Broadcast Ratings down 9% for 2022-2023 as Cord Cutting Speeds Up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
According to Nielsen, overall TV usage in primetime was down by about 9 percent compared to the 2021-22 season.

Since the majority of Streaming Services ( Paramount, Hulu, Peacock, etc) all gained subscribers during the same time period and out of 130 Million Households, 60 Million do not get a Paid Live TV, these numbers are not surprising.

With the recent reports that cable channels are also way down in the ratings, hopefully Broadcasters/Providers will get the idea that it is time to start getting rid of channels since the majority of them have nothing but reruns.

For example, in today’s world, do we really need 3 F/X Channels, 3 Disneys, etc, etc.

According to Nielsen, overall TV usage in primetime was down by about 9 percent compared to the 2021-22 season.

Since the majority of Streaming Services ( Paramount, Hulu, Peacock, etc) all gained subscribers during the same time period and out of 130 Million Households, 60 Million do not get a Paid Live TV, these numbers are not surprising.

With the recent reports that cable channels are also way down in the ratings, hopefully Broadcasters/Providers will get the idea that it is time to start getting rid of channels since the majority of them have nothing but reruns.

For example, in today’s world, do we really need 3 F/X Channels, 3 Disneys, etc, etc.

I think that makes up what is on cable channels. Network tv reruns and the rest is reality tv and documentaries and infomercials. I watch my local channels on ota and Metv ota. The rest of the cable channels I can do without. I think most people have realized this and are in the process of cutting the cord these days. The days of 500 channels in the cable pack doesn't mean much if they are all showing the same old reruns.

Reactions: ncted and dishdude
I think that makes up what is on cable channels. Network tv reruns and the rest is reality tv and documentaries and infomercials. I watch my local channels on ota and Metv ota. The rest of the cable channels I can do without. I think most people have realized this and are in the process of cutting the cord these days. The days of 500 channels in the cable pack doesn't mean much if they are all showing the same old reruns.

Not only are the monthly rates and fees exorbitant for traditional pay TV, there's very little content worth watching! I watch the local news on OTA and that's about it. YouTube gets the majority of my viewing, I can even watch the local news on it so I'm not sure why I even bothered putting an antenna up.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Not only are the monthly rates and fees exorbitant for traditional pay TV, there's very little content worth watching! I watch the local news on OTA and that's about it. YouTube gets the majority of my viewing, I can even watch the local news on it so I'm not sure why I even bothered putting an antenna up.
I watch the local news from Detroit on the Roku.

I have already decided to get rid of YTTV at the end of football season, with 12 MNF on ESPN+, Big Ten Football now on Peacock and Paramount+ ( no longer on ABC/ESPN), and then all the shows from Broadcast/Cable Channels plus the exclusive stuff, I do not know why I am waiting, hard to change at my age.

Also, with the wrters strike, not much will be on this fall on the broadcast/cable channels, for example, here is ABC’s Fall schedule-

MONDAY

8-10 PM — Dancing With the Stars
10-11 PM — The Golden Bachelor

TUESDAY

8-9 PM — Celebrity Jeopardy!
9-11 PM — Bachelor in Paradise

WEDNESDAY

8-9 PM — Judge Steve Harvey
9-9:30 PM — Abbott Elementary (Encore)
9:30-10 PM — Abbott Elementary (Encore)
10-11 PM — What Would You Do?

THURSDAY

8-9 PM — Celebrity Wheel of Fortune
9-10 PM — Press Your Luck
10-11 PM — The $100,000 Pyramid

FRIDAY

8-9 PM — Shark Tank
9:01-10 PM — 20/20

SATURDAY

7:30-11 PM — College Football

SUNDAY

7-8 PM — America’s Funniest Home Videos
8-11 PM — The Wonderful World of Disney

Years ago I put up an antenna on my chimney for a couple of Tivos I used to supplement my 2-tuner 722K. They were useful when I went to cable and then cut the cord. Now, I rarely use them due to most ota programming being awful and boring. The only ota programming I record and watch is Ghosts, Nova and Secrets of the Dead. Why bother buying and putting up an antenna when I can use playon to record the stream from their websites?

Reactions: TheKrell
I watch the local news from Detroit on the Roku.

I have already decided to get rid of YTTV at the end of football season, with 12 MNF on ESPN+, Big Ten Football now on Peacock and Paramount+ ( no longer on ABC/ESPN), and then all the shows from Broadcast/Cable Channels plus the exclusive stuff, I do not know why I am waiting, hard to change at my age.

Also, with the wrters strike, not much will be on this fall on the broadcast/cable channels, for example, here is ABC’s Fall schedule-

MONDAY

8-10 PM — Dancing With the Stars
10-11 PM — The Golden Bachelor

TUESDAY

8-9 PM — Celebrity Jeopardy!
9-11 PM — Bachelor in Paradise

WEDNESDAY

8-9 PM — Judge Steve Harvey
9-9:30 PM — Abbott Elementary (Encore)
9:30-10 PM — Abbott Elementary (Encore)
10-11 PM — What Would You Do?

THURSDAY

8-9 PM — Celebrity Wheel of Fortune
9-10 PM — Press Your Luck
10-11 PM — The $100,000 Pyramid

FRIDAY

8-9 PM — Shark Tank
9:01-10 PM — 20/20

SATURDAY

7:30-11 PM — College Football

SUNDAY

7-8 PM — America’s Funniest Home Videos
8-11 PM — The Wonderful World of Disney
Nothing in that list is worth watching for me. I mostly watch OTA for the classic TV networks. If I'm really bored, I fill in with YouTube or PlutoTV. There are so many free options out there now with so much content that pay TV or Primetime on OTA network TV isn't even worth it. As far as I'm concerned, the strike can carry on forever. All Hollywood does these days is come up with shows based around stupid ideas or they just copy something from the past and bring it back to modern day. How many shows in that list are originals? Most of it is programming in it's 10+ or 20+ season or a gameshow they dug out of the past and put a fresh-faced celebrity on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mochuf