Broadcast Extra (ABC, Univision, UniMas) now available in select DMAs for $5/mo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jegrant

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Hmm, saw this on SlingTV's website today:
upload_2016-2-17_19-17-8.png
upload_2016-2-17_19-17-21.png

Seems to be limited to ABC O&O markets, but nice that they're offering it. And I'm glad it's not part of the basic package.

ABC.... very interesting though we did hear they might add locals at some point. Wonder if FOX is next. (Recent agreement)

I would have to assume Sling is probably required to only offer one's "local" affiliate of each network, as every other provider is. Let's face it, since the networks demand reverse compensation these days (the affiliates pay for the privilege of having the network), what affiliate would be silly enough to pay if they knew they weren't getting protection within their market?

However, the great thing about Roku, is that with other channels like NewsOn and Nowhere TV, you can view local news from across the country, which is (in most cases) the only programming that stations carry that isn't available nationally otherwise (networks, syndication).

I think a lot of people would like FOX mainly for sports purposes, and even better if the Fox Sports networks were available in the Sports Extra package.

I would have to assume Sling is probably required to only offer one's "local" affiliate of each network, as every other provider is. Let's face it, since the networks demand reverse compensation these days (the affiliates pay for the privilege of having the network), what affiliate would be silly enough to pay if they knew they weren't getting protection within their market?

However, the great thing about Roku, is that with other channels like NewsOn and Nowhere TV, you can view local news from across the country, which is (in most cases) the only programming that stations carry that isn't available nationally otherwise (networks, syndication).

Sometimes on ROKU there is an indication the news is live only to find out this is from some other time in the day.

My local ABC & NBC affiliates operate out of the same building. In fact, the CW, which is a subchannel of our NBC affiliate, uses the ABC affiliate's local news one hour earlier than when the news comes on at 11pm on its own. The reason I'm bringing all of this up, is that if Sling TV brings local broadcasting in our area, maybe we'd get NBC & the CW in addition to ABC.

Not everyone can get OTA via an antenna but I get 66 channels OTA so no way I'd pay an extra $5.00 to Sling for ABC. The networks on Sling might be worth it for those who can't get them any other way though

Reactions: Mr Tony
I live in Frederick MD and neither the Washington nor Baltimore locals are available without a very large antenna. I would gladly pay each month to have them available on Sling. Maybe they would even include Baltimore, which is a frequently shared DMA for my zip code and DTV refuses to provide.

Yes and I'm using an amplifier with a CM4228 old style 8 bay antenna. I guess I'm only about 30 miles from either of the two markets. If I was 20 miles farther northeast I could probably get a 3rd market too lol

Maybe Dish should do something like Aero but make new contract negotiations to include Sling TV to pay them the same amount as they would get paid if it were a Dish sub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts