Budget system/old equipment

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I am considering returning to DISH after a two year absence. I would need to be on an extreme budget. I have been looking at the VIP 612 DVR at Solid Signal. I definitely need a DVR and although I realize I would incur the $15/ mo fee, the 612 seems a better deal than a 211 which would require an external hard drive and $40 software download fee. Plus only one tuner would be limiting.
I still have the below linked 30 inch dish and LNB that I used about 10 years ago during my FTA years to receive some DISH channels that were free at the time such as NASA and a PBS station form Ohio.
1. Would I be able to simply run two lines from the LNB to the 612?
2. I realize that I would only get one satellite orbital. I would be getting the Welcome Pack for locals primarily. If any other channels in the Pack come in that would be just a plus. Can the receiver be activated from any orbital or should I aim at 119 first and then move it to receive my locals?
3. Can this receiver be aimed first before activation? I believe I have read that the 211 cannot.
4. Is there anything else that I have overlooked?
All input will be appreciated.
pview.asp
pview.asp

Has the DVR fee gone up? I may be grandfathered at $7/mo. I think you should acquire a 211-series receiver despite the one time $40 fee. The 612 is a good choice too (I lease two of these), but you will have a monthly DVR fee with any full-time DVR and that fee is in perpetuity.

On the dishes, I am fairly certain that you need a dish that can "see" two orbital locations at the same time. If you have two of those 30" dishes, you could use those as well, but then you would need two separate LNBs and an external switch. I am also pretty sure you can acquire a used Dish dish and LNB pretty cheaply if not for free.

Your biggest savings is going to be to not buy a receiver as you are mentioning and get it from DISH with a two year contract. I **think** you may pay only $10 for a DVR fee and you will get discounts off the packages. There is no monetary savings by getting your own receiver except in a rare instance or two, and with a new subscriber it will cost you more if you are not getting the two year deal. If you are planning on the two year deal why not get their receiver....

I agree the VIP211 is limiting in having only one tuner. I guess it comes down to your definition of an extreme budget. DISH will be the least expensive and possibly by alot if you want it to be and getting a VIP211 means no receiver fees but you still get DVR functions for a one time $40 cost and your hard drive.

After that though why not get a Hopper? Cost is going to be the same $10 or $15 DVR fee for all. I have VIP612's and like them but I am also at $7 for a DVR fee. If I was starting now it would be a Hopper (and for me probably a wireless Joey) though I would have to give up having backup. Your credit rating helps determine which hopper you can get for free and how much if anything you have to pay to get it but if it isn't outrageous why not get that with all the tuners and other functions over a two tuner VIP612 for the same monthly DVR fee?

I can not commit to a contract at this time and do not believe there is any "free" equipment without one. I only have one TV.

I understand that and there are many who do not want a contract for various reasons. Just wanted to be sure you realized that it will not be an extreme budget without it.
I guess it comes down to $15 a month DVR fee or no fee at all. Sounds to me like you should get the VIP211, pay the one time $40 fee (or not and have no DVR function) and just pay whatever package you get because that would be close to an extreme budget plan. And I recommend either the Welcome Package or the Flex Package.

Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat
IIRC from the new business rules the DVR fee for NEW customers is $10 for the first 24 months.

This is a new customer with a 722. Did the promo change recently? I haven't been keeping up with it.

upload_2017-5-28_11-27-34.png

This is a new customer with a 722. Did the promo change recently? I haven't been keeping up with it.

View attachment 126557

It's possible the $10 is for Hopper only. I remember when they first started this it said Hopper but I didn't know if that was just an example because most new would be getting a Hopper or if it literally meant only on a Hopper.

Their site has not changed since the begining each time I check.
"Hopper Savings $5x24 Month -$5/mo"

Last edited:
It's possible the $10 is for Hopper only. I remember when they first started this it said Hopper but I didn't know if that was just an example because most new would be getting a Hopper or if it literally meant only on a Hopper.

I know it has been on and off a few times, hard to keep up with. Here is an invoice from 3/21, maybe it has changed again recently.

upload_2017-5-28_12-56-40.png

Either 211 (211/211K not "Z") or a VIP 612 should work well for you. I cancelled my 612 about a year and a half ago and came back about 3 months ago with a 211K and external hard drive. I have the Welcome Pack and an Over the Air TV antenna. Because the OTA is built into the 211 & 211K I have 2 tuners and can record 1 satellite and 1 OTA channel at the same time.
I would strongly suggest looking for a DISH 500 or a version of the HD DISH 1000 to replace the 30" single satellite dish. Shop your neighborhood, I know of at least 1 abandoned home with a DISH 500 that could be free. You may find some people that have switched to Directv and still have a DISH 1000 they may sell or give you the dish. The Winegard I think used a 1 5/8th inch mast so you could leave the base on the roof of the donor preventing leaks.

Ok, done some digging. The dvr discount went back into effect 4/27 and only applies to the hopper.

I know it has been on and off a few times, hard to keep up with. Here is an invoice from 3/21, maybe it has changed again recently.

View attachment 126558

I of course would not know if there was a short lapse for some reason but every time I check when someone asks (before I answer) I have seen the $5 DVR reduction exactly as I posted it. Could have been gone for a few weeks.

Ok, done some digging. The dvr discount went back into effect 4/27 and only applies to the hopper.

I just checked and was told that the 'DVR Fee' for new customers is $10 a month for 24 months. That's for any DVR receiver including Hoppers.

And on 6/6 the Joey fee goes down to $5 each for 24 months for new customers.

Reactions: TheKrell
I just checked and was told that the 'DVR Fee' for new customers is $10 a month for 24 months. That's for any DVR receiver including Hoppers.

And on 6/6 the Joey fee goes down to $5 each for 24 months for new customers.

Dish should update the portal to reflect that.

upload_2017-5-28_15-24-46.png

To the OP, you mention you want Dish mainly for locals. Are you in a bad area for OTA reception? I was just wondering, if you could find a used TiVo OTA only, it might be a better option. If you can get OTA, you'll likely get some sub channels too and have more than the networks to pick from.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)