Boxee Box Adds SlingPlayer App

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
So can we Sling from a DVR to a Boxee Box (connected to our TV, of course) in our own home network? I believe so, but I wanted confirmation. If so, this makes the SlingCatcher or the now vaporware Sling Monitor (I forgot the official name--Sling . . . I don't know, the monitor that was supposed to "catch" the Sling wireless) possibly NOT worth waiting for as the Boxee Box has added value as a streaming box for Netflix, etc.

It currently doesn't work with the 922, and I doubt that it will work with other Dish Network receivers. Hopefully, they will add Dish receiver support in the future.

Is this not major news for those of us who have been waiting for streaming in HD to a 2nd TV in our home network? I don't own either Roku or Boxee Box, so I don't really know how this will work. It seem that I should be able to use Sling from my HD DVR (Sling Adapter) through my home Ethernet network to a connected Boxee Box and be able to watch and control my HD DVR just like any other reception of the Slinged content, except I can now view it on my 2nd HD TV in another room in the house. In other words, it would seem to work pretty much as the Sling Monitor or a Sling Catcher, if that product were to work well and was still available. Do I have that right, or was the previous post correct in stating that it won't work with Dish Network receivers, but, presumably, only with the stand-alone Sling products?

Yes, I would LOVE for it to also be available on Roku. Roku is cheaper and maybe a bit better by offering the most content, although I do believe the Boxee Box dose allow ATSC and other user content to stream, as well.

Last edited:
Didn't dish deactivate the sling app though, so now you need to go through dish online for streaming? Or did they turn that access back on? This would be great if it works, but I don't think it does. I think Dish has locked down the Sling to their own network/software.

Doesn't work with the neutered slingplayers that dish has. It works great with the standalone slingplayers though. I used it on a road trip last week. Very nice.

OK, thanks so much for the clarification. It sounds like it is the Sling Boxes only for viewing on the Boxee Box. What at rip! I don't really want to spend that much money for a Sling HD box. I guess I wait and see how things develop with the XiP's.

The sling adapter is essentially free, meant to be used on the Dish system. The Slingbox costs quite alot, but it can do ten times the things a sling adapter can, not only for TV but many other devices. Why feel ripped off because a device for free it is not for outside applications like a Boxee Box? Dish is giving you a way to see your TV through the adapter for free, using the Dish system. Want more? buy the Slingbox. FWIW - I use it almost everyday for a couple of applications, worth what it costs.

Since I already had a Slingbox Pro HD, I decided to get one of these, it works pretty well over my network. I get about 8 megabits and the picture looks good. Control is a bit wonky, but I've found using the Dish Remote app on my phone or rooted nook is easier for controlling the channel changing and such. Having all the other apps as well makes it worth it. It even plays my MKV and Blu Ray files over the net, surprisingly well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)