BOONIES? Local TV stattions are WHERE?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Visited our "Local" cable company. We are 11 miles past the end of their service area. They are 16 miles closer to Portland than I am. They are not "allowed" to carry the Portland stations because those are not considered LOCAL. The local stations they are to carry are SPOKANE. The cable company can get (9 muxes) Portland stations with one antenna with a ten foot boom. Under 100 miles for them and they have a gap to see through. Spokane is about 250 miles away. NOT local. And they can not get the signal from the stations by any means.
But she said, if I was there customer, they would see that I would get locals somehow. (I think they have to scramble them, but she would not say.) ... But they are not going to run cable 11 miles. So it is FTA or nothing here. Well, most of the time.

Oh, BTW, you can no longer go to Boonies and then go East for 12 miles to get here, like you used to. Boonies went out of business.

>>>>Politics avoid flag is up.<<<<

2 things
-dont know what this has to do with FTA...should be in the cable section which I probably will move it there in due time (or even the general area because I guess it has to do with what locals you should get)
-if you are in Goldendale as your location says a simple google search shows the cable company (J&N) carries a couple Seattle stations and Portland

Goldendale Channel Listing and Services

(although I do see they are wrong saying that dish nor directv carry Portland locals there and yes they do)

Well, I did not find this listing on the web, but I went to the office in Sept., and the woman there did not show me any Portland locals, but did have NWCN, which would have been enough if they could serve me.
Really has little to do with Cable, and was intended to respond - on a separate thread - to all the comments about all the OTA signals in your big cities. Houston or Minneapolis locals don't have anything to do with FTA either. I did give her a list of the FCC EICs. and I send emails to them (FCC) also. So maybe it worked.

However, Dish, as of last month considered us to be in the Spokane area. Someone here insisted I could get ALL the Portland stations OTA --- WRONG!

Technical grammar point, they said Portland AND Seattle, which they are now saying they get both! Again, if they could get me cable I would subscribe - but I want Glorystar selections --- FTA!

Really has little to do with Cable, and was intended to respond - on a separate thread - to all the comments about all the OTA signals in your big cities. Houston or Minneapolis locals don't have anything to do with FTA either.
when they carry stations that are on FTA they do ;) Which is more of what some of our threads were about. The fact that some markets are adding MeTV, ThisTV, Antenna TV, RTV, etc and other free to air stations (or in the case of Antenna TV scrambled)
Your thread has to do with locals in a market

However, Dish, as of last month considered us to be in the Spokane area.
no they don't. Your county is in Portland DMA....there is also Yakima in between the markets. I posted the link here
http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/washington.gif

Someone here insisted I could get ALL the Portland stations OTA --- WRONG!
with the right setup you probably could. TVfool shows good reception unless you're in a hole or have a mountain in front of you

Technical grammar point, they said Portland AND Seattle, which they are now saying they get both!
they dont give you the full Seattle plate...just a couple. They do give you the whole Portland plate (at least the Big 4)

I dont know the truth. All I did was google the info :)
Directv site shows your area in Portland market
Dish site shows your area in Portland market
the cable company shows you to be in Portland market...all the markets they cover say Portland. So dont know why the rep told you Spokane

The cable company can get (9 muxes) Portland stations with one antenna with a ten foot boom. Under 100 miles for them and they have a gap to see through
it is very possible they are using the translator station in the Dalles (which is 25 miles away) to their area to get locals on there.

Go to Antennas and Digital Television | FCC.gov. If you prune down a old tv antenna and add a amplifier it helps in rural areas. I did that in Calaveras Co. Look for translators. Now for northwest news if you have a BUD with new mapping you will receive it. Motorola dropped the ball and did not keep channel mapping up. We the people now have control of 4DTV direct tv and Dish net offer local channels if all else fails.

Dish network - sponsor above told us we would get the Spokane Locals. I do not do the internet well. The 60 to 120 MPH winds have taken my OTA antenna down for the last time. Also made my 10ft Winegard an unlikely subject to repair. If this works right, the first 4 are the 10 foot the fifth is the 6 foot after the 10 foot landed on it.

Attachments

• holes and cats 064.JPG
    holes and cats 064.JPG
    993.9 KB · Views: 154
  • holes and cats 065.JPG
    holes and cats 065.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • holes and cats 066.JPG
    holes and cats 066.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
  • holes and cats 067.JPG
    holes and cats 067.JPG
    992.7 KB · Views: 141
  • holes and cats 068.JPG
    holes and cats 068.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
The Dallesport repeater site... yes, she said they use that when they can not get Portland direct. OPB aka PBS is very good on both, the other repeater are strong but not (then) the highest quality. I think that is why she said 9 muxes. But from Haystack they can see Portland, so she said....

Dish network - sponsor above told us we would get the Spokane Locals. I do not do the internet well.
pop I assure you that area is Portland locals

Here is the Dish site to put in your zip and it tells you what stations (locals) you'd get
DISH Local Channels - Find Your Local Stations on DISH

The only reason I am throwing this out is if you bought a Dish receiver you could get the Welcome Pack which is $15 a month. It has your locals and a few mainstream channels
Portland locals are the Big 4, PBS, CW and MY Network. If you buy a HD receiver they can also be in HD

As for NWCN Belo (the owner of that station and some locals) got Dish to add it to all markets in WA and Oregon except for Portland...even though channel 8 is owned by Belo. Don't ask me why Portland is exempt from it but it is. But someone posted a way to get it on C-Band...

good luck :)

Well, Thanks for those links. I do not think those locals are worth $15 a month, The only ones in the rest of the welcome pack we would watch are on 97W! If they did have NWCN in the welcome pack ~~~~~ that might make it worth it. I understand it is a loop, but that means it does not matter which 45 minutes I tune in, I get the latest local news. Is NWCN only on a 4DTV? I have read more than I understand about 4DTV... And of course I do understand all that may change with Google's purchase.

I am not happy about false information I get here about the locals on Dish in particular. I just contacted 8 friends that have dish and they had not signed up for locals as they were told they were the Spokane stations! Six others do have and one said it switched late last year...after the Monestary Fire.... I dunno.

Takoma is not acceptable! Tahoma would be OK as that is the original Native pronunciation but it has been Tacoma for over 150 years. If Dish can not get that right, I can understand the csr not knowing where Goldendale is, no it is not North of Ione.

OH, yeah, the other reason I was "upset" was I was trying to get information about the 5 fires in our neighborhood, on TV OTA or on the radio. All I was getting was off the scanner and some friends who I knew had dish did not subscribe to the locals -- as noted. The one friend who said they had changed said there was no news of the fires on Portland station either. --- so OK. I could see 4 of the 5 from our place, (I reported 2 of those) two others were burning in the area but further away (7 total started by lightning Sunday night). I have an old Dish network receiver. It was installed in the motorhome at the factory. Are there particular model numbers that can be used, and can you get this service by the week or month? The one I have is a power hog, however.

Close or delete this if you wish, but thanks for the links. They are better than the CSRs.

What is the model number on that dish receiver?

Funny, but not really. I can see the smoke and red glow from the fire 12 miles East of us on BLM land. There is nothing on the Inciweb page about it. Five sections at least involved.... Scanner just reported more lightning in fire area and then a request for another tender, somewhere. But did not hear which fire wants the water.
Thanks papabruski for that link. I had it before, but lost it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts