bsc-621 vs DMX741

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
Alright, guys. I need some input on these LNBFs. I want to make my 8 foot dish a 4DTV/FTA system with C and Ku band capabilities. I am stuck on choosing between the BSC-621 or the DMX741.
I want to choose the best and since some of you members have tried them both, I need info on the performance.
Thanks!

I'd suggest you look to the GeoSatPro Ck-1, or DMX-741 dual-band LNBFs.
Here's a discussion by Linuxman in our Hardware Review department:
Test, Comparison, and Review WS International DMX741 C/Ku LNBF

The last time the 621 was "reviewed" was back in 2006.
It is either much less capable, or most folks back then didn't figure out the secret of making it work.

At least for the CK-1 and DMX-741, getting Ku to work it very touchy.
The LNBF needs to be well centered on the dish, at the focus, and aimed accurately at the dish's center.
If not, then the C and Ku seem to peak differently on a given satellite.

Ya should find plenty of discussion in the threads, about installing 'em.
And of course, once critically aligned, either seems to do a pretty good job. :)

I use a BSC621-2 here. Works pretty nicely, but I'll second Anole's comment about centering the feed. I haven't yet guyed my buttonhook and often find I need to move the dish several nudges east or west to peak signals on a different band or polarization.

I have a DMX741. It works great!

I have a laser level that can shoot a 90º beam. I used this to center my LNB. Very necessary for Ku.

Thank you guys for your responses. I think the BSC-621-2 would not work with the 4DTV since it is universal. I will go for the DMX741.
I have a BSC-621-2 but it fell apart. I tried it on the 1.2 meter dish with ok results.

Thank you guys for your responses. I think the BSC-621-2 would not work with the 4DTV since it is universal. I will go for the DMX741.
I have a BSC-621-2 but it fell apart. I tried it on the 1.2 meter dish with ok results.
Well, if you had the Universal model, that was Universal on Ku only.
There isn't any 4DTV on Ku, so that was not the problem.
If it didn't work on C-band, you may not have had your 4D receiver setup properly... but that's a whole 'nother discussion. :)

You used a 621-2 on a 1.2m dish for which band?
I would think it'd have worked as a passable miniBUD, but wouldn't have done squat on Ku (based on what I've read).

Your choice of the DMX741 is a good one, for the $50 price range. - :up

I finally broke down and bought a DMX741 to replace my BSC621-1. But the differences between the two are very small. I just couldn't help myself and had to get one. I wouldn't do it again based upon the results. At least now I have something to compare it to.

It is, however, a newer lnb with slightly better specs than the BSC. And the BSC had also gotten a few bad reviews shortly after it came out. Both are almost always offered at about the same price.

The DMX I recently purchased had a really cheap-looking orange plastic cover at the rear of the lnb. But when I tapped on the BSC, I noticed it was plastic, too. It was just painted grey to match the rest of the unit.

You really can't get much for fifty bucks anymore! It does work well. And that's what matters.

The retailers that sell the BSC621-2 LNBFs advertised that it would not work with the 4DTV receivers, You must get the BSC621 to work with the 4DTV receivers. I was planning to use the BSC621 LNBF for the C Band on both FTA and 4DTV and the Ku part for the FTA receiver.
Somehow I want both FTA and the 4DTV off of the 8 foot dish. I got to figure out what switch or splitter to use to make this work...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts