Boxes act like there was a power outage

Too high for what? I've used the eastern arc several times at Midway Campground on the Tamiami Trail (US 41) about 50 miles due west of Miami with a 58.4 degree elevation.
I don't remember where but I think I once read something about rain fade getting worse the higher the elevation (or was it lower? or both?). Also, what SS were you getting? Because your 1000.4 is going to pull signal a little better then the 1000.2's Dish predominantly installs (Although that might not even matter, took a look at satbeams.com and Miami fits perfectly in the bottom of the hottest zone of the satellite's footprints).

I keep trying to think of reasons Miami is an WA only market and nothing else besides the elevation and maybe weather(?) comes to mind.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't remember where but I think I once read something about rain fade getting worse the higher the elevation (or was it lower? or both?). Also, what SS were you getting? Because your 1000.4 is going to pull signal a little better then the 1000.2's Dish predominantly installs (Although that might not even matter, took a look at satbeams.com and Miami fits perfectly in the bottom of the hottest zone of the satellite's footprints).

I keep trying to think of reasons Miami is an WA only market and nothing else besides the elevation and maybe weather(?) comes to mind.
According to my notes, the SS for 72.7 was 64 on TP 21. I note that the West Palm Beach DMA is just 65 miles north of Miami with a 57.7 elevation and is on both arcs. I have no idea why Miami is WA only.

My original problem was the box going through the entire boot sequence like happens after a power outage. The 'check switch' apparently has taken care of that problem.

Now #5 needs more input. My dish has 3 LNBs. Am I correct in thinking that since there were three satellites for the eastern arc that each LNB targeted only one satellite and that the dish was pointed somewhere in between 61.5 and 77?

** having put more thought and damaging more brain cells that I can't spare to lose, I remembered that I have two boxes, one of which can run two TVs on different channels so maybe the three LNBs are for the 3 different TVs?

I realize that the answer to the above may make the below questions moot.

Since only 61.5 and 72 are left should I adjust the dish to get a better signal, like halfway between the two remaining satellites??

Does each satellite carry the same channels or do I need them both to get my full spread?

A big hearty thank you to all that have replied and helped!

My original problem was the box going through the entire boot sequence like happens after a power outage. The 'check switch' apparently has taken care of that problem.

Now #5 needs more input. My dish has 3 LNBs. Am I correct in thinking that since there were three satellites for the eastern arc that each LNB targeted only one satellite and that the dish was pointed somewhere in between 61.5 and 77?

** having put more thought and damaging more brain cells that I can't spare to lose, I remembered that I have two boxes, one of which can run two TVs on different channels so maybe the three LNBs are for the 3 different TVs?

I realize that the answer to the above may make the below questions moot.

Since only 61.5 and 72 are left should I adjust the dish to get a better signal, like halfway between the two remaining satellites??

Does each satellite carry the same channels or do I need them both to get my full spread?

A big hearty thank you to all that have replied and helped!
Eash Sat carries different channels. You need them both (and one carries the guide info). With 50-60 signals, don't even think about adjusting dish. As far as spring/leaves, cross that bridge if and when you come to it.

A lower dish elevation would cause more propensity to suffer from rain fade. There's more atmosphere to go through at a lower dish elevation (not to be confused with height above sea level).

Eash Sat carries different channels. You need them both (and one carries the guide info). With 50-60 signals, don't even think about adjusting dish. As far as spring/leaves, cross that bridge if and when you come to it.

I have a problem of 3's that I'd to sort out for what sanity I have left. Originally there were 3 satellites on the the eastern arc, my dish has 3 LNBs, and the 3 TVs in the house can all be on different channels at the same time. So is it one LNB for each TV, or is it one LNB for each satellite?

I know that for a C or Ku band you can have multiple LNBs on a dish for different satellites and not have to move the dish. But then one LNB for each TV makes sense also.

I have a problem of 3's that I'd to sort out for what sanity I have left. Originally there were 3 satellites on the the eastern arc, my dish has 3 LNBs, and the 3 TVs in the house can all be on different channels at the same time. So is it one LNB for each TV, or is it one LNB for each satellite?

I know that for a C or Ku band you can have multiple LNBs on a dish for different satellites and not have to move the dish. But then one LNB for each TV makes sense also.
It is one LNB per sat, and if you keep this up, you will be on the funny farm soon.;)

• Wow

For C/Ku band, each LNB can feed multiple receivers, you don't need an LNB for each receiver.

It is one LNB per sat, and if you keep this up, you will be on the funny farm soon.;)
Too late....They're coming to take me away,
Haha, they're coming to take me away,
Ho ho, hee hee, ha ha,
To the funny farm
Where Life is Beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see
Those Nice Young ladies
In their Clean White Coats
And they're coming to take me AWAY,
HA HAAAAA

Last edited:
BTW, thank you for the answer. Even though it appears my dish is pointed at Nimig 5 at 72.7 which makes sense b/c it would have been the middle sat and LNB, 72 isn't on any of the option in the pointing screen no matter what system I choose. My equipment was installed in 2010 and the satellite at 72 was launched in 2009.

I say it's pointed at 72 for two reasons.

1. I put my 1 meter dish on 61.5, which I know is behind trees and did a blind scan for everything (including scrambled) which came up with nothing at all. No surprise there.

2. I took out my old lensatic compass to get a ball park reading then did some backwards research to see what satellite was on that bearing and came up with 72.7.

When I go to the pointing screen it wants to know what system I have, i.e. 300, 500, Super dish etc. Should I care at this point what system I have?

If all that screen does is give the magnetic bearing and elevation I've wasted a lot of keystrokes.

BTW, thank you for the answer. Even though it appears my dish is pointed at Nimig 5 at 72.7 which makes sense b/c it would have been the middle sat and LNB, 72 isn't on any of the option in the pointing screen no matter what system I choose. My equipment was installed in 2010 and the satellite at 72 was launched in 2009.

I say it's pointed at 72 for two reasons.

1. I put my 1 meter dish on 61.5, which I know is behind trees and did a blind scan for everything (including scrambled) which came up with nothing at all. No surprise there.

2. I took out my old lensatic compass to get a ball park reading then did some backwards research to see what satellite was on that bearing and came up with 72.7.

When I go to the pointing screen it wants to know what system I have, i.e. 300, 500, Super dish etc. Should I care at this point what system I have?

If all that screen does is give the magnetic bearing and elevation I've wasted a lot of keystrokes.
The alignment numbers used for the eastern arc are based on hitting 72.7 with the center LNB on the triple set used with the 1000.4 dish or the left LNB (from behind the dish) on the dual LNB's used with the 1000.2 dish. With the skew set to the correct angle, the other LNB(s) will be correctly aimed. The western arc triple LNB's work the same way, with the 119 sat center LNB as the aiming point.

Thanks to all for the help. I need to go now, I see several people in white coats carrying a straight jacket.
Do not lose it!

Dish LNB assemblies (with more than 1 LNB connected together) have a switch built in. So any output can go any receiver. If it's any of the more recent LNB/switch assemblies, each output is DIshPro Plus, which means each cable can feed two tuners such as what exists in your 222. The receiver figures out which satellite is on which LNB and automatically switches the right one for the channel you want.

Well, this thread saved me from thinking my 722k was dying on me with the repeated signal acquiring process.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts