Broadband services speed up (1 Viewer)

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
Bright House offers faster Internet without raising prices

Even the fastest Internet connections never seem quite fast enough for demanding users like Tom Ott.

But a bump up in speed announced Tuesday by Bright House Networks earned a mouse click of approval from the University of Central Florida graduate student, who likes to watch movie trailers and download music online.

"The trailers will load a lot quicker," said Ott, 23, who lives near campus and shares a Bright House broadband connection with several roommates. "I also expect to see a big difference in music downloads. Sometimes that gets kind of jammed up."

Performance could spike as much as 40 percent for the standard broadband package used by Ott and a majority of local Bright House customers. The company said it is speeding up all three of its broadband services without raising their monthly price.

It's the second speed upgrade in the past year by Bright House, which is the area's leading high-speed Internet service, with 60 percent of the market, said Bill Gilliam, vice president for broadband Internet services. Bright House is also the largest cable-TV provider, with more than 800,000 customers in nine Central Florida counties.

For its standard service, which costs $44.95 a month, the maximum "downstream" speed into customers' computers will increase from 5 megabits per second (Mbps) to 7 Mbps, while the "upstream" speed from individual computers to the Internet will rise from 384 kilobytes per second (Kbps) to 512 Kbps when the change takes place March 1, Bright House said.

The company's chief rival in Central Florida, BellSouth Corp., offers DSL broadband service at four levels that range in price from $24.95 to $46.95 a month for speeds that range from 256 Kbps to 6 Mbps.

With Bright House's faster speeds, the time needed to download an hour-length TV program could shrink from six minutes to less than four minutes, give or take a few ticks depending on network conditions, Gilliam said.

A 30-second music download could speed up by about 10 to 12 seconds, he said.

Bright House is also increasing the speed of its two other Internet services, which currently are used by just a small percentage of its customers.

The speed of Road Runner Premium will increase from 8 Mbps to 10 Mbps downstream and cost $59.95. Its Road Runner Lite service will increase from 256 Kbps to 512 Kbps downstream for $29.95.

Bright House is cutting the price of the premium service from $84.95 a month, even as it boosts the speed, because it hopes to persuade more customers to buy the top-tier package.

For an additional $15 a month, families with multiple computers sharing an Internet connection would see a substantial difference in performance if they switch from standard Road Runner to the premium service, Gilliam said.

"The higher the speed, the better the response," he said. "If you have two or three teens who are always online, playing games or downloading stuff, that would be a big reason to go for the fastest speed."

The speed improvements require an investment of more than $10 million this year for new hardware and other electronics upgrades in the company's fiber-optic network, he said.

However, customers won't need new hardware or software to take advantage of the faster connection speeds.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-broadband1506feb15,0,4519695.story?track=rss

mirage426

SatelliteGuys Family
Sep 22, 2005
How about reliability and consistancy? Those are the things I'm interested in. The more people you have in your house connected, the slower the speed gets. Don't believe me? Do some benchmark tests. Forget about what happens on your street. If more people connect in your area... that is why the ad is "up to a certain amount" you might only get a certain percentage amount of the noted speed. Cable, for years and years now, just like the flagship TV service they offer, has not yet figured how to properly adjust for bandwidth use. The more splitting done, the worse the signal gets. Their answer is to just amplify. Yeah, that's it.*saracastic* Spend millions of dollars on that.
and convienently enough, they are magically doing things now to keep up with todays demands ....and verizon.

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
HDTVFanAtic said:
Interesting as Tampa went to the higher speeds several months ago.

Tampa sure as heck didn't go to these higher speeds several months ago. To be more specific the new speed increases will be offered in nearly all the Tampa Bay area on March 1st. Also I've always received the full advertised speeds nearly all the time which happens to be 5Mbps for quite some time.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
LonghornXP said:
Tampa sure as heck didn't go to these higher speeds several months ago. To be more specific the new speed increases will be offered in nearly all the Tampa Bay area on March 1st. Also I've always received the full advertised speeds nearly all the time which happens to be 5Mbps for quite some time.

Whoops....I am on business class.

Different animal.

Last edited:

stevenl

SatelliteGuys Master
Jan 2, 2006
Disney World
The upgrade has already taken affect in many areas, ive already noticed the change in my upstream usally 45KB max now im hitting 65KB easy, and downstream from toast.net tests report me at 7.5 - 8mb wo0 and ive always reached top speeds from my Roadrunner connection. The cable node (in CFL) is designed to pass 500 passings. and it is designed so that if all 500 people were broadband customers their would be enough bw. some square mile areas may have up to 3-4 nodes, so i dont see where you get off saying their isnt enough bandwidth. Since brighthouses addition of DOCSIS2 ive also heard rumours of a 10MBIT premium plan very soon... keep your eyes out.

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
stevenl said:
The upgrade has already taken affect in many areas, ive already noticed the change in my upstream usally 45KB max now im hitting 65KB easy, and downstream from toast.net tests report me at 7.5 - 8mb wo0 and ive always reached top speeds from my Roadrunner connection. The cable node (in CFL) is designed to pass 500 passings. and it is designed so that if all 500 people were broadband customers their would be enough bw. some square mile areas may have up to 3-4 nodes, so i dont see where you get off saying their isnt enough bandwidth. Since brighthouses addition of DOCSIS2 ive also heard rumours of a 10MBIT premium plan very soon... keep your eyes out.

I'm already at 10 and finding out that there are all kinds of other issues - and i don't mean Brighthouse issues - in pushing the limit that high

Khandurian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 6, 2004
Cocoa Beach Baby!
Well, here in brevard county, were only hitting a max upload of 58k sustained.... which just barley an improvement over the 45k we were already getting... very depressing....

Khandurian....

Khandurian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 6, 2004
Cocoa Beach Baby!
stevenl said:

In Brevard county they already offer the 10mb connection, however the price for it is just way outa touch.... We actually started the 10mb testing 2 years ago... it went into affect a year ago... but of course, because of the price, noone's going for it....

Khandurian.....

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
I just wanted you all to know that I just did a speed test on my Bright House Road Runner connection and I just got the upgraded speeds. I'm in Pinellas County or in Largo to be more specific. I'm getting their basic 44.95/month plan and I'm not getting speeds of 6.9Mbps down and 962Kbps UP which is quite good if you ask me. I was getting about 365Kbps UP. speedtest.JPG

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 23, 2005
LonghornXP said:
I just wanted you all to know that I just did a speed test on my Bright House Road Runner connection and I just got the upgraded speeds. I'm in Pinellas County or in Largo to be more specific. I'm getting their basic 44.95/month plan and I'm not getting speeds of 6.9Mbps down and 962Kbps UP which is quite good if you ask me. I was getting about 365Kbps UP. View attachment 7460

Congrats

I am paying about 3x what you are for a 1Mbps up and not getting what you are on the upside. :eek:

What site are you using to test?

Edit:

Never mind, I can make it out in the web browser.

JohnDaddyo

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa Bay Florida
vlj9r said:
I'm in Clearwater and opted to pay the $10 to double my download and triple my uppload speeds. Here are my test results thru the atlanta site.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Down 9557 kbps
UP 950 kbps

I too was paying the extra 10 for the speed boost, but when they "upped" the norm to 7 I though it made no sense to pay the same for just a 3mb boost???
Crazy they are because I would've still paid the extra if it was still a 5mb boost.
They didn't bother to adjust the difference??!!

Trevorm7

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 7, 2006
Clearwater, FL
JohnDaddyo said:
I too was paying the extra 10 for the speed boost, but when they "upped" the norm to 7 I though it made no sense to pay the same for just a 3mb boost???
Crazy they are because I would've still paid the extra if it was still a 5mb boost.
They didn't bother to adjust the difference??!!

You still get double the upload, and thats way worth it!

I think the roadrunner premium should be 15/2 instead of 10/1 for 60$, 10/1 just isn't enough for me. 15/2 will satisfy me for a while until fios is available with 30/5 for like 50$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts