BUD for FTA Questions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Busdriver

Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Bark River, Mi.
I would like to use a "bud" to view FTA programing. I have a co-worker that will give me 2 complete mesh 9' dish set ups if I take everything he has. I'm wondering what things I should be looking at when I go to inspect what he has as far as the size of the mesh? I also am curious as to what other things that I could possibly re-use? I.E. LNB, motors, feedhorn, etc? Also since these dishes have been out of use of several years I really don't expect to be able to use many of the parts except the dish itself , any advice or recommendations about the parts needed to make the dish operational would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, I have learned a lot reading this forum in the past 10 days!
Charlie

Welcome to the C-band forum Charlie. now on to your questions

1)I'm wondering what things I should be looking at when I go to inspect what he has as far as the size of the mesh?

For reliable KU band reception I have been informed that the mesh size should me no larger than 1/8th inch, tho some people have said that up to the size of a pencil is OK.

2)I also am curious as to what other things that I could possibly re-use? I.E. LNB, motors, feedhorn, etc?

You might be suprised just how much of this stuff still works. You will most likely be able to use the actuator (dish mover) if water hasnt got into it. If the actuator doesnt work, then look for a 2" diameter actuator, 24" long. Von Weisse is a good actuator.

Most likely you will want to replace the LNB for a newer, low noise version. If the feedhorn is strictly C-Band you might consider getting a C/KU band feedhorn so you can get KU band with its wealth of FTA.

Hope this helps somewhat

Your best bet is not to try to use the arm, open it up clean it up lube it up and it should be ok, the LNB's should be ok but like said here a new one would be good, for dvb type feeds if you want analog it should work, the box should also be good, you can upgrade to the 4dtv or you can use the old analog IRD and just slave a DVB to it.

If your friends lives near you DO NOT REMOVE the mount from the dish, only from the pole. Otherwise, you will need to readjust it, which can be difficult.

Thanks for the replies! I know that both dishes are on the ground, unsure whether or not the mount is still attached to either dish. I will go this weekend to look at everything.
My plan is to get the dish set up this spring. (I have to wait until the frost is out of the ground!) I would like a 4DTV receiver with HD in the future also, so if I replace the LNB's now what should I be looking for? (C & Ku Band) I have seen so many different brands and spec's that I wouldn't know where to start when looking.
I want to get set up to watch DVB first so I will also be looking for a reliable easy to use C/Ku band receiver first.
I'm also wondering if there are any Russian language programing that is available, either free or subscription?
Thanks,
Charlie

If those dishes are on the ground make sure that they are not warped at all. If they are warped you will have problems.

I hadn't thought about checking to see if the dishes are warped, thanks drhydro for the tip!
It turned out that my friend has 3 dishes, all 10' mesh and all of them are in good shape and seem to have a small enough mesh to work for my application. I was unable to fit more then the point of a pencil in the mesh. Unfortunately the mounts on all of them had been removed when they were taken down, he still has 2 of the mounts. The dish I'm interested in still has the mount and the dish mover there for it. The mover says "Thompson-Saginaw" in raised lettering on the motor but no model number, it is 2 inches in diameter and has ball bearing type holes to mount the unit.The pole is also out of the ground.
charper1, thanks for the links for the LNB's and feedhorn. I do want to be able to get everything I can possibly watch so I will be looking for a C/Ku dual band feedhorn and the new LNB's you suggested.
I plan to start with just a DVB type receiver at first then add a 4DTV receiver, any suggestion as to what type of DVB receiver to get?
Thanks again,
Charlie

Thompson-Saginaw is the best arm money can by, these arms last well over any other arms ever made, I have never seen a Saginaw go bad in all my years, I never put one on my dish because they are pricey, but seem to be well worth it, I'v had 3 arms in 20 years If I had a Saginaw from day one like many people I no It would still be kicking :)

Charlie,
There are some things to look at in figuring out which DVB reciever you are going to use.
1) do you want the DVB reciever to be able to move your BUD with an optional dish mover such as the V-Box? And do you want it to also be able to control a polarotor?
2) do you want AC-3 audio capability?

If you just want to "slave" your dvb player to an anolog reciever which will control dish movement and polarity and dont care about AC-3 than you can use somthing like the Satworks 3618. That reciever has blind scan capabilities and can control the polarotor for a c/ku Corotor.

If you might want to move the BUD using your DVB box, and want AC3 audio, i would look at a Pansat 2500a. The Pansat control a Diseqc dish mover, has blind scan capablilities, AC-3 audio out, and can control a polarotor.

There are many DVB recievers out there, but my favorites are the Pansat 2500a and the Fortec lifetime ultra. There are writeups on some of the DVB recievers in the FTA forums.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)