Bring Back The 921 Forum!

JAL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
I miss the forum dedicated solely to the 921. It was useful, and the new combined postings aren't as nice. Thanks!

The 921 is basically dead while a few more software releases will be made no new major features are planned, it will soon be replaced by the 942. We will consider opening a 942 forum at that time if there is enough demand. :)

Thanks Scott. The 921 may be dead, but so many of us just purchased one when the price went down, so it's new to us. There's so much more Dish could be doing with the 921, including internet, etc. Are the members here just giving up on it?

Also, I thought I'd share an e-mail I received from Advanced Technical Support about the 921. Here it is:

Thank you for your e-mail. We currently do not have any information
concerning MPEG-4 compression and backwards compatibility of receivers.
Stay tuned for more information as this becomes available.

As to your second question, Name-Based Recording has just been rolled out on
two of our receivers. At the current time, only the DVR522 model and the
newly released DISH Player DVR 942 (just introduced two weeks ago at the
Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada) have this technology. That
is not to say the model 921 may not have this software in a future software
release. Once again, stay tuned for more information as this becomes
available.

From researching the hard drive noise issue with the 921, it seems this is a
normal occurrence. If it is gradually getting louder or is disrupting
programming, I would call in to our technical agents and have them
troubleshoot this issue. The hard drive on the 921 is over four times as
large as that of your 501, so we can expect it to make a little more noise
as it is spinning.

Sincerely,

David

Scott Greczkowski said:
The 921 is basically dead while a few more software releases will be made no new major features are planned, it will soon be replaced by the 942. We will consider opening a 942 forum at that time if there is enough demand. :)
Scott,
The 921 may be dead to Dish and to you but to those of us that spent $1000 for a box that is still not working properly, we don't consider it a "dead" issue.
I think Dish MUST make it right for us somehow and also think a dedicated 921 forum would be appropriate until this is accomplished.
I could do a little more ranting here but will leave it at that. :(

Agreed. Let's keep the pressure on. Anyone who agrees, please post a reply.

Grandude said:
Scott,
The 921 may be dead to Dish and to you but to those of us that spent $1000 for a box that is still not working properly, we don't consider it a "dead" issue.
I think Dish MUST make it right for us somehow and also think a dedicated 921 forum would be appropriate until this is accomplished.
I could do a little more ranting here but will leave it at that. :(

i don't think scott meant it is dead as if ih doesn't care. i think what he meant is that it is dead to dish. the 921 now is pretty much how it's going to be, a piece of crap, and dish does not care. their concern now is the 942.

I think the 921 Forum (or a DISH HD DVR Forum) should stay too. At least until the the 942 comes on the market and and then we could combine those two receiver issues into one forum. Hell, I have problems with my 921 on a daily basis. When I try to watch a DVR event it frezzes up all the time. It's not uncommon for me to have to do a hard reboot and then do a switch test SEVERAL times a day just to get it stable for a while.

Their concern shouldn't even be the 942 now. They should be focusing on the new MPEG4 compliant next generation receivers. Both HD and SD. As a matter of fact, they should not be wasting any time developing any more SD receivers. They should be putting their efforts into developing two generic full featured HD/SD receivers. One a dual tuner with dual OTA capabilities, the other with the same number of tuners in a DVR.

I liked the seperate forums as well guys, but this is what we gots now, oh well... :(

i agree too that there should be a 921/ 942 forum.. we do need to keep the pressure on.. i know it isnt that hard to add one to the board. If it wasnt for my credits i get @ dish i would be on D*'s side of the house along time ago.

JAL said:
Also, I thought I'd share an e-mail I received from Advanced Technical Support about the 921. ...The hard drive on the 921 is over four times as large as that of your 501, so we can expect it to make a little more noise as it is spinning.

These people are clueless if they associate disk capacity with noise...

bbtkd said:
These people are clueless if they associate disk capacity with noise...

not really.. more capacity means more internal disks spinning in the harddrive, which could equate to more noise.

I could see the point of a HDDVR forum... you guys are split between the two places for your questions, but they are two seperate functions as well.

No more forums please, we don't need them. Just go to the PVR forum for your info like I do. Thank you Scott for thinning them out.

I disagree, we need a 921 forum. The reason we don't need a combined forum, for example, is the 501, 508, 510, all rock solid, nothing to talk about there.

I know if I had just bought a 921 I'd be disappointed that its forum was gone.
It makes no sense to me. What's 1 more forum when there are already a ton of them out there?
For your sake I hope you all can convince the man in charge.

dreng.gif
HEY, TELL CHARLIE TO GIVE US BACK OUR 921 FORUM!!!

:D

I think Scott did the right thing to combine the forums. When E* releases a new receiver it makes sense to have a separate forum because there will be a lot of initial problems. However, once the receiver has been out a while, the number of posts decreases and it is no longer worthwhile to have a separate forum. I think that the 921 is at the point where a separate forum is no longer beneficial.

Why have to tread through so many different forums when all of the information is in one place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)