Both Dish receivers reboot every hour

Blacksab1

Original poster
Jan 1, 2016
United States
Hello. I am hoping someone can come up with a fix for this. I have two Dish DVR's, one VIP612 and one VIP722. They are both rebooting once an hour and at the same time. I have had them both on trying to figure this out. They are both connected to the internet via wireless dongles. I have figured out that if I unplug the dongle, the receiver that is still plugged into the internet will reboot at least once an hour and the one that is unplugged will not. So, it seems that my rebooting problem has something to do with the internet connection of each receiver.I have gone through all the resets of my home network and both Dish receivers with no help. I also verified that the inactivity setting is correct (its turned off for both receivers). Only thing I can figure is that Dish sent out a software update that is causing this on both receivers. One receiver is a VIP612 and one is a VIP722. Any ideas?....Thanks!

I don't mean to be a smart ass but the best suggestion I could make would be to upgrade to a Hopper or two. :)

Good luck, Happy New and Welcome to Satelliteguys!

The only receiver I really need on the Internet is the 722 which has a Sling box on it for Dish Anywhere.... I have had this set up for years and it started this rebooting nightmare last weekend

A Hopper and a SuperJoey would give you more tuners, twice as much hard disk space where all your recordings would be in one place, apps, built in sling and wifi, and on and on. And it probably wouldn't reboot every hour. ;)

Reactions: Troch77
Well, thanks for the advice but I really don't need anymore than what I have... I have figured out that it's something to do with my Asus RT-AC66U wifi router... I switched the Internet connection to the AT&T modem internal wifi and no more hourly reboots.... Strangest thing I have ever seen.. Anyone know what setting in the Asus might be causing this? When either receiver is on the Asus you can almost set your watch as they reset exactly every hour

Well, thanks for the advice but I really don't need anymore than what I have... I have figured out that it's something to do with my Asus RT-AC66U wifi router... I switched the Internet connection to the AT&T modem internal wifi and no more hourly reboots.... Strangest thing I have ever seen.. Anyone know what setting in the Asus might be causing this? When either receiver is on the Asus you can almost set your watch as they reset exactly every hour
Ethernet connections worked better for me than Wifi. Your mileage may vary.
Good luck and don't fall for the Hopper kool-aid!

A VIP 612 and VIP722 use different software so you can eliminate that as a probable cause, also no problems with my 612. The internet is yur common problem look at replacing it, for a temporary repair unplug both.

A Hopper and a SuperJoey would give you more tuners, twice as much hard disk space where all your recordings would be in one place, apps, built in sling and wifi, and on and on. And it probably wouldn't reboot every hour. ;)
This really is a silly suggestion. Fixing the problem is what needed to be done. Can you imagine the angst if he followed your suggestion and the 'new' Hopper began booting every hour.

I see that he has successfully fixed his problem now, and without buying/upgrading to a Hopper.

Well, I guess it's fixed.... I also discovered that something is going haywire with the 5GHz wifi of my Asus... If I put the receivers on the 2.4Ghz wifi of the Asus no reboots. I am starting to think that someone else's 5GHz network is doing this to my receivers. I live in a housing development and have wifi analyzer which shows numerous other 5GHz users around. So, I guess my fix will be to leave both receivers on the 2.4Ghz wifi or hardwire them.

This really is a silly suggestion. Fixing the problem is what needed to be done. Can you imagine the angst if he followed your suggestion and the 'new' Hopper began booting every hour.

I see that he has successfully fixed his problem now, and without buying/upgrading to a Hopper.

To each their own. To me the silly thing is sticking with a 612 and a 722 when you can have a Hopper system.

To each their own. To me the silly thing is sticking with a 612 and a 722 when you can have a Hopper system.
I agree. It is a world of difference with the Hopper system. The 722 was great for its time. The Hopper keeps getting new stuff, and it works better than the 722(even with its bugs). The 722 is not getting new software really, except only to stay up to date. I just read on Facebook that the SD receivers are no longer being given, and are basically grandfathered in. I'm sure you can still buy one out of market, but how long that will be is another story. Good news is it appears to be a major step in the direction of eliminating the SD counterpart.

Well, I guess it depends.
A Hopper WS and Super Joey, Yes
A HWS and just a plain Joey, No!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wait until Tuesday or Wednesday and then let's see what you say. ;)

maybe you are getting a momentary voltage drop?..
This would explain them both dumping at the same time.

Got a tree branch rubbing on your power line?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts