BUD!

Texan61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2023
East Texas forest
Found this and have to take everything including post and pay the owner $1. I am open to all suggestions for proper disassembly, relocating, and reassembly. Strings touching so that’s a good thing.

Attachments

• 867E0D67-B1BF-443A-86C5-216BFF85BDF2.jpeg
    867E0D67-B1BF-443A-86C5-216BFF85BDF2.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 0EDAB5A7-6F4B-4E80-9F4F-AE9D29328B2F.jpeg
    0EDAB5A7-6F4B-4E80-9F4F-AE9D29328B2F.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: FTA4PA
Found this and have to take everything including post and pay the owner $1. I am open to all suggestions for proper disassembly, relocating, and reassembly. Strings touching so that’s a good thing.
Hard pass would be your best bet.

You do NOT WANT an old fiberglass dish, especially for your first one, trust me. Petalized also, if you separate them, you likely will NEVER get it right after that due to age. There's no telling what size mesh is embedded in it, so it might not work well in today's satellite spectrum. It's a TON of work compared to a metal dish, mesh or not. You likely would need a 36" actuator, and due to size and weight, that's a ball-screw model. Which is around $300~ right now.

I wouldn't do it.

But, for only a dollar? Maybe the actuator it has still works. My old $1 Paraclipse mesh has holes that are too big to perform well on Ku but I also have an older 8 1/2 foot one piece fiberglass dish pointed at 99 and use it for WVGN and it works well. This depends on how much time you want to put into it. If I were to take it apart I would mark the panels to match them back up on reassembly plus mark the bottom so hopefully it goes back like it is now.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Exactly what clucas said - the dish is only $1 - and dishes are getting very hard to come by these days. Well worth the effort and minimal cost in checking it out for a buck. Perhaps even trying moving the dish to a satellite before disassembly and checking how the reception is with a good lnbf before just discounting the possibility. If it were me I would get it and try. ;)

P.S. If you go for it the best thing would be to get it home in one piece. Carefully load it and support it very well all the way around so the dish does not flex and tie it down good. Bring help with you as it won't be a one person job. ;)