Bsc422 dms LNB Woes

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sounds like the 410 has failed and is only able to power the LNBF in the vertical polarity.

You could use the GEOSATpro to control the LNBF polarity and loop through to the 410. Don't think that the 410 is capable of controlling a LNBF anymore. :(

Surprised that Skyvision support didn't have you check the polarity switching voltage......

They did have me check it and that's why they suggested a reset.
At one point, the setup was that the lnb was single, connected into the geosat, it's loopback was then connected into the dsr410.

I wondered if perhaps the geosat was preventing the dsr410 from sending it's 18v to the lnb. Your suggestion then is to reconnect as I had it and test that?

Disconnect the 410 from everything. Do not connect the 410 to the LNBF or the GEOSATpro and test the voltage on the LNBF IN port.

>Do not connect the 410 to the LNBF or the GEOSATpro and test the voltage on the LNBF IN port.

The test I ran was on the dsr410 with lnbf disconnected.
You want me to test the same thing on the geo next?

No.

Is the voltage on the 410 LNB IN port 11VDC when measuring directly to the port with the 410 disconnected from everything and only plugged into the electrical outlet?

>Is the voltage on the 410 LNB IN port 11VDC when measuring directly to the
>port with the 410 disconnected from everything and only plugged into the
>electrical outlet?

Correct. Nothing else other than A/V of course. No coax connected. I took readings with both coax (in-line to lnbf) and without coax and saw the same voltage.

Like I have pointed out before, the 410 is only outputting enough voltage to keep the LNBF polarity in the vertical position. It must output 18VDC on Horizontal channels to switch the LNBF polarity.

Either a menu setting in the 410 or failure of the unit. Bottom line ...... Your 410 isn't putting out the correct voltage anymore to control a LNBF.

I understand that I need the 18V to get all of the channels :).
So, you mentioned re-connecting so that the dsr gets it's feed from the geo now or are you thinking that has no value at this time?

Either a menu setting in the 410 or failure of the unit. Bottom line ...... Your 410 isn't putting out the correct voltage anymore to control a LNBF.

Brian I checked all the settings when I was there and the 410 is a stripped down version of a 4DTV so I couldnt find any menu setting for that

Iceberg said:
Brian I checked all the settings when I was there and the 410 is a stripped down version of a 4DTV so I couldnt find any menu setting for that

Understood. I know that certain 4DTV models can select LNB or LNBF control and inverse polarities. Thanks for the additional info!

Thats what I was looking for and didnt see any option like that.
Options 6-4 on a 4DTV goes into that menu for the LNB type. On the 410 you get 2 options
Cable A & B and I forget the other option but maybe it was the standard or HRC cable type (anywho both related to the cable input not a sat connection)

SATire said:
I understand that I need the 18V to get all of the channels :).
So, you mentioned re-connecting so that the dsr gets it's feed from the geo now or are you thinking that has no value at this time?

With the apparently defective 410, the only way for the 410 to tune both polarities would appear to be using the GEOSATpro to control the LNBF polarity.

Connect the LNBF to the GEOSATpro then loop out to the 410. The 410 would then be able to tune channels matching the polarity selected with the GEOSATpro.

Either that or time to buy a replacement 4DTV receiver. :(

SATire said:
Just tried that, same problem. 240 not coming in, 241 is.
Do I need to change anything on the geo?

Are you changing the GEOSATpro to the other polarity when trying to receive 240?

The GEOSATpro must select the polarity and only that polarity will be received by the 410. This means that if the GEOSATpro is on a Horizontal channel, the 410 will only be able to tune Horizontal channels. If the GEOSATpro is on a Vertical channel, the 410 will only be able to tune a Vertical channel.

Oh, right, of course, because the geo is powering the lnbf.
Time for a replacement receiver then because that's too much for me :).

What I did was to lock W5 in the geosat settings so that when I menu to satellite pointing, my dish moves and the signal comes into the dsr410.
Since there aren't any channels I can pick up on the w5 bird, I'm not even sure how I would use it to tune to one or the other polarity and sounds like too much work anyhow so guess I need to find a replacement.

Guess I'll start looking. I wish there were more choices rather than this old dsr410.

On an unrelated note, when going back to the geo to look at something, I ended up fine tuning the Intelsat9 signal in so scanned it. I have NEVER seen to many channels on any bird, 271???

yeah that sounds about right....most are scrambled but there are some good channels on there
NHK Japan for one ;)

edit: I guess that would probably be the one satellite I wouldn't scan all (instead of FTA) when you do a scan since most are scrambled

Last edited:
What I did was to lock W5 in the geosat settings so that when I menu to satellite pointing, my dish moves and the signal comes into the dsr410.
Since there aren't any channels I can pick up on the w5 bird, I'm not even sure how I would use it to tune to one or the other polarity and sounds like too much work anyhow so guess I need to find a replacement.

on the geosat when you bring up W5 on the menu where it lists the antenna settings/transponders (menu-antenna setup) just scroll until you find the opposite polarity transponder. I know there were some in there. Thats how you'd switch polarity for the 410.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)