Bud Dish Availability in Canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.
cyberham with buddy cool cat: You really do travel the Maritimes. I had to look up Wedgeport although I have been far enough in that direction to kayak the beautiful Kejimkujik. I hope you get to Newfoundland as well, such a stunning place by all measure. My hunt is over for now (if I have a reason to go back to Miramichi it may return) but I am curious, I have never actually been close enough to inspect one. It would appear a truck is required for the big ones, is that correct or do they breakdown to roof rack size for shipping? Stan Carew's Weekend Morning is on the radio so we'll be hearing from all corners of this part of the world at some time this morning.

You probably know all this but just in case - Hobbysat April Days - Halifax Electronics For Sale - Kijiji Halifax Canada.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
That finicky cat of yours looks like she might appreciate a cool cat. We visited the Kejimkujik Adjunct yesterday on the south shore NS coast. Not as appealing as Summerville or Queensland Beach, but it's always fun to explore new areas: visiting new brings hope to find a good C-band dish. We have explored NL from coast-coast along TCH#1 and most of PEI from the wind turbines at North Cape to Murray Harbour in the east. Back to topic...

The mesh don't require much of a truck. In B.C. where I uninstalled one 10-foot mesh from a backyard for free in 2006, it disassembled into 4 sections and sat nicely on top of a Ford Aerostar roof rack for the short drive home. I did the procedure alone to give an idea of how simple it is when dealing with mesh. Hobbysat in Halifax is a good satellite hobbyist resource to know about. I obtained both my 1-metre dishes from Jeremy and Pam. For just $69 each with zero shipping cost, I had two brand new Ku-band dishes and receiver/accessories that I could take home inside my SUV. I hope locals use and support them.

What would that be - about 8' X 5' - that could work on a Jetta for a couple of hundred kilometres. I go further with a 17.5' kayak but the shape is more aerodynamic. The thought of having a photograph of me with the car ensnared in something circulated on the Internet as an impromptu roadside attraction helps curb the spirit. One of the benefits of age I guess. If you are coming this way again, send a PM and I'll fire up the coffee maker.

Thanks,
Jim

Those dimensions sound about right for a dish with a 31+ foot circumference. It was safe for a couple of km in a residential area stacked on the roof. A small cube van would make more sense for hundreds of km. But then there goes the budget with gas and rental charges. Maybe go to NB, pick up half a dozen and sell them around PEI to cover costs. I like coffee.

Im glad to hear Mike will be offering a quality product once again the NA without resorting to $2k commercial units. I also have a digiwave dish, honestly a tinfoil pie plate has more structural integrity. pure junk, I paid around $50 for it and I wouldnt recommend anyone paying more then $20 for it.

It would be exciting if there was such a thing as an affordable new 10-foot mesh dish again. I think if C-band could be installed as easily as pizza dishes (pick up phone, call company, have installer come and install), C-band might be adopted by more users across US/Canada. Average person now doesn't know anything about C-band anymore and, if they are aware of it, they wouldn't know how to put a system in. I realize cost of installation and parts for C-band will always be more than pizza dishes, but when you counterbalance annual subscription fee of pizza service, C-band installs probably could be justified for users who don't want 250 channels most of which they won't watch anyway.

Im glad to hear Mike will be offering a quality product once again the NA without resorting to $2k commercial units. I also have a digiwave dish, honestly a tinfoil pie plate has more structural integrity. pure junk, I paid around $50 for it and I wouldnt recommend anyone paying more then $20 for it.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

I got a good dish - captures signal well and appears to be as strong as my other dishes - from a company actively displaying zero product knowledge and probably inconsistent in purchasing and branding. I find an increasing number of suppliers are just bookkeepers with computers and a logo. Gone are the days of "proudly made in..." I usually ask a basic technical question before buying. If there is no reply or a dubious one I stop there. Unfortunately their BUD mounting knowledge was matched by mine and their literature is flat out incorrect. Fortunately my neighbour and I have defined it as a project worthy of our time and his talent. So now my hobbies are spawning hobbies and I am winning converts one dish at a time.

I got my 10 foot mesh by putting a add in kijiji and craigslist. Said I would take it down and haul it away for free. Got a number of reply's without having to search for them.
I started with the 6 footer and found that would not do for me, you miss too many channels and feeds and many others come in weak with a 6 foot.
The 10 foot breaks down nice into sections and is lighter then my 6 foot solid.

I had an ad with nice BUD photo running in kijiji for months. I never received a single reply. I did meet the fellow who looks for mesh dishes to chop them up into pieces to use for building his greenhouse. We are in competition for the dishes, but he does give me everything else he obtains.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts