Broadband set up on HWS

smjbh5

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2007
SF Bay Area
Whata the difference between ethernet top and MoCA? Why do I care? I want to be able to use the dish anywhere app to watch stuff my dvr. All i can do is watch live. The app says that my receiver is offline. But on hopper shows "internet connection: ok" whats going on?

How many receivers do you have? Chances are your Hopper is connected to the Internet via Ethernet. Hopper has the capability of sharing it's Internet connection with other Hoppers and Joeys, which is what the MoCA is for.

How many receivers do you have? Chances are your Hopper is connected to the Internet via Ethernet. Hopper has the capability of sharing it's Internet connection with other Hoppers and Joeys, which is what the MoCA is for.

Ah, got it. I have 1 hopper and 2 joeys. So i should set up MoCA? Do the joeys need an internet connection for anything?

On the Hopper, select MoCA on the broadband menu, press the BLUE button twice, click on BRIDGING and turn it on for the Joeys if it's not already.

So in broadband you get three green "OKs" on the Ethernet?

On the Hopper, select MoCA on the broadband menu, press the BLUE button twice, click on BRIDGING and turn it on for the Joeys if it's not already.

So in broadband you get three green "OKs" on the Ethernet?

I see 3 green "oks".
Do the joeys need a broadband connection?

In fact, multiple Ethernet connections will cause problems. Just one connection, and MOCA shares it with all.

Last edited:
The "bridge" enables broadband Hopper to Hopper. So yes, with only one Hopper you don't need bridging.

With coax to the Joeys, MOCA will handle programming. This is, I believe, necessary for the initial setup. After that, many have reported (unsupported) success using Ethernet- wired and wireless -and disconnecting the coax.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can correct me if I'm wrong.

If the joeys dont need broadband, why do i need to bridge?

I think he meant that you don't have to hook up ethernet to each joey that bridging will give all the joeys network connection. The joeys don't need network access for basic tv functions, but for the apps or the DLNA to work you will need it bridged.

In fact, multiple Ethernet connections will cause problems. Just one connection, and MOCA shares it with all.

Only if bridging is enabled on multiple Hoppers. In the early implementation of the software there were issues, but now for the most part the bridging software behaves as long as you use the proper settings.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

So it looks like i dont need to worry about moca. I have my 2 joeys conneted to the hopper via coax and my hopper has a broadband connection. All im interested in doing is watching tv. No need for the apps

Yeah, true, but its trivial to set up Internet connectivity through MoCA for the Joeys. If you ever get the urge to do so, the instructions in my previous post should do the trick :) .

Yeah, true, but its trivial to set up Internet connectivity through MoCA for the Joeys. If you ever get the urge to do so, the instructions in my previous post should do the trick :) .

Agreed, I would go ahead and turn on bridging. It doesn't negatively effect anything, and if you never use it then its really no waisted effort. But if you ever do use the apps and what not, then you will wish you had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)