BR/HD-DVD PQ in true 1920x1080 res

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I've heard less than stunning reviews of the PQ on both HD DVD and BR in comparison to a good upconverting DVD player, certainly nothing to warrant the costs involved.

I would expect most of those were done on 720p TV's.

Anyone have any idea on how it looks on a true 1080p TV where it can be showed in native resolution with no downrezzing?

Like most I'm going to wait for this to shuffle out and honestly a good high res multichannel music format for either BR or HD-DVD is what will attract me more than movies but I've always found there is a story behind the story.

I'd love to see a 1:1 comparison of DVD and HD-DVD/BR on the same 1080p TV.

Oh and why do both the BR and HD-DVD players look like a 1976 JVC VHS player with a tray instead a top loader? :)

Eric_C said:
I've heard less than stunning reviews of the PQ on both HD DVD and BR in comparison to a good upconverting DVD player, certainly nothing to warrant the costs involved.
Exactly what planet are you from?

The one where there were several reviews of HD-DVD's not being a leap beyond a good upscaling DVD player for most of the content.

One the hoopla passes how long until people start bitching about poor HD transfers like they bitched about HD Lite and other things effecting the HD sat services?

If you think this is some shot at HD-DVD I have more important things than to play fan boy to either one of a currently overpriced product.

I think you should travel to your local best buy and see how bad the picture is. I think youll be amazed by how good the picture acually is.

Well today we made our rounds to 2 BB's and 1 CC.

None of them had HD DVD on a TV.

BB say the BD people paid to take over the HD-DVD endcaps.

I did see Spiderman 2 and some other demo's playing on a BD player and a 42 version of the Samsung's new 1080p DLP. I have the same TV in 61".

BD looked bad...at times there were shots where it looked great, I watched the subway train fight scene. Overall the PQ I picked up off of HBO HD was far superior overall.

When I asked the guy at CC where the HD DVD display was he pointed me to the BD display. I told him that was BD and I wanted to see HD-DVD to which he replied "That is hidef DVD".

This was the BB and CC in Brighton, Michigan and another BB in Novi, Michigan.

No Clue

Eric_C said:
Well today we made our rounds to 2 BB's and 1 CC.

None of them had HD DVD on a TV.

BB say the BD people paid to take over the HD-DVD endcaps.

I did see Spiderman 2 and some other demo's playing on a BD player and a 42 version of the Samsung's new 1080p DLP. I have the same TV in 61".

BD looked bad...at times there were shots where it looked great, I watched the subway train fight scene. Overall the PQ I picked up off of HBO HD was far superior overall.

When I asked the guy at CC where the HD DVD display was he pointed me to the BD display. I told him that was BD and I wanted to see HD-DVD to which he replied "That is hidef DVD".

This was the BB and CC in Brighton, Michigan and another BB in Novi, Michigan.

It has become scary going into a BB, Circuit City, or heaven forbid...Compusa! NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING...and I mean NOTHING...NADA!!!!

I like the new ones at best buy...They politely ask if they can help you with any questions...ask one and you get the "deer in the headlights" look!!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts