyone knows weather bob joned homesat dish cn be used to get FTA's.

Yes, the dish and LNB are good candidates for general Ku use.
Bob Jones University is supposed to shut down early next year (I understand), so more of those dishes should turn up in thrift stores and trash piles.

To aim at a different satellite, you need to choose which one you want to watch.
Then, set the receiver to a strong transponder on that bird .
Then aim the dish in the general direction, and adjust for best Quality on the receiver.

To get a list of satellites and their strong transponders, there is a link at the top of each page to our own TheList.
It also has a dish calculator for elevation, skew, and aiming direction.

edit: G10r is now called Galaxy 18.

I have one of those BJU dishes and you should have no trouble getting Galaxy 18 or most any other Ku FTA signals with it, it's a decent dish.

If it's got that factory elevation adjuster you will find that it is very handy to use as a "handle" when you are turning the dish, with it you can adjust your azimuth in very small increments very precisely. And it's a great elevation adjuster too! ;)

Sounds like you need to get the setup correct in your Viewsat, then go hunting for G18, good luck. :)

thnanks guys atleast i know i didnt waste money. One last thing. please tell the settings I should have on my viewsat before i search for the signal. I have just been randomely moving dish around to see.

Pick your satellite, set the LO to 10750, not sure about 22khz switch On or Off-try On , it won't hurt anything. Pick a transponder that's active on that satellite (see The List), and then start aiming. Watch the signal strength meter-when you get close to a satellite, it should go up. What you need is the quality meter to go up too, so when you get close to a satellite and get some signal strength-try a blind scan, see if you get anything. We can help identify where you are, if you find something unknown.

From what someone told me that actually uses Bob Jones University to home school his children, they had some satellite problems and they had to do a repoint then after the repoint he was told that they are going to shut off the satellite soon and the only way to receive their services in the future is by DVD's that cost around $1,200 to get.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts