Building new house

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is the same pre-fab people, HORROR stories! I would search out a quality builder where you can examine/inspect/aprove or deny materials used: http://www.nahb.org/ You will find better lists searching the Memphis, TN, Desoto County or Jackson, MS areas. I should have said that one's planned budget has the ultimate impact on who you can go with.

Last edited:
I first hand have done some installs in Jim Walter homes and I have not seen any bad things about them. They seem to be well supported under the house and in the attic. One of the many things that I hear bad is that some of the plumbing and electrical does not work right or that the roof leaks or some type of substance like that.

One of the things is they will let you do is get a house a certain level of compleation so you can do some the work yourself and I wonder how much of a factor that plays into the bad things I have heard.

http://www.jimwalterhomes.com/FindaNewHome/on_your_lot.html#

Here is a model of some of their designs. My wife and I are looking at the Cameron which is 4 bedroom 2 bath and almost 1900sq. We can have this house built for less than $100,000 but we will have to do some of the work ourself which we plan to do anyway.

http://www.jimwalterhomes.com/FindaNewHome/red_river_series.html

If anyone lives in Texas here is some of their homes there.

I have heard some horror stories in the older days "10 years+" with their quality but I think they got sued and had to straighted there act.

Well today we finalized it. We decided to go with the attached house for 120,000.

Attachments

• lennox_b.jpg
    lennox_b.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 131
  • lennox_fp.gif
    lennox_fp.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 159
TATE,

84 lumber has the exact same program, check them out also.

do you want some good advice?? get a great general contractor who has been around, and has references he is willing to give you , then go talk to the code enforcement people for violations and complaints.

one more thing , get a floor plan that has the master B/R on its own side of the house:devil: :eek: :hungry:

Last edited:
I check into this for about 2 months before I made a solid decision.

Jim Walter seems to have picked up their game in the last 5 to 10 years cause they "the office here in Tupelo" has not had a complaint about any structure or quality problem in the last 9 years, just basic problems about what people thought they were getting but later found out not so. An example is a couple thought they would have more cabinets than they thought is one story our rep told us.

They use local contractors and suppliers to do their jobs. Basically they are just a sales center for the homes that has in house financing options.

:D as for the MB on the other side of the house. This morning my son woke up before my wife and I "he just turned 2" and used a foot stool to get a bottle of Purell off the counter and procceded to pump it all onto the floor, put the EMPTY bottle back on the counter and smeared the Purell all on the floor. So my wife wants to be close so he cannot sneak around the house. We are getting a whirlpool tub and a stand in shower so the rest will not be a problem. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)