Building a new home

ScooterS

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 14, 2003
Mrs ScooterS and I are fortunate enough to be building a new home. We will be moving in a few months.

We've had Dish service for about 10 years and now have a "traditional" system with leased equipment.

We want to "go Hopper" when we move. I spec'd the home with 3 RG6 (3 GHz) runs to the dish location back to my structured wiring panel.
I then have RG6 going to several rooms in the house. I also have hardwired Internet (CAT5) to the Hopper location.

I am planning for 3 active HD TVs. I'd like more than 3 tuners, so I'm looking at 2 hoppers and 1 Joey.

If that turns out to be overkill for our needs, do I have to keep all 3 devices active for a commitment period, or can I return a Joey, if I decide I don't need it in a few months?

Sooooo, what is the best way to get there? How do I keep it simple, but get a good deal?

Do I go in as an existing customer moving or a sign up as a new customer (using my wife's ID)?

Am I going to pay an upfront equipment cost??

Do I play "800 Number" Roulette or can I work with a DIRT team member directly on the site?

I will probably have a lot of stuff installed at home at the same time. Do I need to have my Internet active before Dish arrives??

What are the chances that the installer will show-up on time with the right stuff?

Thanks for 10 years of good information and GREAT friends on SatGuys!

'

I would add MORE than 3 cables from the dish, as you never know what the future holds. That way you have a spare or two if one goes bad somehow. It saves you time and money from somebody having to fish new ones, which can be a PITA. I do FTA satellite, and believe me, you can never have too many spare coaxs going to your dish hub. Be aware that Dish requires a specific brand of cable to pass their quality check. Not so much if you are using a Dish contractor. Check up front with them before pulling the wrong cables.

When your Dish installer telephones you, lay out everything you want and expect to him so he's aware. Don't be afraid to tip WELL, if you feel he's done a good job. Nothing motivates better (and for future service) then some extra money for a job well done.

Last edited:
Start with 2 HWS and 2 Joeys. Then immediately turn in a Joey. No commitment period for that sort of thing.

Start with DIRT. They'll do it right and they can tell you what deals you're eligible for.

Yes, having active Internet at install will probably prevent later problems.

Thanks! Actually 5 cables come with the pre-wire package. Sooooo, I think that I'm covered.

I should be able to pull the cable through the attic myself or have the installer do it. I've put my structured wiring box in a location that is accessible from the attic (it is in a closet with its back to the garage attic). However, I decided to go ahead with the pre-cable package just to keep from having to wade through snowdrifts of insulation in the attic...... and maybe crack some plaster after we get into the house.

Still looking for other opinions. Do I transfer my existing account, or start a new one at the new address?

Thanks! Actually 5 cables come with the pre-wire package. Sooooo, I think that I'm covered.

I should be able to pull the cable through the attic myself or have the installer do it. I've put my structured wiring box in a location that is accessible from the attic (it is in a closet with its back to the garage attic). However, I decided to go ahead with the pre-cable package just to keep from having to wade through snowdrifts of insulation in the attic...... and maybe crack some plaster after we get into the house.

Still looking for other opinions. Do I transfer my existing account, or start a new one at the new address?
You probably could start a new account, but with Dish Mover, and current free upgrades, what's the point? You would have to return all you old equipment, instead of trading it out with a new install.

I would add MORE than 3 cables from the dish, as you never know what the future holds. That way you have a spare or two if one goes bad somehow. It saves you time and money from somebody having to fish new ones, which can be a PITA. I do FTA satellite, and believe me, you can never have too many spare coaxs going to your dish hub. Be aware that Dish requires a specific brand of cable to pass their quality check. Not so much if you are using a Dish contractor. Check up front with them before pulling the wrong cables.

When your Dish installer telephones you, lay out everything you want and expect to him so he's aware. Don't be afraid to tip WELL, if you feel he's done a good job. Nothing motivates better (and for future service) then some extra money for a job well done.
On prewired homes Dish's Approved list matters not as long as the cable is rg-g at least 60% aluminum braid and sweep tested to 3ghz..
A tech cannot walk away just because the brand of the cable the homeowner used is not on Dish's ever changing 'approved list'...
The ultimate decision goes to the guy who's name appears on the deed.
For example, I a tech came here and he told me the cable I have is fine but unapproved, I would simply tell him he has my authorization to use the existing.
When I was a tech, this is how I got to use the existing cable. Good thing as well. There are many homes here built on concrete slabs that but for the existing cabling, could not be installed without a good deal of custom( cutting drywall ,etc) work.

Companies lime Honeywell and Coleman make cable that is 3ghz rated, but not on the approved list. Techs will still use them anyways, since they are rated high enough they will not cause problems with the system.

3GHZ rated RG6 all around, and ask the tech for a Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) to bridge Internet to MoCA.

I have a 2H/1J setup like this in my new place and it works really well.

The builder did a pre-wire with Cat-5e to each of the bedrooms and the family room, and RG-6/3Ghz to the same places to the On-Q box.

I had them add the 3 cables to the roof for the satellite. The installer was great, and did what I wanted (HIC, and the Duo-Node).

You'll like the 2H/1J setup, and in the normal case you can watch recordings from EITHER hopper, as well as the Joey no matter which Hopper they are on.

If you'd like to see my setup since you are here in AUS, feel free to ping me.
?

Thanks Larry!

I assumed that one hopper connected directly to the Cat 5 and that fed the entire system. You're telling me that I needed a HIC for the connection, correct?

It sounds like I've got the wiring set-up just right.

I think the HIC is a better option, as it bridges the Cat5e to MoCA (Cable)
and makes it available that way
and no Ethernet needed for the Hoppers

My opinion, so I have all the network stuff (Cable Modem, WiFi router, HIC, and a small ethernet switch, Duo-Node) in my closet, and the Hoppers/Joey are just on the cable. I have ethernet at the tv's for the SmartTV's and BD players, etc.

?Works well for me.

You don't actually need a HIC if you have ethernet wired to one of the hoppers. Just turn on bridging on whichever hopper is connected to ethernet and it will provide internet to the rest of the hoppers and joeys over moca. Connecting this way does the same thing as a HIC. I have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys all connected to broadband and working perfectly with just one hopper plugged into the router.

The HIC was more useful when these systems first came out before bridging was an option and each device had to have its own ethernet connection for all broadband features to work correctly. That isn't the case anymore. Now the main reason to use a HIC is if you have an ethernet connection close to a Joey but not one of your hoppers.

What I did was just run one ethernet cable to each entertainment center. Only one hopper needs a connection but all the TVs have other broadband devices attached to them. I put 8 port gigabit switches in the entertainment centers too so all the consoles, streaming devices, etc... would have an ethernet connection available without having to run multiple ethernet cables from the router. I would just wire one ethernet cable in just about every room and you can always expand with switches in those rooms later.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I'm sure it does and it would work for the OP too. It just isn't necessary if you have ethernet wired to one of the hoppers. You just turn on bridging in the network settings of the hopper that has the ethernet connection and it feeds the rest of the system just fine. I have been using it that way for a long time without any problems.

Thanks for all of the input! I'll talk to the installer about the HIC. Fortunately, I have CAT5 run to the primary TV where a Hopper will be located. Looks like I'm covered both ways!

What I did was just run one ethernet cable to each entertainment center. Only one hopper needs a connection but all the TVs have other broadband devices attached to them. I put 8 port gigabit switches in the entertainment centers too so all the consoles, streaming devices, etc... would have an ethernet connection available without having to run multiple ethernet cables from the router. I would just wire one ethernet cable in just about every room and you can always expand with switches in those rooms later.

Sounds like you have a lot more media devices than me... I need to expand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)