Boston Spot Beam

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rgn2000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I currently use Dish Network and live in Albany, NY, but use a Mass address to get NESN and of course I get the Boston Locals. I am thinking of switching to Directv, but I am wondering if I will get the Boston locals with Direct. I have seen 2 different maps of the spot beams, they are...

http://wvjw.info/dbs-beam/dtv4s.gif

and

DTV Spots Map

They show different sizes for the Boston Spots. I would think it would be a similar size between both Dish and Directv. Is there anyway know because if it doesn't work I am screwed and there are no HD locals in my area?

Also, I am also assuming the HD's cover the same spots as the SD's, is this correct? If it weren't then some people who are entitled to the HD would not get it and only get the SD's and that would seem crazy.

Thanks for any help

I currently use Dish Network and live in Albany, NY, but use a Mass address to get NESN and of course I get the Boston Locals. I am thinking of switching to Directv, but I am wondering if I will get the Boston locals with Direct. I have seen 2 different maps of the spot beams, they are...

http://wvjw.info/dbs-beam/dtv4s.gif

and

DTV Spots Map

They show different sizes for the Boston Spots. I would think it would be a similar size between both Dish and Directv. Is there anyway know because if it doesn't work I am screwed and there are no HD locals in my area?

Also, I am also assuming the HD's cover the same spots as the SD's, is this correct? If it weren't then some people who are entitled to the HD would not get it and only get the SD's and that would seem crazy.

Thanks for any help

You would have to use an address from Worcester towards Boston (Worcester gets Boston Locals). Any zip code from Worcester towards New York (West of Worcester) will not get Boston locals, but will get NESN HD/SD. There was a time when Springfield couldn't get NESN HD but they have resolved this due to complaints that it was being offered in New Hampshire and other states outside of Massachusetts. Springfield is in Massachusetts so if Connecticut, New Hampshire, Eastern Massachusetts, Maine, and Vermont can get it, so should Western Massachusetts. The zip code chart they are using is messed up and not in compliance with FCC rules.

The Boston spot beam BTW is on 99 at transponder 4.

I get the Boston spot at full strength in Central CT so it reaches pretty well. The rule of thumb is around 150 miles or so around the center for HD and 200+ miles for SD. Not exact science but based on folks that have "moved" yet able to get the adjoining market beams.

Brewer4 - Where in CT. That is weird that it is 50 miles less for HD, how do they deal with people who are supposed to get it, but can't because of the 50 miles. They just say you are out of luck?

JTN - I live probably 80 miles from Springfield, so you are saying I might not even get NESN HD? Don't they make NESN HD available to everyone since it is a RSN? People are able to order all the RSN's (of course can't watch the pro games though) so you are saying someone in Ohio who ordered the RSN's would not get NESN in HD (for the non Red Sox / Bruins games schedule)?

Also JTN you said that the Boston Spot Beam is on 99 at transponder 4. Does that include the HD's? If I were to find someone in my area would they be able to check the signal strength for that and if it is strong enough then would it be safe to assume that I would get the channels? Or could there be other channels that we are supposed to get that would show a decent signal.

Thanks for all help. I just hate to do a 2 year committment if it won't work. But now I am nervous that even with DISH, I may not get the local HD's if it is less distance.

JTN - I live probably 80 miles from Springfield, so you are saying I might not even get NESN HD? Don't they make NESN HD available to everyone since it is a RSN? People are able to order all the RSN's (of course can't watch the pro games though) so you are saying someone in Ohio who ordered the RSN's would not get NESN in HD (for the non Red Sox / Bruins games schedule)?

They should have fixed the problem all of New England should be getting both NESN HD/SD. When I moved to Springfield, I could only get the SD, not the HD, and I called Engineering and now I get NESN HD. It's a problem with the way they have handled zip codes.

Also JTN you said that the Boston Spot Beam is on 99 at transponder 4. Does that include the HD's? If I were to find someone in my area would they be able to check the signal strength for that and if it is strong enough then would it be safe to assume that I would get the channels? Or could there be other channels that we are supposed to get that would show a decent signal.

Yes HD locals are on 99 tp 4, SD locals are on 101 tp 4 for Boston.

If you live in Connecticut you should be able to get this, but keep in mind if you don't give the true installation address, then equipment will be shipped to the physical address not billing address. You can have a different address for billing versus installation address. Locals are based on reported installation address.

Yes HD locals are on 99 tp 4, SD locals are on 101 tp 4 for Boston.

If you live in Connecticut you should be able to get this, but keep in mind if you don't give the true installation address, then equipment will be shipped to the physical address not billing address. You can have a different address for billing versus installation address. Locals are based on reported installation address.

I live in Albany, NY not CT. I am about 150 miles from Boston. So again you are saying that if someone with Directv near me can see a good signal on 99 tp4, and/or 101 tp4, I would definitely get them? There are no other channels that could interfere with them. NESN HD should not be a problem then cause I will be using a Franklin, MA zip code which is near Foxborough.

I am gonna go through an authorized dealer that I know very well that will do the install and be able to put in whatever address I want. Other then that I would just do the install at my current address and 2 weeks later "move". No big deal.

Thanks

I live in Albany, NY not CT. I am about 150 miles from Boston. So again you are saying that if someone with Directv near me can see a good signal on 99 tp4, and/or 101 tp4, I would definitely get them? There are no other channels that could interfere with them. NESN HD should not be a problem then cause I will be using a Franklin, MA zip code which is near Foxborough.

I am gonna go through an authorized dealer that I know very well that will do the install and be able to put in whatever address I want. Other then that I would just do the install at my current address and 2 weeks later "move". No big deal.

Thanks

If Vermont is allowed to get Boston Locals in HD when they have their own local network affiliates, then you should be able to also since Albany borders with Vermont. Keep in mind that if you report a false installation address, and get the Boston HD market with NESN HD you risk your account. Reason is this, if you should need a repair or alignment or need a replacement receiver sent out to you, DirecTV will send the technician or the equipment to the installation address. If the tech goes out and finds your not there, he will inform DirecTV, if FedEx delivers a replacement or new receiver to you based on reported installation address, it will be returned since you are not there. Then this will alert DirecTV something is amiss. If you have your receivers on network and internet for VOD, with the latest updates/firmware especially CE, then they will know you are not being honest about your installation address. They may not be enforcing it now (DirecTV), but they have been audited in the past and forced to correct it by FCC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts