Buh Bye Charlie, Hello DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Swoop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2005
So after 10 years as a DishNet sub I made the switch to DirecTV. Had 3 HR24s installed today with Whole Home DVR and the internet connection kit. So far so good although it's only been 4 hours. Tech was very very professional and did a superb job with the install, especially considering it was Friday, late afternoon install, (tech arrived at 4:15), and this was supposed to be his day off. I felt like he handled my install as good as he would have for the President of DirecTV.

Hardest part about this switch will be learning where the channels are. Easiest part will be calling DishNet to cancel.

When we order a PPV movie what is the best way to order, through our account online or through the receiver with the remote?

Guess that's all for now.

P.S. Anyone need some ViP722's ;)

You should tuck those 722 in your closet so you can watch dvr recordings.Your gonna need them every time a cloud passes overhead with directv's touchy ka hd satellite signals ?

I generally order them using the remote, although we dont watch PPV that often. D* does have a much larger PPV selection (and VOD selection) than E* does if that is something you are interested in.

Welcome to the D* side of the forum, and if you need any help, feel free to ask.

Well hello Troll 1 and Troll 2.. Sorry to hear that the ever-increasing traffic trip-trapping over your bridge between D* and E* is keeping you up at night.. :rolleyes:

It is best to order PPV on the web, because it authorizes all of your receivers. Ordering with the remote only authorizes the receiver you ordered on.

welcome swoop :) to the D* family

Disregard the two trolls above...If they gave "big" free D* he'd still bitch about it.

Hope you have fun with it and dont hesitate to ask questions. We're here to help (well most of us) ;)

Well hello Troll 1 and Troll 2.. Sorry to hear that the ever-increasing traffic trip-trapping over your bridge between D* and E* is keeping you up at night.. :rolleyes:

It is best to order PPV on the web, because it authorizes all of your receivers. Ordering with the remote only authorizes the receiver you ordered on.

Ahhh, good point, forgot about that.

You should tuck those 722 in your closet so you can watch dvr recordings.Your gonna need them every time a cloud passes overhead with directv's touchy ka hd satellite signals ?

You could also watch off of the D* DVR if the sat signal goes out.

Yeah I actually have direct and dish.I am an installer for both as well.I help answer a lot of tech questions.

Don't know what's up with all these derogatory comments what's up with that

I just made the jump to light speed too! After being with Dish for 4 years I couldn't resist the more for less deal Direct was offering. The whole house thing wasn't really a selling point as I was able to network my 622 and back-feed all TV's using only 1 receiver. The upside being all of my Tv's were networked the downside was that only the direct connected TV was fed Hi Def. The Dish box also has an over the air antenna connection allowing more recording flexibility. The 622 is allot bigger and definitely gets hotter and noisier as the cooling fan kicks in. I like Dish's web programming and think it's better than Direct's allowing you to review and delete recorded shows. Directv on demand and built in apps kick ass and I really like those. News and Sports Mix channels are sweet as is Directv2PC. To my eye picture quality is a wash although OTA is best. If I were to compare Dish vs Direct I would compare Direct to Apple and Dish to PC. Direct is a simple no fuss interface which just does what you want. Dish is more customizable and to some extent more hackable but not as simple to operate. I'm happy I've made the switch and as soon as I've watched all of my Dish DVR programing I will bid Charlie and the gang adieu.

Yeah I actually have direct and dish.I am an installer for both as well.I help answer a lot of tech questions.

That sort of thing could be avoided easily. However some users feel a need to post I just switched from .. to .. instead of just asking the question.

So in effect they invite comments since both satellite services seem to have their fans. Both services have their good and bad points.
DirecTV = more sports for sports fans.
Dishnetwork = more movie channels and National HD..
Both services do a heck of a job managing all the channels they provide.

Your comment about Directv losing signal because a cloud passes over. What do you expect with an attitude like that? I have had Directv for nearly ten years. I'd guess I have lost service 20 times in those ten years for a total of 5 hours.

We both know directv ka band is very weak and it takes time and skill to get a good signal on a ka/ku

Is Direc's KA sig weaker than the Dish KA? Just curious about the technical aspects of this. I'm assuming that both Direc and Dish use the KA bands for their sig's.

I've been with DirecTV since '99 and have experienced very few rain fade issues but I also was fortunate to have a good installer when he installed my SL5.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)