Bright blue lights on HD DVR...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

unionturf

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I just got my HD DVR's installed today and so far I like them, very easy to use...but what's up with those bright blue lights on the front?? In my media room it's over to the side, but in my bedroom it sits right below the monitor and it's really distracting. I've searched here an looked in the manual/menu and can't see any adjustment...surely I'm not the first to notice that thing is BRIGHT!!

Is there any way to dim it??

Press the two buttons on either side of the light ring and they will dim. Repeated presses will dim until they are off and after that it will show bright again. The power and record LEDs don't dim and if the box reboots they will be bright again. The HR21's LEDs aren't as bright as those on the HR20.

Thanks alot, did the trick...still a little bright but much better!!!!

I just got my HD DVR's installed today and so far I like them, very easy to use...but what's up with those bright blue lights on the front?? In my media room it's over to the side, but in my bedroom it sits right below the monitor and it's really distracting. I've searched here an looked in the manual/menu and can't see any adjustment...surely I'm not the first to notice that thing is BRIGHT!!

Is there any way to dim it??

Post # 8 in the HD DVR forum
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-dvr-forum/103041-hr20-tips-facts-features.html

As Clemsole mentioned there are various levels and if you go far enough it will turn off .

You will have to reset if you get an update.

btw, :welcome to the site !!!

Sorry, I thought you were new hear, but I see, you've been here awhile, but have very few post :)

Welcome just the same :up

Jimbo

That's an irritating trend in many products now. Devices in the entertainment center shouldn't be brighter than the TV.

I had to open up an external hard drive case and unplug an LED that was so bright it gave me a headache.

It was a CompUSA make but it could have been the same hardware. That thing was even too bright for a night light.

Press the left and right arrow keys together at the same time on the front of the unit 4 times together and the light will be off untill your next update

Yes, I'm an old timer to the forums and most questions I have I find using the search feature so I ask few questions. ;) i wish I could help more but so far I'm still just learning. I looked and looked for blue light or bright light and could not find the answer this time...blue circle was the key I guess. lol

Nice little feature.. Just implemented it myself. I wish they would just tell us all these features up front instead of having us have to "find" them.

light bright

A funny thing is, on the hr 21-700 the lights are real bright. When my hr 21-700 died and was replaced with the hr 21-200, the lights on the 200 were very dim; different manufacturer I guess.
paulyme

Yes, I'm an old timer to the forums and most questions I have I find using the search feature so I ask few questions. ;) i wish I could help more but so far I'm still just learning. I looked and looked for blue light or bright light and could not find the answer this time...blue circle was the key I guess. lol

Not a problem.
You got a question, usually someone here has or can find the answer for you if you were unsuccessful using the search.
You are right to use the search, too many forget it's available ...

Jimbo

Not a problem.
You got a question, usually someone here has or can find the answer for you if you were unsuccessful using the search.
You are right to use the search, too many forget it's available ...

Jimbo

I think more sites need to have a major FAQ section, because while the search is handy, by searching for your problem you find if you're too specific that you don't get a lot of results, while if you're more vague you get pages of results. Maybe for each folder (or the major ones) just compile all the major questions and post the answers or threads pointing to answers, and make it a sticky entitled: "ATTENTION! BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION PLEASE VISIT THIS THREAD FIRST FOR FAQS"

Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

I think more sites need to have a major FAQ section, because while the search is handy, by searching for your problem you find if you're too specific that you don't get a lot of results, while if you're more vague you get pages of results. Maybe for each folder (or the major ones) just compile all the major questions and post the answers or threads pointing to answers, and make it a sticky entitled: "ATTENTION! BEFORE POSTING A QUESTION PLEASE VISIT THIS THREAD FIRST FOR FAQS"

Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Actually, for this particular instance, there is a post doing just that.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-dvr-forum/103041-hr20-tips-facts-features.html

Jimbo

Right.. lets make a sticky thread that has threads like this all in one place. Not that we don't like it when you give us answers, but what if we need something and the Buckeyes are playing Michigan!? You may not be available at a time we really need you! :eek:

You might be surprised ....
I think the post I linked was a Sticky already.

Jimbo

Once I noticed that you have to press the two arrow keys ON THE BOX, it worked. Thanks.
Unfortunately, it's still too bright when on, and the other blue lights aren't affected, so I went back to plan "B," namely, a bent piece of cardstock that covers the lights. (...or, if you're into overkill like me, a piece of aluminum sheet.)

It's 5" x 9", folded in the middle the long way, placed all the way to the right. It covers the circle and resolution lights on the front, but doesn't block any cooling slots on the top (for those of you who have a box with slotted top. Mine doesn't.). It doesn't block the IR window or the power indicator. ...and it never needs changing after a reset!

If you push the left and right circle lights at the same time four times the circle lights go out completely.

One thing you can do for the other LEDs (although I wouldn't try it for the ring) is dab a little superglue right on it with a toothpick or something. Some light will still get through but it will be a lot dimmer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)