broadcast affiliate channels ("local" channels)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

saminbama

Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
southeast alabama
I'm sure this question has been answered before but I don't see it:

I live in a rural area. We CAN'T receive broadcast channels even with a large antenna. People in our situation would be the ones that should get NBC, CBS and ABC via satellite, not people who can receive it with an antenna.

Why can't we pay and get those channels with our satellite service?

The process is backward to me. All the markets that are eligible to receive local channels via their satellite service can already receive them with a regular antenna and digital television or receiver.

Would someone please explain to me why this is backward?

Thanks,

Sam in Bama

sam-

You don't say where you are, but your location IS (my understanding) affiliated with a specific market (whether you can pick up the locals or not). Once you know what that local market is, you should be able to contact Dish and sign up for LiL for that market.

IMO, the Dothan issue posted above is that the market doesn't HAVE an NBC channel. Therefore (at least after December 1), people using Dish and living in the Dothan market won't be able to get NBC via LiL.

As far as "distant locals", those came more into play when Dish/Direct didn't have the LiL service. Someone in your case (who couldn't receive the locals OTA) could appeal to their local broadcasters for a waiver to get the "distant" locals. How the local broadcasters handled that differed. Some simply said "no" to all requests, some said "yes", some looked at the specific circumstances. Some of those applying for distant networks (claiming they couldn't receive the OTA signal) were within 10-15 miles of the OTA transmitters.

. Now here is the kicker Panama City gets its CBS from Dothan and guess what our Dothan station is mirrored for PC so they get all of their networks.

Hub

Sorry but PC does NOT get CBS out of Dothan even though the trasmitter is in north FL.....about 10 miles from my house. The only way my customers get CBS is if they have an mpeg4 rec which has the off-air input. You can get NBC this way as well. Ch 7 out of PC has a pretty strong signal but since they are transmitting on vhf you'll need a traditional style antenna.....one that has the extended elements....to keep the signal steady.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts