BREAKING: DirecTV Internationals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I was sent this by a few contacts. Thought I would pass it along. It appears soon Dish Network will have REAL compition when it comes to internationals!

DirecTV is now offering International Language Programming a la carte.
VietnameseDirect (SBTN), on channel 2072, is currently available.

Now available: VietnameseDirect (SBTN).
Mid October: HindiDirect and TamilDirect.
Coming soon: Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese, Italian, Tagalog, Greek, Russian, Korean, German, Japanese, Polish, and French.

Base package is required before adding an International a la carte package.
Can be added to any Total Choice/Opción Extra Especial base package.
Customers can also choose Basic or Preferred Choice as their base package.
36 inch dish and APG receiver needed to receive International Programming (transmitted from 95 satellite).

Requirements/Commitments

Base package required before adding an International a la carte package.
Can be added to any Total Choice/Opción Extra Especial base package.
Customers can also choose Basic or Preferred Choice as their base package.
Customers who commit to a year of any International Package and Preferred Choice or above receive a Monthly Credit: Dish for Int'l Service ($12.50/mo.) to offset $150 equipment purchase price.

If customer requests Basic, remind them that they will not receive monthly credit with Basic.

Customers agree to annual programming commitment and are subject to cancellation fee of up to $150.

Equipment Requirements

36 inch dish and APG receiver required for International Programming (transmitted from 95 satellite).

36" dish receives programming from 101 and 95 satellites.
In some cases, more than 1 dish will be needed based on programming requested (Example: Customers in 119 local channel market need 2 dishes to get locals).

Equipment price is $150. Customers who commit to a year of any International Package and Preferred Choice or above will receive a Monthly Credit: Dish for Int'l Service ($12.50/mo.) for a year to offset $150 price.
DVR and HD receivers are available with International Equipment orders (additional charges apply).

Remember you read it here at SatelliteGuys.US. :)

I noticed on the D* website that the Base package to add International channels is $9.99/mo, what additional channels does this include or is it just like E* $5/mo access fee and not include any additional channels? What additional channels does the Preferred Choice package include for $29.99/mo?

jamielee said:
Why would you need a new dish? Ive had 91w(expressvu) 101 110 119 on the one 18x24, i tie strapped a lnb to the right of the 101LNB and got the 91sat

Because 95 is an FSS bird just like 105 and 121 over at E* and will require a SuperDish like dish to receive one or more of those International channels, plus core channels and local channels at 101 at the same time. I also Noticed that those people who's locals are on 119 will require 2 dishes in order to receive their locals at 119, core at 101 and one of the International channels at 95. It appears that this 36" dish will not support all 5 (72.5, 95, 101, 110 and 119) D* orbital locations with 1 dish, only 2 or 3 contrary to Scott's earlier report. Perhaps it will support 3 locations such as 72.5, 95 and 101?

Im not sure, the above information comes directly from DirecTV so hopefully they got the channel number correct. :)

"36 inch dish and APG receiver required for International Programming (transmitted from 95 satellite)"

Does that mean I need two receivers at each TV, one APG and one regular DirecTV?

Thanks,

Bob

I am really happy that DirecTV is working towards this now...would be seriously looking at them now...only reason I was at Dish was coz of Int'ls. Now I shall compare the two. Am also looking forward to Tivo...better than DVRs on Dish I believe.
What kind of deals does DirecTV offer on HD Tivo, for new customers?

Scott - What about subs already using the triple LNB dish? Can they add a 95-only dish and switch?

Also, will ALL of the upcoming languages you mention above be on the 95 bird? Is there a chance that some might be on one of the main birds?

GaryPen said:
Scott - What about subs already using the triple LNB dish? Can they add a 95-only dish and switch?

Also, will ALL of the upcoming languages you mention above be on the 95 bird? Is there a chance that some might be on one of the main birds?

I read somewhere that if your locals are on 119 you will need a 2nd dish to receive 95, so I guess that means if you have a Phase lll dish and want to keep all those channels you will need a 2nd dish to get 95.

Of course I understand needing another dish for 95. What I was asking specifically is if there will be a smaller, 95-only dish, instead of the gargantuan Superdish-like dual 101/95 dish, as the Phase III already has 101 reception?

GaryPen said:
Of course I understand needing another dish for 95. What I was asking specifically is if there will be a smaller, 95-only dish, instead of the gargantuan Superdish-like dual 101/95 dish, as the Phase III already has 101 reception?

The 95 slot is FSS which is why the dish is so big, even a dish just for 95 would have to be as big.

It is quite possible all international channels will at the 95 satellite or other FSS satellite instead of their own DBS bird. Quite simple, the Jade World channels has been reloacted from 110 to 119.

Since the 95 slot is an FSS sat, you need a larger dish due to the fact that the lower freq has a larger beam pattern. D*Way uses the 95 position for it's internet service, so I was wondering if they are making a compatible LNB upgrade to take advantage of those who already have the 95 for internet. Also, I am willing to bet that you could use a D*Way dish with a standard LNB to get the programming.

GaryPen said:
Ouch.

Is it possible that some of the new Internationals may end up on a DBS bird? Or, is the plan to put ALL new internationals on 95?

No. APG stands for Advanced Program Guide. Most new receivers, such as the D-10, the HNS SA-HBH and many others are Advanced Program Guide receivers.

rjruby said:
"36 inch dish and APG receiver required for International Programming (transmitted from 95 satellite)"

Does that mean I need two receivers at each TV, one APG and one regular DirecTV?

Thanks,

Bob

No, APG stands for Advanced Program Guide. Most receivers available today have the Advanced Program Guide feature.

All new international channels will be coming exclusively off 95. This bird requires the larger dish because it is mid-powered.

Most multi-sat receivers will be able to receive these new channels, (check if your receiver has an auto-configure setting to automatically find what type of dish is connected).

VietnameseDirect (SBTN) is on channel 2072.

This new 36" dish can see both 95 and 101. If you need 110 or 119 you will need a triple LNB plus new 6x8 multi switch. If you need 72.5 programming, you will need an 18" plus 4x4 multi switch.

More to come.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)