BTN and Time Warner Reach Agreement

Madison Hawk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 14, 2007
Big Ten Network, Time Warner reach deal - Don Walker: Business of Sports

"Time Warner cable and the Big Ten Network have reached agreement on a carriage deal that will allow University of Wisconsin athletic events to be carried on the cable system.

Two sources with knowledge of the agreement say an announcement could be made as early as tonight. The agreement ends more than a year of off- and on- discussions between Time Warner, the major cable carrier in Wisconsin, and the year-old Big Ten Network."

With the Time Warner deal and reports of an imminent deal with Mediacom, if Charter reaches agreement also, the BTN will have reached its distribution goal of a strong expanded basic penetration in the Big Ten region and strong national distribution through DirecTV, AT&T U-Verse and Verizon FiOS basic and sports tier coverage on other systems. For all of its public battles, the BTN has done a fantastic job at getting widespread distribution when compared to other comparable networks such as the NFL Network, ESPNU and CBS College Sports, all of whom have been around longer yet have much less distribution.

Updated article here: http://blogs.jsonline.com/businesso.../time-warner-big-ten-network-have-a-deal.aspx

Last edited:
I hate Charter, they are always last to get an agreement. Pretty pathetic that Madison area cable customers cannot get BTN but now Milwaukee can.

first gol tv and now the big ten network!!!! did time warner cable get a new ceo or something? if these two channels are added to the sports pack here, i might actually subscribe to it.

I was just thinking -- I wonder if the SEC's announcement today will help drive agreements with the BTN. Sounds odd, but consider this: one big reason for providers not to cave to the BTN was because they didn't want to set a precedent that can be used against them with future conference networks. Well, with the SEC bypassing the opportunity for forming a network, there is likely no impending other conference network on the horizon, so the fears of multiple networks jacking up providers' costs isn't really there. So, at this point, why not make a deal with the BTN, keep your customers -- hell, maybe draw back some former ones -- and try to look like the good guy in working out a deal?

I was just thinking -- I wonder if the SEC's announcement today will help drive agreements with the BTN. Sounds odd, but consider this: one big reason for providers not to cave to the BTN was because they didn't want to set a precedent that can be used against them with future conference networks. Well, with the SEC bypassing the opportunity for forming a network, there is likely no impending other conference network on the horizon, so the fears of multiple networks jacking up providers' costs isn't really there. So, at this point, why not make a deal with the BTN, keep your customers -- hell, maybe draw back some former ones -- and try to look like the good guy in working out a deal?

I agree that the SEC announcement may have a been a factor as it indicated that the BTN will be the only BCS conference to have their own network for the forseeable future.

I haven't seen it mentioned it, but Charter also came to terms with the BTN. That leaves Mediacom as the only major provider within the Big Ten states who has not officially signed on (and they've been rumored to be "close" for a while).

Also, the BTN has a gamefinder resource on their website that can look up the channel for a particular game.

Just heard a commercial this morning here in Cleveland that TWC still doesn't have the BTN and if you want it, you'll have to go with D*, the leader in sports. Evidently, D* hasn't pulled these commercials yet to update the situation...

BTN Success

I haven't seen it mentioned it, but Charter also came to terms with the BTN. That leaves Mediacom as the only major provider within the Big Ten states who has not officially signed on (and they've been rumored to be "close" for a while).

It became official this afternnon.

Mediacom Statement - Big Ten Network

For all the criticism the BTN and the Big Ten took, it has done remarkably well:

• Significant distribution on expanded basic in the Midwest.
  • Increasingly wide availability on basic tiers (DirecTV, U-Verse, FiOS) or sports tier (most other providers).
  • Total distribution of 40+ million households and availability to 90 million households (greater than NFL Network, ESPNU, CBS College Sports)
  • Every home football and men's basketball game televised, most in HD.
  • Overall quality product, with top notch broadcasters and analysts.
  • Significant exposure for the non-revenue sports.
  • Big $$$$.
Sure, the BTN needs to shore up some areas (e.g. announcers after the top three crews are marginal, albeit better than Pam Ward and Ray Bentley and greater use of classic games in the offseason), but the BTN sure is looking like a strong success. Now, if the Big Ten can just have the same success on the field this season . . .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts