GEOSATpro Box Temperature

I have noted it from day one, but it purrs right along. Brian said he put it in a hot box for several days, making it even hotter and it worked fine. I do wonder about time though how it will go. I am going to install a little 12V fan in fine when I get time. I have not turned mine off now for over two months other than software resets but that really is not off long if you call it that.;)

It's a furnace!
Dam good thing they put the power supply outside or it would melt the plastic case.
No doubt it will shorten the componet life.

My Manhattan ran cool enough that it actually lowers the room temperature.

I have three of them running on a rack shelf inside a mobile rack, and they have had no heat issues. I find the tops of the units get warm, but not alarmingly hot. It should be noted that they are running in close proximity to an AC unit that is set at 70 degrees, so that may help to keep them cooler than they would normally be.

It's a furnace!
Dam good thing they put the power supply outside or it would melt the plastic case.
No doubt it will shorten the componet life.

My Manhattan ran cool enough that it actually lowers the room temperature.

Its not that hot, just what I would call pretty warm, but like tron said nothing alarming.

ke4est said:
Its not that hot, just what I would call pretty warm, but like tron said nothing alarming.

I agree.

However pixl has a big setup and sends more power then the normal person so that could make sense why his got so hot?? (just a guess).

I wonder if u use a powered switch if that would cut down on the heat produced?

If the unit is off (plugged in with DC 12 supplied) if is as cool as a cucumber, so a switch would make no difference.
I placed a small fan next to the box which seems to help cool it down a bit more than convection only. It also cools my ATSC tuner which gets even hotter.
If the MicroHD is sitting on a shelf out in the open it should be fine; mine is located inside a cabinet where heat can build up.

In our testing of dozens of units over the past year, we haver never observed the microHD case to be uncomfortably hot to the touch. In my personal opinion, I have found the microHD to be one of the lower operational temperatures of all HD STBs that I have tested.

The regulator for the LNBF power generates very little heat under sustained rated load. The processor is the main source of heat. High definition decoding generates the most heat. Even under full bandwidth HD load for several hours, the case only becomes warm to the touch. There should be no need for a fan in a typical installation with adequate air flow and reasonable ambient room temperatures.

So i have looked @ my microHD with a laser temp reader and this is what i have found the little box dose indeed gets hot it is on one of my componet self that is 14 and a half in wide by 5 1/4 in tall open front and back anyways this is the temps i pulled off the box 149.6 F@ the HDMI plug at the back of the unit 152.2 F@ the bottom of the unit on the power plug side 160.5 F@ the top vents in the center of the unit so looking @ these temps when i get my New reciever i think im going to indeed put a fan on it to cool it down thats just my two sense

phantom_76 said:
So i have looked @ my microHD with a laser temp reader and this is what i have found the little box dose indeed gets hot it is on one of my componet self that is 14 and a half in wide by 5 1/4 in tall open front and back anyways this is the temps i pulled off the box 149.6 F@ the HDMI plug at the back of the unit 152.2 F@ the bottom of the unit on the power plug side 160.5 F@ the top vents in the center of the unit so looking @ these temps when i get my New reciever i think im going to indeed put a fan on it to cool it down thats just my two sense

Could be overkill but it would be awesome to see someone put a liquid cooled ride on the Ali Chip. Lol!!

Could be overkill but it would be awesome to see someone put a liquid cooled ride on the Ali Chip. Lol!!

The Ali chip already has a nice big heat sink on it. Brian has said multiple times that the heat it generates isn't excessive, but I suppose if a fan makes you feel better, it can't hurt. I cool down my Dish VIP622 with an exhaust fan.

primestar31 said:
The Ali chip already has a nice big heat sink on it. Brian has said multiple times that the heat it generates isn't excessive, but I suppose if a fan makes you feel better, it can't hurt. I cool down my Dish VIP622 with an exhaust fan.

My microhd that stays on 24/7 most of the time does not get hot just warm. So I have no need for a fan. But if I did add a fan I would go way over the top.