BREAKING NEWS: Donovan to coach magic

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 13, 2005
daytona beach
espn is reporting the orlando magic have announced an 11am friday press conference to announce florida gator coach billy donovan as their new head coach. sources report donovan agreed to a five-year, $27.5 million contract.

all i can say is that i hope it works out for billy. sources are also saying the gators will hire former assistant coach anthony grant, head coach at virginia commonwealth (i believe....they beat duke in the first round of this years ncaa tourney).

It'll make for an interesting season in the SEC with Florida and Kentucky breaking in new coaching staffs.

Wonder if he knew this a while back and that's why he turned down the Kentucky job.

nothing would shock me anymore. but if i recall, he said he was never offered the kentucky job or the memphis job.

like i said, i hope he'll be more larry brown like than tim floyd. at least, brown won both an ncaa and nba championship.

nothing would shock me anymore. but if i recall, he said he was never offered the kentucky job or the memphis job.

like i said, i hope he'll be more larry brown like than tim floyd. at least, brown won both an ncaa and nba championship.

LMAO....how will HE do any better than the previous coach WHO HAD NBA experience?? I think he made a COACHING mistake. Money wise, how are you gonna say no to AT LEAST HALF being garaunteed?? They have not given out details yet, but I hope Oralndo did not give a coach with NO NBA caoching experience total control....

I think he just killed Florida. WHat a shame. With their recent history players would have been beating down the door to play there for him.

I think he just killed Florida. WHat a shame. With their recent history players would have been beating down the door to play there for him.

Yeah, because before he got there Lon Kruger didn't have that great of a team.

College coaching is a lot about recruiting. This may be why a lot of college head coaches don't find success in the NBA. Everybody in the NBA are great X and O guys, motivating your players is the big difference, so we'll see what kind of motivator Donovan is. It's one thing to recruit and coach All Americans on the college level, and another to coach the hand you're dealt when you can't reload your bench with McDonald high school all-americans. Good luck Billy, you'll need it.

you know what.....this longtime, die-hard gator fan isn't upset. i mean, heck, we rebounded from spurrier's departure, although we got stuck with the ron zook era for 3 years.

so the basketball team might be in a down period for a few years but i'm sure they will rebound.

and i really hope billy can work some magic with the magic!

NBA head coach must be one of the worst jobs there is IMO. Dealing with all of those walking corporations in basketball shorts.

actually, i've read that he didn't actually put his billy donovan on the contract yet. i'm also reading reports that he's saying the magic pressured him into taking the job. this could get real ugly!

actually, i've read that he didn't actually put his billy donovan on the contract yet. i'm also reading reports that he's saying the magic pressured him into taking the job. this could get real ugly!

I was just going on what ESPN was saying this morning on Sportscenter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)