Bud Declination Angle Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
Hello and thanks for reading my post. A friend ask me to help him install his BUD and align it. Have a look at the closeup pic of the mount. There are two adjustments there ... the back one which has to be the Elevation Angle, and the front one which has to be the declination angle. Right now, the back jack screw is set to give an elevation angle of 34 degrees which is correct for SoCal. See the small ring on the back of the dish, the front jack screw is set so that the small ring measures 40 degrees. I would expect that adjustment to be something like 36 degrees. Right now, we're close ... we can lock on all the birds West of True South. However East of True South ... the last bird we can get a lock on is 91W (and that signal is very strong 70%). East of 91W we get nothing. I noticed that the mount doesn't attach in the center of the small ring at the back of the dish ... it's offset. Maybe this mount doesn't align like my Pinnacle does (declination angle 2 more degrees than elevation angle). Before making any large adjustments, I'd like to ask your opinion of what I should do next. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sat 1.jpg
Sat 2.jpg
Sat 3.jpg

Reactions: satmex
Here's a link to the Perfect 10 manual that I originally uploaded years ago. It will tell you everything you need to know about this dish. Let me warn you though, you MUST follow the instructions for assembly EXACTLY. If you don't, and take shortcuts, it won't work properly. I found that out the hard way. Once I went back and redid it THEIR way, it all worked perfectly.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3486451/

Reactions: KJ6EO and KE4EST
Hello and thanks for reading my post. A friend ask me to help him install his BUD and align it. Have a look at the closeup pic of the mount. There are two adjustments there ... the back one which has to be the Elevation Angle, and the front one which has to be the declination angle. Right now, the back jack screw is set to give an elevation angle of 34 degrees which is correct for SoCal. See the small ring on the back of the dish, the front jack screw is set so that the small ring measures 40 degrees. I would expect that adjustment to be something like 36 degrees. Right now, we're close ... we can lock on all the birds West of True South. However East of True South ... the last bird we can get a lock on is 91W (and that signal is very strong 70%). East of 91W we get nothing. I noticed that the mount doesn't attach in the center of the small ring at the back of the dish ... it's offset. Maybe this mount doesn't align like my Pinnacle does (declination angle 2 more degrees than elevation angle). Before making any large adjustments, I'd like to ask your opinion of what I should do next. Thanks in advance for your help!

View attachment 126629 View attachment 126630 View attachment 126631

The next thing I would do is check the dish for play, it should have NONE GET THE DISH RIGHT UP TO THE TOP ITS CALLED THE "zenith" now grab the edge of the dish and try pushing it back and forth there should be zero play, now grab the dish 90 degrees away and do the same thing NO PLAY. If you do, you have to find out why or you just washing your time your never going to track that dish!!!!!!!!!!!! and before you start don't forget to string the dish, and make sure your feed is DEAD CENTER

Reactions: KJ6EO
You haft to string the dish when you put the 4 feed supports on ... right?

Sent from my SM-G930V using the SatelliteGuys app!
of course anything can throw it off not if the dish has a rubber around it to hold the mesh it, do the string before you put the rubber channel on it can throw off a true reading been there done, always do a good job, or don't do it at all is the way i'm you guys can always email me direct at diamondsatellite@snet.net anyone need tracker remotes, receivers as is don't know what works or care its one step from the dump you pay for all shipping the crap is free

Reactions: KJ6EO
Thanks for your comments. I'm gonna read the manual to see what's going on.

Well I'm available for free advise on C-band, just email me and I will give you my cell number I use a desk computer so I don't text I also don't take calls in the morning, but have been in C-band since 1982 done every brand there ever was made, some just are not worth playing with, they can't be made to work right never were, like radio shack lots more, so best to ask me what I think of the bud you found before you waste your time, have a lot of DBS, FTA work too. Half my living was repairing the electronics and half was freezing my butt off or cooking in the sun, now I just removed I hope the last skin cancer that's 6 of them, can't do the work even if you paid me, I have a bum left shoulder thanks to a jerk surgeon from Uconn CT.

I used a ton of those dishes when I was in business. I thought they were one of the best wire mesh dishes available.I just located one of these myself and I'm waiting to find out if they'll let it go.

Reactions: satmex and KE4EST
I used a ton of those dishes when I was in business. I thought they were one of the best wire mesh dishes available.I just located one of these myself and I'm waiting to find out if they'll let it go.
There good, but even good stuff can be put together wrong, but your right the only problem I saw, on old ones was play in the actuator, and the dish bearings, but you can pull the collier pin and tighten the nut, get a new actuator i may have some JGS parts here for free you pay shipping

Reactions: satmex
There good, but even good stuff can be put together wrong, but your right the only problem I saw, on old ones was play in the actuator, and the dish bearings, but you can pull the collier pin and tighten the nut, get a new actuator i may have some JGS parts here for free you pay shipping

I tried a few Winegard dishes and wasn't very impressed with their performance. These Perfect 10 dishes always had a high signal level and after assembling a couple of them, I could put them together in the dark and did a few times with a flashlight in one hand, and wrenches in the other. We had a dealer near us that used the Janeil Dark Star dishes. I wasn't impressed by the plastic ribs, and chose not to use them, but I was shocked to see how well they actually worked.

There are a few of them left around here, but I'd venture to say, they wouldn't fare very well if someone tried to move them to a different location. After being in the sun all these years, the UV rays would have had to degrade the material used in the ribs. I hope I get the Perfect 10 I checked on this past weekend. I put this one in several years ago and it's in pristine condition. It's been 4 days now and I haven't heard a word. I hope this isn't a bad omen. I really want this bugger. :)

My 'Perfect 10' 10 footer was the best C-band dish I've ever had, combined with an orthomode feed. The Venture ball screw actuator is also always dead-nuts on from move to move.

I tried a few Winegard dishes and wasn't very impressed with their performance. These Perfect 10 dishes always had a high signal level and after assembling a couple of them, I could put them together in the dark and did a few times with a flashlight in one hand, and wrenches in the other. We had a dealer near us that used the Janeil Dark Star dishes. I wasn't impressed by the plastic ribs, and chose not to use them, but I was shocked to see how well they actually worked.

There are a few of them left around here, but I'd venture to say, they wouldn't fare very well if someone tried to move them to a different location. After being in the sun all these years, the UV rays would have had to degrade the material used in the ribs. I hope I get the Perfect 10 I checked on this past weekend. I put this one in several years ago and it's in pristine condition. It's been 4 days now and I haven't heard a word. I hope this isn't a bad omen. I really want this bugger. :)
your plastic and UV don't mix well

I hate that on some birds you need to play with the skew, digital signals get effected from the side lobe of the bird 2 degree spaced away

I never had that issue with the way I had mine setup. First of all, a good 10ft dish doesn't have issues with 2 degree spacing. Also, with a properly setup orthomode feed, and Norsat 8115 lnbs I never had issues with skew.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts