Breaking Concrete

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jagee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I have a 10 foot dish that looks like i have to move,I have 150 lbs poured around the pole.What is the fastest way to removet he concrete with,Or how many guys do you think i would need to lift it out and carry to re concrete over.I am having problems finding another pool in the scrap yard.

dig it up. 150 lbs is about 1 cubic foot. you should be able to get it out in one piece. Maybe have a friend help.

Thank you i was thinking that but wasn't to sure.

The hard part is lifting it out of the ground. You're talking deadlifting the concrete when you can't get yourself directly "underneath" the weight since you'll have to reach your arms out in order to ensure you're not standing on the concrete. Then you have the problem that the concrete was likely not smooth, and so dirt/roots/etc will be in every nook and cranny of that concrete trying to keep it from lifting out of the ground.

Once it's out of the hole and on the ground, it's no problem for one guy to handle (heck it's got a pretty nice sized lever - in the shape of a pole - to give you leverage to move it around). I suggest a few guys and some good digging around the crete, and loosen it up as best possible.... OR use an engine hoist to lift it out of the hole - it'll make the process more simple than you ever imagined (hoist/cherry picker rental is a trivial amount of money compared to the effort of lifting a stubborn/long/heavy pole).

I just re-read your post, and it says only 150lbs. That might not be so tough to lift out afterall. I've never pulled a post with that little of amount of cement. It's usually enough cement to fill a 55 gallon drum (or more), so maybe 150lbs will be a piece of cake :)

The only Primestar pole I dug up had about that much concrete, so I dug all the way around the top just to find the edges. I then used a post hole digger to dig out one side only down about a foot and a half.

Then just reached over and pulled the pole to me, then lifted it out.

It wasn't too bad.

Fred

Thank you for all the advice.Ill let you know the out come later.Now to find some help LOL.Thats what my Grandchildren and their friends are for i hope

the poles that i have pulled with cement i dug a trench to one side to lay the pole over and use a wedge and sledge hammer to split the concrete it usually splits into 2 sections then all you have to lift is the pole.:)

IF you are going to transplant it somewhere else you really are better off breaking off the concrete and pouring new concrete in a new hole with the pole. It is that liquid filling the hole and setting up pressing against the soil that really keeps it in place better. I dont think it will be as secure just digging a new hole and plopping the old pole and old concrete in. You will never get the soil around it compacted well enough to keep it from leaning, IMO

As Vurbano says... and it would be a son of a gun to level properly with the concrete on it...

Actually, with the concrete on it, it weighs itself down/level pretty easily. I dropped a pole with several hundred pounds of existing concrete on it down into a huge hole. It set itself almost perfectly plumb. I poured a bunch of concrete around that, burried that under about 1-2 ft of dirt and it's solid enough to have sustaned a "bump" from my jeep without knocking it outta plumb.

SLedgehamma!! and railroad bar. Tim Taylor method----gruunnttt.
Done several that way, but of course I would have preferred a backhoe, esp one of those with the hammer-drill attachment on it. Just get the dish off the pole first, so you dont bend it up. Dig a little around the base, and whack a few times = it'll come out ok.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts