bsc621-2 woes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xtgold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
nutmeg state
Do you think this type lnb can go bad just sitting around for years in a cellar?
I borrowed it years ago for mini bud experiments and gave it back.I borrowed it again this week but I can't even get it to work on ku band.I aim my dish with a regular universal ku then switch over to the bsc that I have to hold in place for the time being.I even bypassed with built in diseqc switch and connect right to the back,still no go.No signal no matter where I hold it in the usual lnb spot.No scalar ring attached. I use firmware on the receiver that has the signal beep function and use wireless headphones out at the dish.Lnb set for 9750/10600 like a regular universal,which is correct for that type lnb and the same settings I used years ago.

Get a Signal level?? I suppose if the basement it was stored in was damp, and the seals dried up on it allowing infiltration, could have 'rusted up' the innards. Nah, would have to get extremely damp. I got old LNBs in the basement, never had a problem. Some for 10+years, still work.
But then again, anything's possible.
Bugs get into the throat??

signal level equivalent to a good one not aimed at anything but connected.
On my openbox s10 that would be 45%
No clogged throat.
A good ku lnb showed signal quality of 73% so it's a strong ku signal.
I don't think it was ever dropped,but who knows.

do I need a scalar right off the bat for C band aiming?Some say yes and others say no.
I would have to make one.

A scalar is not necessary when experimenting and tuning a strong transponder, but on full size c-band reflectors the scalar can greatly affect the reception of weaker or frequencies with terrestrial interference.

they sell a conical scalar specifically for mini bud experiments,that is why I was asking.
I think years ago I pre-aimed at a sat with a regular ku lnb then switched to the bsc for c band searching.
I know the elevation was off by 4 or 5 degrees due to the jury rigged bracket at the time which made aiming tougher.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts