Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
I have recently added the Visionsat receiver to my old analog system and am moving my old BUD a lot as I'm scanning in satellites and learning to use my new toy. The Venture actuator I have presently is close to 10 years old (but not used much for the last 5 years) and I have greased it at the zerk and WD40ed the shaft and all pivot points yearly since it's been installed, but I was wondering, is there any lubrication or cleaning I could/should be doing to the motor or gearbox that could extend the life of this actuator?

SatVentactuator.jpg

Yes, do not use WD40.
It is not a lubricant.

If you need a solvent, a cleaner, or something to displace water, then WD40 is your tool.
But once that's done, be sure to use a proper lube on the part in question.

As for the grease, I believe the proper catchword is: molybdenum disulfide.

I've had good luck with white llithium grease, on the pivot points only. As to your specific question of cleaning, lubing of the gears or motor..nope, never have. My Von Weisse turns 18 this May.

Thanks Anole, your post piqued my curiosity regarding WD-40 as I had always assumed it to be a lubricant, the following may be common knowledge but I thought this was interesting:

"According to the company that makes WD-40: WD-40 literally stands for water displacement 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who helped develop WD-40 back in 1953. Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula for WD-40 on his 40th try.

WD-40 was invented by the three founders of the Rocket Chemical Company of San Diego, California. The team of inventors were working on a line of industrial rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry.

WD-40 was first used to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion."

:cool:

I've had good luck with white llithium grease, on the pivot points only. As to your specific question of cleaning, lubing of the gears or motor..nope, never have. My Von Weisse turns 18 this May.

Thanks starman345!

I have been listening to my actuator a lot lately and to my untrained ear it sounds like all is well. Here's to hoping mine can also make it to "voting age", that's amazing. :)

I installed rubber accordion boots on all my actuators. That way snow and ice won't jam up actuator movement and rainwater won't seep down into the jackscrew if the seal is worn or cracked. And it seems to keep the moving actuator arm from rusting. Good luck.

Thanks Anole, your post piqued my curiosity regarding WD-40 as I had always assumed it to be a lubricant, the following may be common knowledge but I thought this was interesting:

"According to the company that makes WD-40: WD-40 literally stands for water displacement 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who helped develop WD-40 back in 1953. Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula for WD-40 on his 40th try.

WD-40 was invented by the three founders of the Rocket Chemical Company of San Diego, California. The team of inventors were working on a line of industrial rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry.

WD-40 was first used to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion."

:cool:

--from a locksmith - never use WD-40 on locks, unless you want to be able to pick them quickly in 3 days!--

I installed rubber accordion boots on all my actuators. That way snow and ice won't jam up actuator movement and rainwater won't seep down into the jackscrew if the seal is worn or cracked. And it seems to keep the moving actuator arm from rusting. Good luck.

Hermitman, that is a good idea, I had never thought of adding one to my existing arm, didn't realize they could be "retrofitted" to an actuator that didn't come with one originally. After reading your post I took a little closer look at my seal, it's in pretty bad shape. Here's some pics of my back yard in January 07, a boot would have come in handy then! :eek:

Attachments

• Ice Storm Birdbath.JPG
    Ice Storm Birdbath.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Ice Storm Propane Tank.JPG
    Ice Storm Propane Tank.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 162
  • Ice Storm Champ2.JPG
    Ice Storm Champ2.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Ice Stormb 01-13-07.JPG
    Ice Stormb 01-13-07.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 149
I've always used boots, I've seen some installled incorrectly, weep hole needs to be on the bottom...water won't flow uphill:)
Looks like you had a major ice storm in your back yard!

Even in an area known for it's ice storms that one in Jan 07 was remarkable, for 2 days and 2 nights solid it sounded like gunshots with all the limbs (and power poles!) breaking off. We were out of power for 13 days but with propane heat, hot water and cook stove we were able to manage with a 6Kw generator, it would run our well pump if I shut everything else down. Here's another pic, you can see old BUD peeking out in this one:

Attachments

• Ice Storm House Zoom.JPG
    Ice Storm House Zoom.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 228
Even in an area known for it's ice storms that one in Jan 07 was remarkable, for 2 days and 2 nights solid it sounded like gunshots with all the limbs (and power poles!) breaking off. We were out of power for 13 days but with propane heat, hot water and cook stove we were able to manage with a 6Kw generator, it would run our well pump if I shut everything else down. Here's another pic, you can see old BUD peeking out in this one:

Wow, that last picture is incredible. During the ice storm of '98 we had five days non stop of freezing rain/ice pellets. I know what you mean by sounding like gunshots when branches break. I spent a couple of overnights opening roads so power crews could get around. It was eerie in the dark to hear those branches going off and the blue flashes in the sky of transformers blowing.
I can't make out your bud in the picture but is that a tower I can see? Are you a ham?

Wow, that last picture is incredible. During the ice storm of '98 we had five days non stop of freezing rain/ice pellets. I know what you mean by sounding like gunshots when branches break. I spent a couple of overnights opening roads so power crews could get around. It was eerie in the dark to hear those branches going off and the blue flashes in the sky of transformers blowing.
I can't make out your bud in the picture but is that a tower I can see? Are you a ham?

Ah yes, the "blue flash" of exploding tranformers, remember those well. We got the accumulation that you see in about 8 hours, the really crazy part is that it didn't really stick to the roads that much so they were still passable for the THOUSANDS of utility contractors that came into the area to rebuild the grid.

Yes, that is a tower, and I've been called a "ham" :D (was a part-time musician for years), but am not a ham radio guy. I have a CB antenna, old analog cell phone antenna and our OTA antenna up on that tower, even with the tower our OTA reception was pretty dismal on all but NBC. I'm real proud of the network stuff I am getting FTA on our new Visionsat, it's made my March Madness viewing quite enjoyable! :) The BUD is visible just to the left of the eave on the left end of our house, here is another pic about a week after the "great thaw", there was a lot of cleanup already done at this point. :eek:

Attachments

• Ice Storm Thaw House Shop2.JPG
    Ice Storm Thaw House Shop2.JPG
    764 KB · Views: 202
I don't think it would hurt the worm gear, grease is good for moving parts:D But that would mean I would have to get inside the actuator and mine isn't built for easy access....maybe for a reason, so I just have never touched it. Who knows, it might outlive me if I put some grease on it:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts