Boston MPEG4

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I doubt it since NESN HD isnt actually a channel. In fact NESN HD is a special served from COMCAST.

What angers me about this is I have no problem watch NESN HD stuff on EXPRESSVU, its a shame I need to watch a Satellite Service from outside the us to watch programming from inside the US.

Scott,

Do you get all NESN programming via EXPRESSVU? I'm a Red Sox fan, those games are what I want to watch the most in HDTV, and I have no way to receive the feeds...no Comcast in my area.

Thanks for any info that you can provide!

Mike

davesrave said:
"Many, many people can't get local OTA."

So, the majority of people living in Detroit, Atlanta, Boston, and the other HD local markets who already have HD recievers can't get local HD with their existing boxes using an OTA antenna? I find that hard to believe. I'm in the 51st DMA and I get Boston and Providence locals with my H10. People living in Boston should be able to hook up an indoor antenna to their existing HD boxes and get HD OTA channels providing all of the networks without the hassle of buying and installing new boxes and dishes. Am I missing something?

Yes, you definitely are! :) Being in the "Boston market" doesn't mean that someone lives in Boston! I live in central NH, near the lakes region, about 2 + hours north of Boston. But Boston is considered my local market! I live 10 minutes up a mountain in the middle of a forest. I DO NOT GET OTA CHANNELS. With an antenna I pick up channel 9, WMUR, out of Manchester, NH, in SD, and it is snowy. We tried the OTA hd route. We bought the receiver, the mega-antenna, everything. Nope, nothing. Oh wait! We got a local PBS hd channel. That's it. LOL!

So don't find it hard to believe that many people can't get ota hd. Not everyone lives in the city; there are lots of people out here in the country (lol) who would love hd too! I'm thrilled that D* has rolled out locals for the Boston market, however we're trying to decide if we want HD-Lite. Could someone tell me how much of a difference it makes?

Boston MPEG Upgrade

Considering the interest I had with D* on attempting to order before I discovered I would be paying $99 for pain, I would not be surprised if any one has received yet !!!!

Reading the Atlanta upgrade, sounds like the installers here moved south after they got fired here.

When the one year commit is up in April, it will be time to consider Comcast or stay with D* (disaster).

What other choices are there for decent quality and wide range of channels besides D* or Comcast ?

I called D* yesterday and scheduled my HD upgrade (5lnb dish and H20) for Dec23. They charged my acct $212.99, then gave me an "instant rebate", a credit for $199 (covering all but the shipping). I live about 25 miles north of Bos* and can get a few of the OTA HD locals via antenna and amp. The girl that I spoke with couldn't tell me definitively what HD channels (in addition to the ones I already have) this would be adding but told me that as this was only the beginning and she was (supposedly) told that more and more Chan's would be added as this new hd program progressed.
It seems to me (based on the info I've found all over the net), that D* is changing the rules almost daily. Hopefully, once they get their s#%t together, we'll see more then just cbs, nbc, abc & fox in HD.. I'll be back to post my post install results. (my fingers are crossed) Hopefully, I'll get a decent installer ...... Otherwise, I'll follow him around and torture him into doing his job right :0

mrs.smith said:
Yes, you definitely are! :) Being in the "Boston market" doesn't mean that someone lives in Boston! I live in central NH, near the lakes region, about 2 + hours north of Boston. But Boston is considered my local market! I live 10 minutes up a mountain in the middle of a forest. I DO NOT GET OTA CHANNELS. With an antenna I pick up channel 9, WMUR, out of Manchester, NH, in SD, and it is snowy. We tried the OTA hd route. We bought the receiver, the mega-antenna, everything. Nope, nothing. Oh wait! We got a local PBS hd channel. That's it. LOL!
So don't find it hard to believe that many people can't get ota hd. Not everyone lives in the city; there are lots of people out here in the country (lol) who would love hd too! I'm thrilled that D* has rolled out locals for the Boston market, however we're trying to decide if we want HD-Lite. Could someone tell me how much of a difference it makes?

