Bring back AM stereo CQUAM (1 Viewer)

Bronx

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 14, 2015
Thousand Oaks
Back in the early 90s I bought a Jeep Wrangler that came with a factory AM/FM stereo radio. The only AM stereo station I could receive was KFI, which is a talk station. But I remember how good the music bumps sounded on this radio.

Bronx

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
It is an excellent sound. Takes great engineering to keep it that way, but in doing so, the whole station's "audio plant" is kept in good shape, microphone to transmitters.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
I just picked up a Realistic TM-152 AM Stereo receiver from a local ham operater in town.

Works like a champ.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Those are not bad radios. They will drift, however, so leave it ON at all times for the best tuning. When they get old they get microphonic and taps on them will be heard in your speakers, but...as an AM stereo/AM DX, not a bad receiver. At times, when our Carver has needed service we've used a TM-152 to feed the AM stereo stream. It's not bad.

LibertyNT

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 18, 2016
Texoma
I have a C-Quam exciter and one AM Stereo tuner left in my possession. Technically speaking AM Stereo is superior to FM multiplex stereo in nearly every way, mainly due to the fact FM stereo tech is well over 60 years old with AM Stereo tech only about 30 years old since the last improvements were made. The C-Quam system, unlike FM ST, doesn't reduce a stations effective range. The biggest drawback to C-Quam was platform motion that has since been mostly eliminated.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
I have a C-Quam exciter and one AM Stereo tuner left in my possession. Technically speaking AM Stereo is superior to FM multiplex stereo in nearly every way, mainly due to the fact FM stereo tech is well over 60 years old with AM Stereo tech only about 30 years old since the last improvements were made. The C-Quam system, unlike FM ST, doesn't reduce a stations effective range. The biggest drawback to C-Quam was platform motion that has since been mostly eliminated.

Tell me about this C-QUAM exciter you speak of.

What brand is it?

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Well, since the thread is a bit old, we'll add to it with the fact that today the BACKUP Carver receiver went "live" and ready....in case the main goes down for any reason, preserving WION's famous C-quam live stream on the web and mobile devices. With the age of the receivers, finding a good one not in need of upkeep is getting difficult. We've been told of a company that works major AM transmission projects hoping to roll out wideband AM (stereo) /FM receivers maybe this year, more likely next. Fingers are crossed, and we've asked to be a tester of the unit. Analog AM seems to be doing well of late...there's much less "demise" hype in the trades and on the web from the "experts" who love to write about that topic but are not at work in the trenches of radio making AM viable in markets of various sizes across our county.
C-QUAM STREAM TWO TUNERS.jpg C-QUAM TUNER STACK FOR STREAMING.jpg

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts