Bought a 4k now what?

You'll have to buy the OTA module for $30 from Dish. That gives you one OTA tuner (two if you do the same for your other hopper). PTAT doesn't work with OTA. You can record or view one OTA channel at a time per hopper.

I don't really watch much tv but I will prob use PTAT just because I can.

PTAT A is real handy when a new program starts and you do not find out about it until a day later. You can just find it in the PTAT programs and click record series. Then you get it and all future recordings.

I remember when they started HD. I bought a 65" HD TV when they first came out. PBS had a four hour loop of HD that was beautiful. But after you watched it a few times, it got old. Then that fella in Dallas (Mark Cuban)started a HD channel on Dish and it soon got boring also, because there was not just that much video available. So, with 4K, be patient, it will take a while for much programming to become available, if ever. Since it is not mandatory, it may never be mainstream. That is a problem with being on the cutting edge of technology.

You would be surprised how much streaming content that there is now on Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube - series, movies and documentaries.

Is the data cap even enforced in most places? I would say between Netflix/Amazon/kodi/sling TV that 95% of what I watch is streamed (outside of football season).

I have never been warned about a cap. And uverse is what ? 250 gb? 350?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different cities and towns have different enforcements. It's not really enforced here in Phoenix unless you go over 700 multiple times in a short amount of time. I know in Tucson, I have heard of Comcast(or whoever is the local cable provider there) enforcing it. No one area is really indicative of the other, unless you have a national internet such as Hughes or Visat, and even then, they have different policies in different areas.

Thanks! .

Especially hooked to my new Sony 4k. I can't wait to see the upconversion.

Can I hook a OTA antenna to the hopper and replace the local stations with the OTA feed? If so will PTAT still work?

My local CBS announced they would do a 4K OTA feed soon.

I don't really watch much tv but I will prob use PTAT just because I can.

If your local CBS does a 4K OTA channel then chances are good you will need to hook up your OTA feed directly to your digital tuner in your 4K UHDTV.

If your local CBS does a 4K OTA channel then chances are good you will need to hook up your OTA feed directly to your digital tuner in your 4K UHDTV.
I didn't think that 4k could be broadcast OTA yet, I didn't know that the technical issues had been ironed out yet, wouldn't that be ATSC 3.0 standard, and that isn't finalized. Where are they getting the bandwidth?

I didn't think that 4k could be broadcast OTA yet, I didn't know that the technical issues had been ironed out yet, wouldn't that be ATSC 3.0 standard, and that isn't finalized. Where are they getting the bandwidth?
Your guess is as good as mine it was HDMI guy who posted that they have a CBS station that said they were going to do a 4K OTA channel soon.

According to a little cursory reading, that would be ATSC 3.0, but that is not yet an "official" standard, thus there are no tuners yet and it is experimental at this stage. I don't think any station is broadcasting it commercially as the "standard" hasn't been adopted by the FCC and it would not allow a station to broadcast that format commercially at this point. If anything it would be experimental and would still require a license from the FCC. I think Sinclair had or has permission to experiment with ATSC 3.0 at one point.

Ok got installed this afternoon. Not as big of a learning curve as I though. And wow what a upgrade!

However my installer said the hoppers cannot be linked together? I thought that you could view and watch the contents of one from the other?

You can. They are not integrated so you cannot use their tuners independently between the two. If you want to see the recorded content of the other, hit DVR>up top you'll see the color coated buttons and there will be a gray one, highlight and select it, drop to the other hopper>select program off the other hopper. With that said, if just installed, it can take 72 hours for everything to work correctly, FYI

Thanks ChadT. !

So what is the best way to utilize a dual Hopper system? Split the timers 50/50 (or as close as) or all on one? Or some other way?

Depends on how your household watches. I watch certain programs in my room, like wrestling, so I have those programs on my bedroom hopper, and I watch other programs with my girlfriend in the living room, so I have those setup in the living room hopper. Others use one to record almost everything, and use their second with the Joeys to view live programming. It just depends on your household and what works best for you.

We have two hoppers with one in the family room and one in MB. We have PTAT set for everyday in the MB and just one day on FR. The kids pretty much use the FR hopper an my wife and I use the MB hopper. The benefits of setting up PTAT for just one night on FR Hopper is any prime time shows recorded from the big 4 networks get the auto hop feature regardless of which night they record. It's also nice to have the second hopper when you have a timer conflict. The hopper will ask if you want to set the timer on your other hopper.

Thanks ChadT. !

So what is the best way to utilize a dual Hopper system? Split the timers 50/50 (or as close as) or all on one? Or some other way?
My wife's HWS is in the livingroom and mine is in the bedroom. I record her shows on hers using satellite tuners and my most favorite shows on hers using OTA tuner. In the bedroom I record my favorite shows using satellite tuners and my wife's most favorite shows using OTA tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts