BUD questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

swamp donkey

Original poster
Feb 5, 2005
st.louis MO
hi everyone!!! im a newbie to BUD i was given either a 7.5 or 8.5 black mesh dish not sure wich as when i was taking it apart i never thought to measure it. it came with a toshiba "TRX-1820" receiver (the stuff that is written on the front is videocipher RS descrambler and videopal order recorder). now all i know about the big dishes is that everyone gives them away for free!! what i am wanting to know is can i use the receiver i got to get the free channels as i have directv for my other stuff. also i was reading another post that said you should not take the dish off the mount due to realingment problems. well i had to take mine all the way apart to fit in my vehicle to get it home so do yuhs know of anyone in the st.louis area that i could call to get it back inline for me? i will reassemble it myself

dfergie said:
you are about 20 years late for free stuff...as far as networks, premiums etc... the Vc 2 rocked the C-band world and began pay for programming on Sat....
if that is the case (wich i am NOT doubting) then what is all the FTA ive been reading about? :confused:

The receiver can be also used for FTA KU Analog satellites, still a few feeds up there, its a good way to start if you have to wait until you get your BUD assembled and installed.

Best satellites I find for KU Analog has been SBS6 and AMC-9

swamp donkey said:
if that is the case (wich i am NOT doubting) then what is all the FTA ive been reading about? :confused:
You still have a lot of stuff to watch though, backhaul feeds, syndicated shows etc... When I first got BUD, Scrambling was not even a dark cloud on the horizon yet...everything was in the clear. (did not mean to discourage you)

Maybe in the future we will find more FTA stations that will be ad supported just as it used to be. There is probably a market for this out there and I can see it expanding in the future. There are some things you can FTA that you cant get with a subscription.

dfergie said:
You still have a lot of stuff to watch though, backhaul feeds, syndicated shows etc... When I first got BUD, Scrambling was not even a dark cloud on the horizon yet...everything was in the clear. (did not mean to discourage you)

You must have had your BUD for quite a while! I got mine in 1992 and
there were alot of free channels, but HBO and the lot were scrambled.

I had my bud since 85 or so and everything up there was open :) and now 20 years later I can still find great programming free, with my 4d/dvb hooked up to my bud, I also sub by the year to the channels I want. Nothing beats the BUD.

raoul5788 said:
You must have had your BUD for quite a while! I got mine in 1992 and
there were alot of free channels, but HBO and the lot were scrambled.
Yup, 10' fiberglass with a hand crank and a 120 degree LNA , a Sat Tec Receiver that is only about the size of a car radio...had pencil marks on the actuator arm to mark the Satellites...I Got a standalone VC2 when Hbo scrambled...

Lots peoples think BUD is dead, and discarded the whole dish, they really don't know what they are doing. Some day, they will sorry what they did.
You will see a whole lots more on a C/KU band dish then just ku or c band dish, the problem is, no single receiver will hold all these channels.
Although I moved from my old house, that left my 7.5' dish behind, but I have another 7.5' dish is not assembly and a 10' dish as well, that I put in the storage, once get time and have the license issued, I will put it up at no time. This city has some law I still don't quite understand, thats why I had un-neccessary spend few hundred $$ more to moved my storage from the original location.
With BUD, you will get the most clearest picture if you done it right, the picture quality is much better then the digital picture now you see from DTV or Dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts