BUD rocking back and forth on pivot in wind normal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cracklincrotch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
My new big 10 footer (and the smaller one I had) all rocked back and forth in the wind (40mph and up) on it's pivot on the mount. Just to be clear I'm not talking about the pole flexing, and there wasn't any slack in the actuator. Both the old 7.5 and the 10 footer I just got put up will rock back and forth with the wind and of course that wind action is affecting reception.

Is this normal or does it indicate something is loose that shouldn't be loose?

actuator acme nut?

Yes, check out all your hardware on the polar mount & actuator. If its shaking to the east & west alot then maybe the actuator is sloppy(??). The acme nut or ball nut could be loose in the tube.
Or the acme threads are worn in the nut.

My new big 10 footer (and the smaller one I had) all rocked back and forth in the wind (40mph and up) on it's pivot on the mount. Just to be clear I'm not talking about the pole flexing, and there wasn't any slack in the actuator. Both the old 7.5 and the 10 footer I just got put up will rock back and forth with the wind and of course that wind action is affecting reception.

It seems normal. Mine rocks in high winds. Especially the old Paraclipse. I tightened down nuts and bolts until I stripped them. No matter how tightly I secured everything, the reflector still rocked in the wind.

My 12 foot does it to a point. Weak areas to check for play are pivot point nuts & bolts, see if they are snug. Also make sure there is as little play as possible in the actuator and gimble bracket. You have a big sail and most consumer mounts are under built and have slop.

Cracklincrotch, reception on my 12 Footer is next to impossible when the wind is gusting up to 50 to 60 MPH, because the Dish seems to flex a bit during high wind conditions. I have tightened all 4 Bolts on the Pole but that didn't help much. Its great when the wind is lower. Usually just watch TV on the small Bell Dish during these conditions. Also its recommended to keep the Dish pointed at your True South Satellite (the highest point in the sky) during High Wind conditions.

I'm sure the acme nut is fine as there was no slack in the actuator before or after I disassembled it to make sure that everything was a-ok after 15 years of sitting unmoved.

I do however suspect the it's the bracket where the actuator connects to the polar mount, that it's the bolt/nut is loose. When the ground dries out over the next couple of days I'll get out the ladder and check that.

Thanks guys.

I had similar issues with my Birdview hh motor, The worm and gear were fine, but the coupling coming off the motor was getting a bit worn, so the 1/4 inch pin was elongating the hole.

I found an aluminum tube that was 1/4 inch inside diameter so I glued that over the pin. Then I filled around it with silicone. The dish still has a little play, but a lot less.

These dishes are mostly old. They develop slop in them. I think you have to identify the issue and then be creative finding a solution. Of course I could have had an entirely new coupling machined out of solid stock, but the fix I did works, is invisible when you look at the dish, and was very quick and inexpensive.

It was windy again last night and continues this morning. So out I went and I tightened up the polar mount pivot bolts, elevation axis bolt, as well as the bolt connecting the actuator to the dish. I came on to those bolts with every bit of strength I have. No slop at all now.

Thanks for the ideas on where to check guys.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.