BUD and winds

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I've been struggling for years to find a solution to my BUD shaking in high winds (25+ MPH) - especially gusts which can get as high at 65 MPH. I have one BUD that's shielded by the predominate wind but it still gets shook up causing intermittent loss of signal. So, putting up a shield to protect my other 12 foot BUD doesn't sound like a viable solution. Every nut and bolt is tightened down. I guess the problem is in the actuator but fixing the dish on one satellite just won't do. I don't know how well something like this would work:

https://www.google.com/patents/US3918065

Check for play in the actuator.The old actuator that I put on mama's dish is worn out. I can pull the dish by hand on one side and it will extend another 4 inches.

It wasn't so bad on the 7.5, but the 10 footer whupped it.lol

The design appears to be for fixed dish. The elastomer membrane is only the narrow seal between the rigid outer structure and the dish rim that keeps wind out of the interior.

Notice also that the size of the igloo appears to be at least twice the diameter of the dish.

Yea, if it's really windy, i just have to resort to my FIXED ku dishes or pop in a DVD. As long as everything is standing when I wake up, im happy.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Depends on whether it's a solid dish or a mesh dish.. I've seen solid dishes (non H to H) shake all over in a heavy wind but my mesh has never lost the signal due to wind in 25 years. If the signal starts to disappear I know there's snow built up on it so it's time for galoshes and a broom. :)

A mesh dish becomes a solid surface at about 35mph
According to eHow, the mesh defeating wind speed is closer to 50mph. Either way, a 65mph gust isn't going to be tolerated without extensive protective measures such as you've used.

At least one manufacturer is rating their 12' mesh dish at a 90kph (56mph) operational wind speed (150kph survival).

Depends on whether it's a solid dish or a mesh dish.. I've seen solid dishes (non H to H) shake all over in a heavy wind but my mesh has never lost the signal due to wind in 25 years. If the signal starts to disappear I know there's snow built up on it so it's time for galoshes and a broom. :)

I guess that's why my first dish, a perforated 8 footer on an HH mount, stood up to the Wyoming winds while these mesh dishes on a polar mount don't. (?) Too bad there aren't any new HH C-band dishes available for the consumer market anymore. But, I don't recall any of the 6 meter Ku solid dishes with Az-El mounts having wind issues. OK, I'll shut up about this and just live with what I have - I'm not going to spend the time and money re-doing my installation (unless I win the lottery).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts