Bu-Buy voOm, hello Mr. 942

axcelr8

Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Just made the switch today. This thing is awsome! I have my second TV running off of it also! Now I just need to add an 811 to get true HD in the second room.

Sorry voOm....but this just left you in their dust.

Enjoy it as a new customer.
I was denyed 942 because I am not a new customer, actually I am a customer without Dish programming.
To buy soon to be obsolete 942 is insane.
So bye Dish. Welcome TWC!

That's the way I feel about it Scott. V*, have it, can't record it. E*, can record...what? Still, looking forward to firing up the 942 in a week or so (even if all there is to record are endless "Law and Order" repeats on TNT)...for now I have to stare at the box, then over at Voom, still flickering on my Sony. T-minus 15 and counting.

C'mon Ergen, gimme the best of both and throw the Voom pack (and UHD) on E* and soon!

I wouldn't count on Ergen picking up the Voom pack. I have heard so many promises from dish concerning the HD promise that never came through, I will beieve it when I see it NOT before. In the meaning I wil go with comcast, where I don't have to output 700 bucks for a dvr that won't support mpeg4

I'm seriously considering the 942/625 package to join Dish to replace Voom. A question about the 942 - does it get guide info for OTA channels? I've tried reading as many 942 threads as I've seen but don't recall if I've read about that yet...

Scott, from what I've been told from several sources, yes, the 942 gets guide info for OTA sources...the question that seems to have some uncertainty (but was asserted by reputable sources and a CSR) is whether you have to subscribe to analog locals from Dish to get the OTAs to show up in the 942 guide.

They will apparently show up without a subscription on non-DVR HD recievers, however (i.e 811).

Another soon-to-be ex-voomer here... how sensitive is the OTA tuner in the 942? Just curious. Also, for running a second TV, how long can the run be between the two sets?

I just got my 942 two days ago. My OTA locals do not have a guide, but I don't think I subscribe to analog locals, whatever that means. I'm not sure how sensitive the OTA tuner is. I did notice last night that one of the OTA channels that I always get with no problem was cutting out on the 942. So maybe this means that its not very sensitive. It could also be due to how I have it hooked up. I have the one coax from the dish and the coax from my antenna going into a diplexer, then one cable coming out of the diplexer into the house. Then inside the house there is another diplexer which splits the signal back into antenna and sat. Then there is a "splitter" that splits the sat signal into two and into the 942. I did not know if this would work but it seems to work well. The 942 shows that its getting good signal from both satellite inputs. Anyway this might degrade the antenna signal a little i don't know.

I understand that a diplexer does degrade the OTA signal somewhat. i believe that it is adviseable to run seperate coax when you can.

I was getting on my 921 , 95- 101 on most of my digital channels. I now have the 942 and I am getting 67-76 on all of my ota channels. I even repeaked my ota antenna and I am using diplexors too. I don't know if this is really different than before. I think that the 921 used to go from 0-125 while the 942 goes from 0-100 . So I don't know if this means I am loosing my signal or if this means that the range has dropped that they measure it with. Either way I am seeing more drop outs on my Nbc station which was always my weakest station. I hope that this doesn't mean that I will have to use another antenna other than the clip on terk 44. I don't really have any more money to invest right now in more electronics. My wife will kill me if I spend anymore.

So far they are only using the psip info for the actual channel number and name. The information is coming from the sd sat channels information- if you sub to locals from Dish and if Dish carries your city. If you are in an area with no locals from Dish you are sh*t out of luck.

Hi. I am another ex-voomer. I have signed up for service and I have the 942 on order. What OTA antenna is recomended? Can I use my old Voom OTA antenna? Thanks.

DaculaThrasher said:
Hi. I am another ex-voomer. I have signed up for service and I have the 942 on order. What OTA antenna is recomended? Can I use my old Voom OTA antenna? Thanks.

Yup - an antenna is an antenna. If it worked for Voom, it will work with your 942 receiver. Note that folks are reporting differences in OTA tuner sensitivity on the 942 versus the Voom box as well as 921s. I just had a 942 installed yesterday (former Voom sub :( ) and so far I have gotten all the OTA channels I got with Voom. I also have a very capable OTA antenna so I'm pumping some signal into the 942.

Doug

Which antenna are you using? The voom? The installer wanted to charge me $149 for another antenna and $120 for installation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)