Bud Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satmac69

Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
north east
I was interested in having a 10' C band dish installed in my yard. I have all the parts from a friend who had it at his house. I was wondering if someone could give me a rough estimate on how much I should pay someone to install and point it. I had an estimate for $1000.00 can this be right? or am I getting Ripped off? Thanks in advance to those who answer. Satmac:confused:

$1000 is about $1000 more than what I'd pay.

10 hrs at $30/hr should cover it; $300 max.

If you have some basic hand tools, common sense and a little persistence you can handle it.

:welcome

In this area, $500 - 750 if the installer provides the materials.

I agree, do it yourself and some help for the heavy stuff. Hire a few guys from out in front of Home Depot for 5 or 6 hours to dig the hole and install the pole. Provide them with 10+ bags 80lb cement, 2 or 3 bags of gravel, 10+ foot pole with tabs or rebar welded on 1 foot up from base and a post level.

What you are getting into: Sight survey for the most satellites if you have trees or buildings to the SE/S/SW. Dig a 3 - 4 foot deep hole 3 foot across in the shape of a water drop. This is to prevent the frost line from shifting the pole. Dump two bags of course gravel in the bottom of the hole for the pole to sit on. Place the pole in the hole and fill the hole with cement. Resist the urge to make a slab on top, keeping the top of the cement at or slightly below the soil line. This will keep the frost heave from moving the pole during deep freezes.

The knowledgebase is here if you want to give it a try. Just remember that the pole must be absolutely plumb and level!

First step is to scope out where you, [well] the dish, will see the most of the satellite arc. www.dishpointer.com Satellites will be from 139W to 72W for the domestics, and going further east for the Atlantic & international sats.
Then, dig a hole and plant the pole there. Perfectly vertical
Some reading (don't get discouraged from the amount of info) http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html When the time comes we can 'talk you through' it all in simple terms.
Ah yes, I see I.m a slow typist, 2 other responses since I started(?)

One bit of information given on that site is that "soupy" concrete is stronger. This is absolutely false. Plant the whole pole using concrete mixed as stiff as you can handle. This will reduce shrinkage cracks from too much water and give the highest strength possible with the mix you've bought. Plus it will set quicker and allow you to continue working the next day setting the dish.

If you are physically able and can work with hand tools, a neighbor buddy and a trip to the hardware store and pipe supply house can get you up and going. We will walk you through it step by step. We all started like you. We knew nothing about it. Now we can whip a big dish up In the air in no time.

I am also installing a 10 footer in my yard this year. The assembly and wiring are not a problem, but I am concerned about getting the pole plumb and secure. I thought about looking for an installer just to set up the pole. I'm sure that I will be asking you all for suggestion too.

Thanks in advance,
Norman
Winegard Pinnacle CK-1088
Fortec 1M Dish
DG380 Motor
MicroHD

Last edited:
If you're in a rural area, you're probably going to be stuck with putting it up yourself -- unless you know of good, reputable installers. But you'll have more fun and learn a lot putting it up yourself. Mine quit about six months ago. I think I need a new actuator but am agonizing over buying one too small at a lesser price or paying over $100 for an actuator with a bigger cylinder. I installed an Openbox S10 on it and was getting perfect operation from it for two years. I purchased it from China directly and paid about $80 for it. Check out Ivy Stone Place. They've got a cheap c/ku band lnb for about $20 shipped. Everything is cheap now -- especially if you do it yourself.

I am also installing a 10 footer in my yard this year. The assembly and wiring is not a problem, but I am concerned about getting the pole plumb and secure. I thought about looking for an installer just to set up the pole. I'm sure that I will be asking you all for suggestion too.

Thanks in advance,
Norman
Winegard Pinnacle CK-1088
Fortec 1M Dish
DG380 Motor
MicroHD
get the pole @ pipe store.
find i guy who does fencing work he should get it plum for you
good luck

i did a 12 ftr with the help of this forum and its wonderful people i had no experience with c band and it wasnt that hard 1000 youre getting ripped of with that you could buy upgrades and still have money left

i got my 3" schedule 40 (3.5" OD) from our local warehouse (JABO supply) for 25.00. they only sell pipe in 21 foot sections. Sometimes customers request pipe to be cut. Even if you have them cut it, you still pay for the entire 21 feet. They sold me a 10' "remnant" for 25.00.

I got a 9' to 10' piece of 3.5" pipe for free.
It even had a 25 year old patina on it! :)
...and a nice/free 8' dish atop it.
Always look at tall free BUDs as a source of pipe, even if you don't like the dish. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts