Broadband DECA / Receiver DECA Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
When I originally had my Genie installed, the technicians "attempted" to install a broadband DECA (although at the time, I didn't know it was called that) however the apparently didn't first disconnect my other DVR's from my home network (I now know that was the problem) and they caused my home network to stop working.

After a long time troubleshooting, I had them remove the DECA equipment.

I recently moved one of my receivers into a room that will be difficult to an Ethernet cable to. Therefore, I now need to convert my home network Whole-Home-DVR system into DirecTv's preferred way of doing it. When I called them, it was going to be very expensive, (like $175 to have DTV come out and do it.) However, the nice telephone rep told me everything I needed to get to make the DECA system work.

(Sorry for rambling, but, I wanted to give some background)

Now to my question. I have the broadband DECA on the way, and DTV provided the receiver DECA. I have 2 more devices in the bedroom that need Ethernet connections in addition to the DTV. I have an idea this is impossible, but, can I plug the short Ethernet cable from the Receiver DECA into a small 4 port Ethernet Switch and plug 1 port into the DTV receiver, and the other 2 devices into port 2 and 3.

Thanks in advance.

When I originally had my Genie installed, the technicians "attempted" to install a broadband DECA (although at the time, I didn't know it was called that) however the apparently didn't first disconnect my other DVR's from my home network (I now know that was the problem) and they caused my home network to stop working.

After a long time troubleshooting, I had them remove the DECA equipment.

I recently moved one of my receivers into a room that will be difficult to an Ethernet cable to. Therefore, I now need to convert my home network Whole-Home-DVR system into DirecTv's preferred way of doing it. When I called them, it was going to be very expensive, (like $175 to have DTV come out and do it.) However, the nice telephone rep told me everything I needed to get to make the DECA system work.

(Sorry for rambling, but, I wanted to give some background)

Now to my question. I have the broadband DECA on the way, and DTV provided the receiver DECA. I have 2 more devices in the bedroom that need Ethernet connections in addition to the DTV. I have an idea this is impossible, but, can I plug the short Ethernet cable from the Receiver DECA into a small 4 port Ethernet Switch and plug 1 port into the DTV receiver, and the other 2 devices into port 2 and 3.

Thanks in advance.
Well what the model numbers of the you have? All Genies & HR24 have builtin DECAs. All other DirecTV STBs need stand alone DECAs. If you only have a Genie and HR24s, then a simple Ethernet connection from your router to the Genie maybe all you need.

Hello,

The one that I moved is an HR23-700. The purpose of adding the DECA is because I cannot get Ethernet to it to continue the current setup. It had an Ethernet cable hooked up to it before in another room...

You can either use the Genie as the bridge or use a BroadBand DECA for the same purpose. At the HR23 location you can use a receiver DECA going to the switch with ethernet able going to the HR23 and other devices.

Hello,

The one that I moved is an HR23-700. The purpose of adding the DECA is because I cannot get Ethernet to it to continue the current setup. It had an Ethernet cable hooked up to it before in another room...

A mixture of Ethernet & DECA wont work. You need to choose. How many non-Genie and non HR24s do you have? As they will all need DECAs.

A mixture of Ethernet & DECA wont work. You need to choose. How many non-Genie and non HR24s do you have? As they will all need DECAs.
Well, that is not quite correct. ethernet and DECA is just a transport method which leads to the same destination. As long as the system DIRECTV system (DECA) is connected to the network as the ethernet network and that network is installed correctly, there should be no issues. For some receivers are BSF is needed in order to block DECA in a hybrid system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)