Breaking News Live from the Directv Entertainment Expo

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You would think they would roll out at least a few hd channels soon if anything for testing purposes to see how the satellite operates at capacity. Then ajust as need be. I'm trying to keep the faith and hope we get some channels on the 19th.

D* will start rolling out HD channels soon, START and continue thru October.
Yes I agree, they are not just going to flip on 40+ channels, there will do a few channels at a time (probably group them together by company) this way they can put out PR that channels from (company name here) were added to DirecTV today....

I just wish they would finish the testing already.

As a survivor of the VOOM mini-series, I don't believe CSR's, CEOS, or M-o-u-s-e-s.
I believe what I see on my TV with mine own eyes. If it's tonight...cool. It if's October, there is nothing I can personally do about it as much as I'd like to. These companies do what they want.

Jamey only pawn in game of Sat TV.

Yes I agree, they are not just going to flip on 40+ channels, there will do a few channels at a time (probably group them together by company) this way they can put out PR that channels from (company name here) were added to DirecTV today....

I just wish they would finish the testing already.

D10 is powered up tonight and cranking!

One other thing...how in the world can they promise CNN HD when Time Warner who owns CNN doesn't even have that one on their own cable network?

I think it'll be gradual. And some of the order will be in priority. For example, TBS carrying MLB postseason would warrant bring in TBS HD right away; NFL HD as well.

Patience.

I had viewed some internal documents stating that the new HD channels are going to begin broadcasting on the 19th at 6am est. TBS was one of the launch channels as well as the premium channels (HBO/SHO/Max/Starz) to name a few. I would post a copy of the document but on the bottom of each page says rights reserved and that it is an unpublished document, otherwise I would post it. The Oct launch is probably just to say that all the channels that are going to launch will be by then but there will be channels up before then.

Last edited:
“While testing of DirecTV 10’s capability continues, it appears that a portion of the anticipated spot-beam capability may not be fully available."

What are the plusses of a merger with Dish? I see one big negative - less competition, higher prices. Higher prices would certainly come with the costs of combining the two companies. Please enlighten me on what the benefits would be.

The market has changed as there really is not less competition. When they originally tried the merger there was only dish, direct, and cable. At that time it made sence not to merge so the regulitory's blocked it.

Today you have Dish, Direct, Cable, Fios, Uverse, Internet TV all compeating for the same thing. THe benifits would be huge cost savings on shared bandwith, The ablity to quadruple the amount of channels offered today as all the double some times triple uplinking, is now uplinked once. The cost savings would be passed down to the consumer in the long run.

The market has changed as there really is not less competition. When they originally tried the merger there was only dish, direct, and cable. At that time it made sence not to merge so the regulitory's blocked it.

Today you have Dish, Direct, Cable, Fios, Uverse, Internet TV all compeating for the same thing. THe benifits would be huge cost savings on shared bandwith, The ablity to quadruple the amount of channels offered today as all the double some times triple uplinking, is now uplinked once. The cost savings would be passed down to the consumer in the long run.

Yeah they said the same thing with Phone companies and Oil companies.

Yeah they said the same thing with Phone companies and Oil companies.

Sorry for the OT, but... Are you saying there's no competition driving down phone rates (or increasing the value at the same rates)? Uh, do you think if there was still only AT&T, we'd have an iPhone? Or even any cell service at all? How many different carriers are there now competing for your dollars? Vonage, anyone?

Oil Companies are another animal altogether. They are required to buy a commodity on the world market, namely oil. They do not control this price - whatever someone might think. Its Iran, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia (all of OPEC really) among others as well as skyrocketing demand from China, India, etc.. Increasing demand with a flat supply = increased cost. If we could break up OPEC, that might/should drive down the price of oil... Or if we here in the US would start drilling where we already know it is... ANWR, Gulf of Mexico, off both coasts, etc. But environmentalists are violently opposed to that so we remain at the mercy of the OPEC cartel.

Competition (capitalism) works pretty much everywhere its tried. Look at LASIK eye surgery. Incredible competition. It used to be $10,000 an eye. Now its $500

Sorry for the OT, but... Are you saying there's no competition driving down phone rates (or increasing the value at the same rates)? Uh, do you think if there was still only AT&T, we'd have an iPhone? Or even any cell service at all? How many different carriers are there now competing for your dollars? Vonage, anyone?

Oil Companies are another animal altogether. They are required to buy a commodity on the world market, namely oil. They do not control this price - whatever someone might think. Its Iran, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia (all of OPEC really) among others as well as skyrocketing demand from China, India, etc.. Increasing demand with a flat supply = increased cost. If we could break up OPEC, that might/should drive down the price of oil... Or if we here in the US would start drilling where we already know it is... ANWR, Gulf of Mexico, off both coasts, etc. But environmentalists are violently opposed to that so we remain at the mercy of the OPEC cartel.

Competition (capitalism) works pretty much everywhere its tried. Look at LASIK eye surgery. Incredible competition. It used to be $10,000 an eye. Now its $500

Please explain why all cell companies offer the basic same packages at the same price. Where is the competition other than we charge the same rate? Charging a $1000 doesn't necessarily=competition.

As far as oil companies not controlling the price, then why religiouslly on every Weds or Thru. gas shoots up 20-25%? It aint the weekend yet so I don't buy that crap.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)