Broadband problem VIP 722

Ray C@DISH Network said:
Are you able to download IPVOD movies to stream to your receiver? If you press the DVR button on your remote, this will display Dish ON Demand. If you subscribe to Blockbuster @ Home, that will be your first choice. You also have All Movies as a choice (if you don't subscribe to BB@Home). Select All Movies and then one of the 4 choices. Any of the choices will list the available movies or shows you can view. Pressing the * key will display the free content. Make a selection and select Watch. It should initiate a download of that choice. Please let me know if you are able to view the IPVOD choice. Thanks.

No I am not even after going into broadband setup and it changes from testing to connected.
If I go to a downloaded title i only get a choice of delete or info.

Since you are not able to download a IPVOD movie, which is streaming to your receiver, it appears to be a setting with your router or ISP. Do you know if UPnP is enabled? You did mention you tried port forwarding and DMZ but that did not work. Please let me know about UPnP. Thanks.

Ray C@DISH Network said:
Since you are not able to download a IPVOD movie, which is streaming to your receiver, it appears to be a setting with your router or ISP. Do you know if UPnP is enabled? You did mention you tried port forwarding and DMZ but that did not work. Please let me know about UPnP. Thanks.

Ray, yes it is. I have been on support so many times with AT&T and Dish broadband support it's doing my head in.

Same problem here, which makes my sling adapter completely useless.
As soon as I go to the broadband setup without doing nothing I can see testing and immediatly changing to connected.
I have tried DMZ as well did not help either, connection will drop hours or a day later.
I have even been sent a replacement 722 (for a different reason related to HD failure) but replacement 722 does the same.

Dish please put some effort in fixing this; it has been going on for so long now, its a same :-(

Well, Well, Well. I finally got tire of my VIP722 dropping it's connection with Dish Network On Line and decided to see if there was a solution. Notice I didn't Tech Support. Been there done that. NO! I don't have the answer. Here is what I know. My VIP612 has no issue. My VIP722 does. I have found several ways to get connected, I reset the Ethernet RG45 connector in the back of the VIP722. Or Go to the Select System Setup (6), Installation (1) then Broadband Setup (9) Select Network Setup (1), then Reset Connection and test the connection. it goes from not connected to connected. Or Ping the DHCP IP. The VIP722 wakes up and I'm good to go, until I'm sitting at work and want to change a timer. then I get the reconnect issue. I have swapped the VIP612 with the VIP722 and the 612 continues to work and the 722 continues to have the same issue. I didn't have this problem when I first got this unit a couple of years back. Only since the switch to Dish Online and discontinuing from the dish sling login (dish.sling.com). All I know is the 612 works on the same LAN path as the 722 and the 722 drops the connection ALL-THE-TIME. As I write this I connected to my 612 and not the 722 sitting here a work miles away.

DISH YOU GOT A PROBLEM!!!

Correction. As far as the Ping goes. I can ping the LAN IP for the VIP722 and get NO Time outs. This DOES not correct the Disconnect issue as I stated. I ran another experiment today. But as Soon as I pulled the RG45 connector out and in again. bingo, the reconnect on the Dish Network was successful. Remember I have swapped the 612 cables and ports with the 722 and it is always the 722 with the reconnect issue. I even tried sitting the DMZ to allow all. No Help. But the Ping always communicated with the both DVRs.

My setup is DSL Modem/Router (UVerse 2Wire) -> 16 port switch(NetGear516 1000/100/10) -> DVRs

Last edited:
Dude they don't give a crap about the problem. They being Dish are greedy mother chuckers. As long as you are on Cc autopay, they get your money.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I know this is a deep subject that pisses all of us off. But, after reading the posts we can agree that Dish has a problem with the timers on the IP port. And that their software is the pits. Since they cannot/will not fixed the issue and we cannot access the software stack I propose the following solution at the hardware level: Since it has been stated that disconnecting and reconnecting the RJ45 resets the DVR IP connection, I suggest connecting the DVR to either a dedicated hub or IP switch on a timer. Set the timer to turn off every so often. Since we do not know the DVR IP timer setting, I suggest trying a 6 hour on interval following with an off/on timer cycle.

