Broadband connection: will it be able to find me?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

terpsmandan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Somewhere near here
I am considering hooking the 722 up to the lan cable that i ran for my son's xbox and I have a question. Would the broadband hookup be able to find me because my box isn't where dish thinks it is? Thanks for the input.

As long as it is a cable that is directly from the router, it will work. Dish (or any other network device) doesn't care what you had ran it for. You would end up with problems if you tried to split it or something like that.

yes, of course. without the assistance of the ISP, it is only as accurate as the general area but that wold be close enough to tell them if you are in a different city.

I guess that I didn't ask the question properly. I was wondering if Dish can trace your IP address if you hook up the lan cable.

Depends on if your ISP is running a proxy server or not. Mine is a big cable co that shows my IP addy as some 300 miles away from where I live. I then have a hardwired firewall(as well as a s/w 1) that on the E* receiver shows the IP assigned by my router.

My ISP is Verizon DSL with a dry loop since i cut my landline phone, so I haven't had a phone line on the box for a while. I would like to take advantage of the broadband but since i moved, I do not want to upset the apple cart, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the input.

I guess that I didn't ask the question properly. I was wondering if Dish can trace your IP address if you hook up the lan cable.
If you have the receivers that are showing different Internet IP addresses, your account will almost certainly be flagged for audit for account stacking.

As long as the Internet IP addresses are the same (all connected to the same modem), you shouldn't have to worry.

the answer is..
your fine.

I've been doing the same thing as you for a while.

Now, if the actual location where the receiver should be, has a receiver connected to the internet, and it has a different external IP than the one the box at your location has, it could raise suspicion, and possibly a reason to be audited. Don't really know though, it all boils down to whether or not dish is interested in looking into this.

If your questioned just say one receiver is wired in, and the other one is on your neighbors wireless, cause you don't have WiFi :p Of course, make sure your receiver would support wireless.

Don't hook it up, best not to even fool with it cause it can be traced to a specific area. Why the need to hook it up anyway..it really serves no savings purpose anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts