Break off 129 to seperate Dish

Mike_H

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Twin Cities, MN
I have a Dish Pro 1000 antenna currently. It has the single LNB plus the Double LNB. The outputs from this dish is plugged into a DP34 Switch, with then 4 wires running into my home from the switch.

I have a 622, a 510, and a 501. And would like to achieve better than the 20 signal strength I saw on 129 today during a light rain while 110 was showing 45.

Can I just get a Dish500 dish and take the single LNB off the Dish 1000 and move it to the Dish500 Dish? Then feed that into the DP34 switch? Or is there a better LNB to get to go with the 500 antenna?

Need some help figuring out all this wiring. Thanks

yes. you can do that get dish 500 with I bracket or y bracket it will work you wont need any additional equipment expert a dish it self.

Just to confirm,

I have a dish that looks like this.
DISH1000.jpg

And so to move 129 on to it's own, I take the single LNB (DP Dual) off the dish above, and buy a Dish 500 that looks like this, putting the Single LNB from the 1000 into this.
MVC-027Sa.JPG

Peak the single to 129, peak the 1000 to 119 and I should be good to go?

Anyone have a link to how to wire this up with DP34 switch? I've seen some information that makes me think I need a dp44 switch to do this, even though I am using those lnb's currently with a DP34.

Just to confirm,

I have a dish that looks like this.
DISH1000.jpg

And so to move 129 on to it's own, I take the single LNB (DP Dual) off the dish above, and buy a Dish 500 that looks like this, putting the Single LNB from the 1000 into this.
MVC-027Sa.JPG

Peak the single to 129, peak the 1000 to 119 and I should be good to go?

Anyone have a link to how to wire this up with DP34 switch? I've seen some information that makes me think I need a dp44 switch to do this, even though I am using those lnb's currently with a DP34.

If you are going to buy another dish for 129, don't buy a 500. Get something bigger like a 76cm or larger.

I wish I could, I don't have the space. Though if you could point me to a link for exactly what I need I might consider it. Can it be mounted to a roof without too much concern? The current dish is mounted to the roof of a kitchen bay window that sticks out a bit. I'm going to move the main dish and hope to add a second about 20 feet closer to the entrance to the home on the roof of a 3 season porch.

Note I'm seeing information that says the DPPTwin can not be connected to a DP34 switch. Yet mine is. Do I not have a DPPTwin? I'm confused.

Note I'm seeing information that says the DPPTwin can not be connected to a DP34 switch. Yet mine is. Do I not have a DPPTwin? I'm confused.
Despite all info to the contrary, the DPP Twin does play well with the DP34. Mine does, and has for two years now.

I did google searches, that's not the problem. Problem for me is what all do I need.

So I get a winegard 76cm dish. Does that come with the necessary mount, i.e. just the feet that bolt to something? Is that going to be sufficient for a roof mount and that size dish? Should I add some braces to the antenna shaft?

When I mounted my 76cm dish, I put up some plywood on the eave to be able to mount it and to provide additional strength. the mount for the 76cm dish is MUCH bigger than the Dish 500 mount.

But I LOVE the signal strength that I get from the 129 bird

It comes with all the hardware (except the lag bolts to bolt it to your house) I didn't need any additional braces or anything. It seems pretty solid.

Beware... THIS IS A BIG DISH. It will make your D1000 look tiny, and your neighbors will be wondering if NASA is moving Mission Control to your house.

if you're using the single lnbf from a dish1000, just putting it on a separate dish, you don't need any additional equipment (switches etc). Reroute, or if necessary, replace the cable that runs from the single lnbf with one long enough to reach to where its new home will be.

wow this sounds like exactly want I want to do. I currently have a dish 1000 that looks like the one in the picture above and i get terrible rain fade. I also have 2 dish 500 up in my attic from previous installs. So if i understand all this right I have everything I need.

a few questions though.

1) will this result in a signal boost across all 3 satellites?

2) is using the dish1000 for the 110 and 119 better than putting that on my second dish500? so a dish 500 for 129 and a second dish500 for 110 119.

3) is there any reason to buy a 24" dish over the dish 500 for 129? would it improve the signal much?

My situation is I'm in a town home and the association is resisting me putting up a second dish unless it's a last resort. I had a talk with a local installer, he said that if i had him come out and re-aim my dish and i was still unhappy with the signal he would write me up something to take to the association stating i needed a second dish for improvement. But since they're already pissy about a second dish (even though it's on the back side of the house out of sight) I don't think they would appreciate a "NASA ground control" dish like mentioned above. I'm not looking for perfect signal, i'd just like to not lose my signal with every time it sprinkles outside. Before HD i had a rock solid signal with my dish 500.

in case someone tries to point out an alternative for me. I only have 2 lines going in to the house right now and both are connected to 622s. So i need that separator thing to work with whatever setup i end up with. oh and i'm a noob when it comes to all this dish talk :D.

Here are my expectations.
119 will stay the same (dish was peaked off 119)
110 will get better.
129 will get better.

I'm going to do the 76CM dish... No reason not to, and 129 is really low power. All my stuff will be moved to the back of the house rather than the side. Only back yard neighbors will see anything, and it shouldn't bother them. Up side, brings me 20 feet or so closer to the entrance of the house. Down side, takes me 20 feet further from the service entrance ground. I'll have to drive a grounding rod, and run a bonding wire to the service entrance ground.

I'm going to purchase some compression ends and tool off e-bay, a spool of RG6 off somewhere if local Anixter can't cut me a deal. Then I'll take a day off (winter is coming) and move it all and rewire in one day. I need to add a line upstairs as well due to a room change.

Thanks for the tips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)