Building your own "superdish"

Stargazer said:
Why would they use spotbeams for a national internet service, when the current use for spotbeams is used to distribute locals to certain regions of the country? Would using spotbeams for internet access help in the same way that it does right now for using spotbeams for locals?

Because, unlike TV, Internet service is NOT fundamentally a broadcast service. Every user is likely to be doing different things: requesting different webpages, sending and receiving their own email, etc.

By using spotbeams, they can effectively divide up the service area into smaller separate regions. While each region may get less total bandwidth, they are also sharing it amongst fewer users. So an individual user's actual share of the available bandwidth is higher.

Stargazer said:
Why would they use spotbeams for a national internet service, when the current use for spotbeams is used to distribute locals to certain regions of the country? Would using spotbeams for internet access help in the same way that it does right now for using spotbeams for locals?

please read

http://www.raytheon.com/products/smds/ref_docs/broadband_2001.pdf

So basically if there are going to be more users under another spotbeam they can funnel more space for those users in that area, am I right?

Also for those areas that have no high speed internet access and there is a community wanting that, can someone use satellite broadband to distribute the high speed access among a trailerpark, community, etc. by coax and save by having multiple users on the same system?

:D :D Woohoo! My 40x43" dish came in (channel master 1 meter) today!!!! It has some really old .8 ku lnb on it, but i tried it anyways. Bingo it worked for 105. I get between 70-75 signal strength from my 6000 on the odd transponders. I am waiting for my new lnb to come in to test the even ones, since the one that came with it is not switched. I also played around with adding dish lnbs next to the ku lnb, and was about to get:

~70 on 105deg
~110 on 110deg
~75 on 119deg

I dont have my second fss lnb yet to try and nab the 121 sat as well. Right now I am trying different switch combos to see if i can get them all at once. Will post results later. I will also try and get some pictures up as well.

(this is a lot of work just to get the stupid HD PPV chan, but i missed LOTR2 when it was on 61.5!!! Can I use the 105 hd ppv chan, or have they not turned it on yet??)
:D

Ok switch test just finished. I checked the "Superdish/129" box on the test, and it went through 50 tests. I have my dish500 w/ legacy twin connected to port 1 of a sw21. I have my 1 meter ku lnb hooked to port 2 of the sw21. My 6000 ird found all 3 sats!! Of course the even transponders dont work yet on my 105 but hopefully that will be fixed next week.

Given thread title, would there be a way to mod a Gilat sat dish with a new LNB for 105?

HokieEngineer-guest said:
:D :D Woohoo! My 40x43" dish came in (channel master 1 meter) today!!!! It has some really old .8 ku lnb on it, but i tried it anyways. Bingo it worked for 105. I get between 70-75 signal strength from my 6000 on the odd transponders. I am waiting for my new lnb to come in to test the even ones, since the one that came with it is not switched.

Which switched FSS LNBF did you order? I have the Eagle/Aspen 270 (a dual output LNBF) that I'm going to put on my Unity Motion dish and connect the two feeds to the 3A and 3B (after removing the 61.5 feeds) ports of my SW64. I'm hoping this will work, but I'm not going to do it until the 105 channels are no longer hidden.

Rudolpht: With slight modifications to the LNB mount you could get it working fairly easy I would think. The 110 lnb would have to move closer to the large ku lnb on that dish, because that dish is setup for a spacing of 110 - 101 = 9 degrees. You need a spacing for 110 - 105 = 5 degrees. The spacing between the 110 and 119 lnb should remain the same.

JerryG: I ordered some generic .6 ku lnb. I am crossing my fingers that it is switched. It said it was for fta and 4dtv, so I'm assuming it switches polarity. If not I'll bite the bullet and buy the eagle aspen lnb.

HokieEngineer said:
JerryG: I ordered some generic .6 ku lnb. I am crossing my fingers that it is switched. It said it was for fta and 4dtv, so I'm assuming it switches polarity. If not I'll bite the bullet and buy the eagle aspen lnb.

All of my Pansat generic .6 dB single Ku FSS LNBF's switch polarity on 14/18 voltage, so you should be ok. I'll have to see if I can get a hold of a legacy twin LNBF to try your switching. Maybe I can get one cheap on eBay. The one I currently have is pointed at BEV satellites and I don't want to move it, but I do have a spare DISH 500 dish with a dead DP twin on it and a spare pole already mounted on the roof for Superdish.

--- WCS

I have a 721 with a DP twin lnbf on the Dish500. Since it is DP and it will not revert back to legacy (unless they fixed this in the last software release) will it not work when I connect up a dish at 105 to the 721 since it is not a DP lnbf? In other words can one not mix the DP lnbfs with legacy ones?

HokieEngineer said:
Rudolpht With slight modifications to the LNB mount you could get it working fairly easy I would think. The 110 lnb would have to move closer to the large ku lnb on that dish, because that dish is setup for a spacing of 110 - 101 = 9 degrees. You need a spacing for 110 - 105 = 5 degrees. The spacing between the 110 and 119 lnb should remain the same.

That sounds great.

I'll order up the Aspen. Jerry, where did you grab yours. Will try local Worcester store.

One more question, as I have 6 lines run to the dish now (2 were for sat internet feed & receiver -disconnected). I assume I'll need a to replace switch 64 with a DishPro switch and only have 3 lines in?

rudolpht said:
I'll order up the Aspen. Jerry, where did you grab yours. Will try local Worcester store.

One more question, as I have 6 lines run to the dish now (2 were for sat internet feed & receiver -disconnected). I assume I'll need a to replace switch 64 with a DishPro switch and only have 3 lines in?

I got the Eagle/Aspen P270KU from a company called "DF Countryman" at 612 724-4400. I was referred to them by ProBrand, the company that makes the Eagle/Aspen LNBs.

Actually, I think that you'll have to be consistent with regard to legacy vs DishPro. The 270 LNB is a switched (not bandstacked) LNB, so you'll want to use a SW64 with legacy Dish DBS LNBs. I've got a dual Dish 500 with 4 feeds going into the SW64. I'll add the two feeds from the 270 to ports 3A and 3B of the SW64.

Anybody located a source for bandstacked Ku LNBs and bandstacked DBS LNBs?

How about DP+ 3:4 or 4:4 compatible switches? Does anyboby manufacture these?

Jerry G said:
Actually, I think that you'll have to be consistent with regard to legacy vs DishPro. The 270 LNB is a switched (not bandstacked) LNB, so you'll want to use a SW64 with legacy Dish DBS LNBs. I've got a dual Dish 500 with 4 feeds going into the SW64. I'll add the two feeds from the 270 to ports 3A and 3B of the SW64.

Thanks Jerry. I guess I'll have to swap out 61.5 and try the new LNB. I hate to be on the bleeding edge if someone else has tried to do a Starband mod. I guess I'll need to do some math to figure out placement of the LNB because I could be trial and errioring for ever....

fv3 said:
Anybody located a source for bandstacked Ku LNBs and bandstacked DBS LNBs?

The only bandstacked Ku LNB I could find is this one:

http://global-cm.net/stackedSCLNBF.html

I have no idea if it will work with the DishPro technology. I also note that it goes to 2025 MHz instead of 2150. I don't know if that's a problem.

There are a few here; http://www.eagleaspen.com/product3.htm

The last one is a Stacked FSS

Anonymous said:
Jerry G, is that a FSS LNBF though?

Not totally sure. It does mention Ku band. Apparently it's related to the Star Choice LNB, but I'm not familiar with Star Choice.

Anonymous said:
Jerry G, is that a FSS LNBF though?

Jerry G said:
Not totally sure. It does mention Ku band. Apparently it's related to the Star Choice LNB, but I'm not familiar with Star Choice.

I have one of these LNBFs from Global Communications. It's a Ku FSS bandstacked LNBF for use with Canada's Star Choice. I'd put it on my 105 dish and try it with a DP 34 switch but it has a 54 mm diameter rather than 40 mm, so won't fit in the holder. In order to try it I'd have to fabricate a holder for it or apply liberal quantities of duct tape, or something. If legacy equipment works for now and superdishes will be free, it's almost not worth the effort. It might be worth the effort to get 121 without another superdish, though.

--- WCS

Could be incompatible last one ?
It works for 105/121 sats band 11.7-12.2 GHz, but shift horizontal transponders into 1525-2025 MHz range. I don't know a spec of dishpro range for H/V polarization.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)