Broadcasting via Satellite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hotwire132002

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2004
Well, I've always had a dream to start a TV station (loooooooong story), and I think a satellite station is the way to go. Problem is, I can't find any information on how to get equipment/license/or whatever is nessissary to send a satellite feed. Can any of you satellite geniuses send me in the right direction?

You might want to contact this guy:
http://www.chuckharder.com

I'm not too familiar with his show (haven't gotten around to watching it yet) but it looks as if his setup is sort of what you're looking for.

Edit: You'll make it FTA for us then? ;)

TuxCoder said:
You might want to contact this guy:
http://www.chuckharder.com

I'm not too familiar with his show (haven't gotten around to watching it yet) but it looks as if his setup is sort of what you're looking for.

Edit: You'll make it FTA for us then? ;)

Thanks for the help--I emailed him.

Of course the station will be FTA!

It would be interesting if FTA would contain more content, especially those willing to put up their own station. There would have to be some type of money flowing to that station, perhaps through some ads, to keep the station up, or at least some donations. Video streaming over the internet would probably be a lot more affordable and available to many more people than satellite but it wouldnt be the same. One would have to have high speed internet to view the video stream though. Maybe one could start out that way and then go live to satellite as well if one could get enough donations to keep it going.

Stargazer said:
It would be interesting if FTA would contain more content, especially those willing to put up their own station. There would have to be some type of money flowing to that station, perhaps through some ads, to keep the station up, or at least some donations. Video streaming over the internet would probably be a lot more affordable and available to many more people than satellite but it wouldnt be the same. One would have to have high speed internet to view the video stream though. Maybe one could start out that way and then go live to satellite as well if one could get enough donations to keep it going.

Well, unfortunately, unless I can get $300000-$500000 per year in donations/ads, no station coming here. (I got a quote on the cost for bandwidth). However, if anyone wants to make it happen, you know how! ;)

yeah I was just gonna say broadcast online, I can do it right now for free if i felt like it, just hop over to microsoft.com download the windows media encoder and broadcast :)

BFG said:
yeah I was just gonna say broadcast online, I can do it right now for free if i felt like it, just hop over to microsoft.com download the windows media encoder and broadcast :)

Being a Mac user, I can't stand Windows Media--but I'm looking at QuickTime Broadcaster (already have it, used on a closed network to do live feeds for the local access station I volunteer at). I'm looking at using that and a streaming company to broadcast via the net--for around $40 a month (much more affordable). If I get enough viewers (and sponsors), I can bump the bandwidth.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated!

One other thing--quoting a thread I posted at Macrumors.com, here's my idea for the station if anyone feels like helping:

I'd like to start an internet TV station, mostly because I already tried cable, satellite, and antenna. None were feasible.

My plan: Start an internet news station with on-demand and live (streaming) video. Anybody can send in their news footage/story, and (provided it's appropriate), I'll put it on the online news station. Anyone willing to help with the idea? I'm open to suggestions as to where to go with it--It's still in the "idea" phase.

I'm thinking a 24-hour stream would be a neat idea, so I'd air more than just news. Like I said, I'm still planning. Exactly what the station is can change, I just want a TV station!

hotwire,

I'd love to see more internet and FTA channels, and the idea of getting users to contribute sounds good, but if you ever go live, you'll need someone with a journalistic or legal background (maybe that's you?) to screen those contributions before you air them. If someone sends in a fake video showing a celebrity drowning kittens or something, because you pre-screen the contributions you would be as liable as the contributor for any damages that resulted.

For filler, you could run "video press releases" issued by companies and governments.

Sounds like a lot of work, but with enough people, a channel like that could work. Just don't get burned.

carload said:
hotwire,

I'd love to see more internet and FTA channels, and the idea of getting users to contribute sounds good, but if you ever go live, you'll need someone with a journalistic or legal background (maybe that's you?) to screen those contributions before you air them. If someone sends in a fake video showing a celebrity drowning kittens or something, because you pre-screen the contributions you would be as liable as the contributor for any damages that resulted.

For filler, you could run "video press releases" issued by companies and governments.

Sounds like a lot of work, but with enough people, a channel like that could work. Just don't get burned.

My dad happens to be a lawyer, so I have a legal consultant on hand.

Anyone willing to provide programming (or any other help) so I can get this going?

Perhaps some satellite and computer technology programming wouldnt be a bad start if that is one of your interests. Would it have a particular theme? Would you have more than one station? One needs to start out small and build theirselves up. I thought I saw free stations being broadcasted online a while back. Is there a list of these free stations somewhere and a link to access them?

Stargazer said:
Perhaps some satellite and computer technology programming wouldnt be a bad start if that is one of your interests. Would it have a particular theme? Would you have more than one station? One needs to start out small and build theirselves up. I thought I saw free stations being broadcasted online a while back. Is there a list of these free stations somewhere and a link to access them?

Here are some listings
North America
South America
Europe
Middle East
Africa
Asia
Pacific

I unfortunately am going to have to put the project on hold, mostly because I am going to be working more, leaving me with less free time to work on this. (Money is also a "small" issue.)

Anyway, I'll keep you posted when I find the time to make this work!

OK, Latest plan: I'm checking the cost for a 1-hour uplink. I'm working to bring you a broadcast once a week for an hour. We'll see what it will cost me. If all goes well, WFTA-TV will go on-air! I'll post here when I find out if I can afford an uplink :rolleyes: .

Starting small and working your way up. Dont forget to mention satelliteguys.us on the FTA feed.

Hotwire, if you're serious about broadcasting I suggest you start here:
http://www.arrl.org/

Getting your operator licence opens up a huge window allowing you to broadcast on many different bands. Although you won't be able to run an uplink station with that, it's a great start.
Heck, with the right antenna and a portable transceiver you can talk to the ISS as well as use many of the amateur radio satellites up there.

We already have an operator license here at PSB satellite : ) Good advice Cascade!

PSB said:
We already have an operator license here at PSB satellite : ) Good advice Cascade!

I've been looking at getting a ham radio license. I have one question for you--what's it cost for a basic setup? Thanks for the help!

For the equipment it can range from $100 for an older HF transceiver or a mobile/handheld way up into the tens of thousands if you want all the bells and whistles.
Of course there's the antenna, the lower in frequency you go the longer the antenna gets but making your own is fairly easy if you have some wire and a lot of trees.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)