Buffering on 622?

YuriLuzr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Was wondering if both tuners continue to buffer their feeds to the HDD when switching between tuners. Say I'm on tuner 1, does tuner 2 continue to buffer, so that when I switch over to tuner 2 I might be able to back up feed and watch what was going on that channel while I wasn't there? The maybe switch back to tuner 1 and back that one up?

Or if I pause the stream on tuner 1, switch to tuner 2 and watch that tuner for a bit, then pause, switch back to tuner 1 and pick up where I paused it?

I believe it works only if you're saving/recording on the 2 channels. Otherwise the live buffer is only for the channel displayed

BFG said:
I believe it works only if you're saving/recording on the 2 channels. Otherwise the live buffer is only for the channel displayed
Then that's a change from the 942 I hadn't heard about.

With the 942 you can use the swap between tuners and although the channel reverts to "live", you can back it up the capacity of the buffer which is up to 1 hour. So you effectivly get an hour on each tuner.

Well then I think you'd be right and no more about since you have the 942. I don't have either and was just trying to give best guess until someone with one chimed in, thanks walt :)

waltinvt said:
Then that's a change from the 942 I hadn't heard about.

With the 942 you can use the swap between tuners and although the channel reverts to "live", you can back it up the capacity of the buffer which is up to 1 hour. So you effectivly get an hour on each tuner.

I should have said you can buffer an hour on each of any 2 tuners out of the three.

Thanks for the info Walt.

Dfergie, be nice if you can try out a quick test by switching between the tuners and seeing if you can rewind the buffer. Thanks.

waltinvt said:

It works exactly the same on the 622. Why, when you pause, it reverts to live when you swap, is beyond me. But at least you could still back up.

DVDDAD said:
It works exactly the same on the 622. Why, when you pause, it reverts to live when you swap, is beyond me. But at least you could still back up.

Beyond me too. I mean unless there's some technical reason I'm not aware of that makes it cost prohibitive, it sort of defeats the whole purpose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)