Mrs. Smith, I feel for you, but the very first thing I said was, "So, the majority of people living in ..." I was implying that the majority of viewers in the largest DMAs are within easy reach of the OTA digital channels. I am fully aware that this does not mean everyone in the DMA. Another implication of my point is, the enormous expense that DTV is going through to implement HD Locals really misses the majority of their customers who don't need this service. They are making a big bet on HD locals and delaying the expansion of national HD channels, which the majority of their HD customers want, until 2007. I, being in the majority, disapprove of this strategy.

No slight on you, however. Actually, you win because you get something you want right now, and I have to wait!

Peace.

Popsicle Headache

So after a month of dealing with the D* people my head is spinning. My wife thought it would be a great idea to get HD for me before Christmas so we purchased the HD DVR and upgraded the system. We were promised a $200.00 rebate to bring the cost of the H 10-250 HD DVR and told that we would be able to upgrade for $99.00.

The install was pathetic. The guys showed up with the OTA and didnt have all the parts. Had to come back a couple days later to finish the job. I might as well have just chucked the $50.00 out the window because I dont get CBS, ABC and some of the other locals with the OTA.

Read about upgrading called today and they told me sure theyd upgrade the system but the new H20 doesnt have a recording component. I was miffed that they didnt disclose that three weeks ago. After some bitching and complaining they really didnt do much for me. They even told me had I had a standard HD receiver they could give me a discount but because I had the HD DVR they were not upgrading those and they werent going to give me the $99.00 price. I was put on hold for 20 mins then the call was "dropped"(according to them). I called back and was told they would upgrade the system give me the new receiver for the $99.00 and that I would be able to keep the HD DVR.

The install of the 5 LNB dish is scheduled for next week...we shall see how that goes. As for those who cant get Locals with their OTA..I can empathize...I only live 5 mins from boston..no trees no hills no sight impediments and I cant get the all the HD locals.

I guess my biggest gripe is that with all the money I spend...HD service..Sunday Ticket ..HBO and ofcourse the sports package...that these people would have told me 30 days ago to WAIT...3 WEEKS and I wouldnt have to go through all this.

Funny anecdote about the installer I mentioned to him about the new dish and technology coming out and he said that he hadnt heard anything about it and that the people at D* are just giving me a line. I cant wait to see this J*****S at my door again on the 27th.

Im wondering how the rest of you out there are making out in your D* upgrade negotiations.

boston area dtv said:
As for those who cant get Locals with their OTA..I can empathize...I only live 5 mins from boston..no trees no hills no sight impediments and I cant get the all the HD locals.

What antennas have you tried? HD OTA in the Boston area is usually pretty easy.

Are you pointing the antenna in the right direction? Go to antennaweb.org to find out where the broadcast towers are located relative to you.

Im pretty unknowledgeable when it comes to the OTA it kinda looks like a wing up on my roof. I dont know if d* uses a standard antenna or not? But the one I have was through direct tv. When I called the service center they told me they had numerous issues with CBS and ABC. The person on the line stated there were many complaints about those issues in the system.

Upgraded this past Friday

I live in Rockland about 20 miles south of Boston and I was upgraded this past Friday. I was surprised it was even done due to the weather. I was scheduled for the install between 8-12. 11:45 came around and no installer. Called the company and they said they would have to reschedule due to weather. Set it up for the 23rd. At about 2pm the installer showed up. It looks like they never told him so I was able to get it installed that day (bonus for me). The install went good and it took about an hour to get the dish up. He did a good job because I went up to the roof to check out his work before he left. The only issue is that he did not explain the new receiver to me but I didn't care. I currently have a OTA antenna from radio shack ($80) on my roof and it works great. I get every local channel (2,4,5,7,25,38,44, 56) at 100% reception. The new rec. picks up both standard def and a high def signal so I currently have 3 channel 4 on my receiver. (DTV 4Standard, DTV high Def and 4-1 OTA). It looks messy on the guide. My only question is I thought these rec. were interactive. Does this work with these rec.?

boston area dtv said:
But the one I have was through direct tv. When I called the service center they told me they had numerous issues with CBS and ABC. The person on the line stated there were many complaints about those issues in the system.

Don't trust DirecTV to really help anybody with OTA, they want to sell you LiL via satellite. The D* OTA antenna is usually wrapped around the upper edge of the dish. The bent trombone looking thing has negative gain and is susceptible to multipath. Try buying a real antenna. www.antennaweb.org will tell you what type is right for your location.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)