Good luck to all. Dish should be paying us for reporting the problems with their junk.

re, Mike Angles in san jose.

Crashman said:
dishman2911, So you plugged in an USB Network adapter into the back of the VIP722? AND you didn't need to get Dishnetwork to turn on the USB port?

Regards,

Usb ports are always on. Just plug and play!

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty 3 2.0) using SatelliteGuys

You would think that Dish would've solved this problem by now, but of course they didn't.

It's very anoying having to reset my broadband connection on my 722k. each time I watch a BB@home mvie.

I just got a sling adapter that's useless. Both my 722 and 722k will not stay connected. Everything else on my network (3 computers, a Wii, a Blu-Ray player & a network printer on wired connections, & 2 tablets and a laptop thru wi-fi) functions perfectly, but the 2 Dish receivers won't stay connected for more than an hour after resetting their connection. I'm always told "settings in the modem/router" ...BS!.... if it was my modem/router's problem my other stuff wouldn't work either. :rant:

eurosport said:
I just got a sling adapter that's useless. Both my 722 and 722k will not stay connected. Everything else on my network (3 computers, a Wii, a Blu-Ray player & a network printer on wired connections, & 2 tablets and a laptop thru wi-fi) functions perfectly, but the 2 Dish receivers won't stay connected for more than an hour after resetting their connection. I'm always told "settings in the modem/router" ...BS!.... if it was my modem/router's problem my other stuff wouldn't work either. :rant:

Exactly, I wish Dish would fix this crap:(

Exactly, I wish Dish would fix this crap:(

This problem has existed for months and the losing your download problems.
dish is done with the 722 so I would not expect a fix
although you would think reading the front page pr and knowing they have amazing minds a fix for a problem they created would come easy for them:)

Last edited:
i stated the same thing in another forum when they introduced the hopper/joey system. the rest of the receivers are now forgotten about. everything is about their new system now. this issue will never be resolved. their fix is for you to pay the ridiculous upgrade fees, lock into another two years, and plus the additional monthly fees for the hopper

I fixed my problem of losing Internet connection this way:
I hooked up a small 4 port switch to my DSL line. I plugged in my 2 722k receivers into this switch along with my 'internal' router. The 2 722k's now go directly to the internet and all my other computers go through the internet via the internal router. My DSL is giving out 3 internet IPs and my internal router is handling my internal networks to allow my computers to be on the same network.
Works like a charm and my BB downloads are extremely fast and I haven't had to reconnect to the internet via the 722 receivers in weeks.

This is great information, but can you please report what models your switch and router are? I'm guessing your "4 port switch" is actually a router. What's an internal router? Is that where your receivers were plugged in before?

My DSL line is plugged into a 5-port 10/100 Linksys switch. Then I have 2 cables going from that port to my internet gateways (1 - a Trendnet 200 Mbps powerline adapter and 2 - a linux PC server which is acting as a router/gateway).

The DSL gives a 192.168.2.3 and 192.168.2.4 ip address to my 722k receivers. Basically they are directly connected to the Internet via the DSL line. My Linux PC router gets a 192.168.2.2 and then I have all my internal laptops, PCs, and wireless connections going through this machine connected via another switch to another NIC in the linux PC.

You could do this an easier way by using the small switch on your internet connection and then putting one of the plugs into a wireless router in the internet port and everything else you have into the wireless routers internal port to separate your network as well.

I have also verified that the 722ks also work directly connected with cables instead of the powerline adapter.

Also, I had everything plugged through the linux box before and wasn't able to keep the connection. The culprit was/is the fact that my linux box was blocking out the Upnp ports and access after a while. Therefore the 722k receivers were losing connection unless they were actively pulling things from the internet.

Now the 722k receivers have a direct shot to the internet and they are extremely happy in regards to downloading programs.

This is great information, but can you please report what models your switch and router are? I'm guessing your "4 port switch" is actually a router. What's an internal router? Is that where your receivers were plugged in before?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts