Bundling Tipping point has been reached?

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
In light of what appears to be DISH taking a hard stand against WGN being included in the Tribune locals contract as an overvalued channel DISH does not want to be forced to carry, and their past negotiations regarding that issue, this is interesting... Finally someone is coming around to maybe changing things. NBC.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/96586/burkes-right-there-are-too-many-channels

Along with DISH making a move closer to A La Carte I think the tipping point has just been reached. Lets hope. :)

Not really, Dish completely caved on Viacom bundling, in fact they are adding even more of those MTV channels.

You're not staying up with the times though :). They aren't in the Flex pack very likely one of the big things DISH was after. So it could be Viacom caved on insisting they be in it.

You're not staying up with the times though :). They aren't in the Flex pack very likely one of the big things DISH was after. So it could be Viacom caved on insisting they be in it.

That's the only package the MTV Suite is in. It doesn't have all of the Viacom channels, but does have the new ones.

I didn't see them when I looked, they are indeed there. Have to admit when I am wrong.... :oldfrown Maybe I had it turned around - DISH would carry them at the right price so they could be counted as channels in the Flex package.

I didn't see them when I looked, they are indeed there. Have to admit when I am wrong.... :oldfrown Maybe I had it turned around - DISH would carry them at the right price so they could be counted as channels in the Flex package.

To tell you the truth, if I hadn't been looking for where it would show up (The MTV Suite) I would have looked over them too. I can't believe they're not also in a higher tier. They are doing some f#*ked up stuff with these add on packages.

From a customer service stand point, the less packages the easier the service is to sell.

It would be a royal pain in the butt if we had a la carte and had to go through 50 or so different packages

The only reason why dish is going to the flex type packages is to try to go after the cord cutters who wouldn't subscribe to a larger package anyways.

Reactions: Tampa8
From a customer service stand point, the less packages the easier the service is to sell.

It would be a royal pain in the butt if we had a la carte and had to go through 50 or so different packages

The only reason why dish is going to the flex type packages is to try to go after the cord cutters who wouldn't subscribe to a larger package anyways.
IMO it's a way to get a customer to spend more and get less.
But the customer thinks he's paying less, But he's also getting less.
And I'm sure what sounds cheap now, will be a different story come next price increase.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Rash assumption on your part. I've talked to a few friend locally on Dish about this and after explaining what it is and can or cannot offer them, they seem to understand it. A couple are like me and found that the Flex+Locals+National Sports fit the bill very nicely and saved them $10/month. Some others wanted more and found that Flex plus more than 2 other packs isn't a good deal for them so they didn't change.

The Flex Pack idea is a great idea for some and not so for others. And that statement applies to every damned package offered by every cable/sat provider!

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

I agree, it would be more work for dealers.

And good on Dish for trying to find something that will work to aid in adding and keeping subscribers. May not work, but that doesn't change that fact at all.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

IMO it's a way to get a customer to spend more and get less.
But the customer thinks he's paying less, But he's also getting less.
And I'm sure what sounds cheap now, will be a different story come next price increase.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

They are not spending more unless they shouldn't be getting the Flex package to begin with.
You (not meaning literally you) can't complain about Top package prices then complain about A La carte costing more in the end. Yes, the customer is paying less and getting less. What a concept. How many people here have posted when there is A La Carte the cost is higher - meaning you may pay less but you will get less for your money. If you want it all you get the Top packages and pay less per channel because you are "buying" more. No real sacrifices involved.
Want to pay less because you don't want Sports, or don't want the News etc... A La Carte/Flex package is the answer. Combine that with the VIP receivers and you can be paying considerably less than possible before. But the nice thing is even if you have the Hopper the Flex pack offers a way to reduce your bill without losing the main Cable channels - many that were only available in the Top 200. Before if you had the Top 200 you had to sacrifice several main channels - channels that do get watched by going down to the Top 120+.
Where DISH has overcome a roadblock is the channels included in the base Flex package. I don't think you can get that list of channels - not the number of channels the actual wanted list of channels for $29.99/$34.99 anywhere. That's when many here have started to say I can do without this or that because the main channels I want are all there. Then if you have one or two other interests you can add those packs and still be paying less. If that doesn't seem like a plausible way to save money and still get close to what you want with less sacrifice than before then you (again not literally you) are looking for free or have an unrealistic view.

How long have people clamored for this? How many posts about not wanting to pay for expensive sports because they don't watch the RSN's, ESPN etc etc. It starts to sound like had any other provider done the Flex pack those saying it is just DISH trying to dupe us would be here posting why isn't DISH doing this...

They are not spending more unless they shouldn't be getting the Flex package to begin with.
You (not meaning literally you) can't complain about Top package prices then complain about A La carte costing more in the end. Yes, the customer is paying less and getting less. What a concept. How many people here have posted when there is A La Carte the cost is higher - meaning you may pay less but you will get less for your money. If you want it all you get the Top packages and pay less per channel because you are "buying" more. No real sacrifices involved.
Want to pay less because you don't want Sports, or don't want the News etc... A La Carte/Flex package is the answer. Combine that with the VIP receivers and you can be paying considerably less than possible before. But the nice thing is even if you have the Hopper the Flex pack offers a way to reduce your bill without losing the main Cable channels - many that were only available in the Top 200.
Where DISH has overcome a roadblock is the channels included in the base Flex package. I don't think you can get that list of channels - not the number of channels the actual wanted list of channels for $29.99/$34.99 anywhere. That's when many here have started to say I can do without this or that because the main channels I want are all there. Then if you have one or two other interests you can add those packs and still be paying less. If that doesn't seem like a plausible way to save money and still get close to what you want with less sacrifice than before then you (again not literally you) are looking for free or have an unrealistic view.

How long have people clamored for this? How many posts about not wanting to pay for expensive sports because they don't watch the RSN's, ESPN etc etc. It starts to sound like had any other provider done the Flex pack those saying it is just DISH trying to dupe us would be here posting why isn't DISH doing this...
When dish Dish ever pay for expensive sports?
It's just another excuse.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

You really are a glass half-empty type, huh? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So of us don't just buy everything dish does as in a good faith method.

It's anther tactic to maximize profit.
And that's fine.
IMO I don't think it's any better of a deal then the other entry level packages options.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

That's what you got out of that post? Seriously?
No what I got out of it, is the same old concept as before.
You are paying $34 for channels that are worth $20.
Instead of paying $80 for channels IMO are worth $80.
That's what I see and gathered from your post.

Just like a see a $7 dvr that's worth $7, Just the same as I see a $15 DVR being worth $20 with the ability to add addtions rooms with full functionality and 16 tuners to share at $7 a pop instead of $7-17 depending on which other compromise you have to put up with Vips.

IMO not worth the savings, Just like the Flex pack, Huge compromises to get a 1/8 of the channels, only a 40-50% savings over TOP 250.

Price that Flex pack at $19.99 and then maybe it will sound more impressive.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Even though as the emails to me say some posts are now just be contrary, I'll give correlation.

So I used to buy a large package of nuts and bolts of many different sizes. It cost alot but to get the ones I wanted I had to get the larger sizes and smaller sizes that I almost never needed.

Then I see they now have a package of nuts and bolts that cost much less but has just about every size I but not the largest and smallest I need for much less. Of course I buy it. The per piece price is higher but I am saving alot over spending more for nuts and bolts I almost never use.
Ok, so now I find there is one size that isn't in the package but that I do need, but I can buy a package of just that size and still be paying much less than the whole big package.
That's the Flex package.

LOL! You are a hoot to read!

I could sub to T120, T200, T250 and STILL WATCH the same channels I watch in the Flex Pack and not a single one of those in the other packs. Of course I'd be getting a per channel cost much lower, but who cares? I'm more concerned about what the check size will be at the end of the month. You of course are welcome to watch 5 channels and pay for 250, Charlie will love you for it, I'll think you're being blinded by the total channel count. IMO, I get the effective channels for much less than you are paying to have all those channels you don't watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No what I got out of it, is the same old concept as before.
You are paying $34 for channels that are worth $20.
Instead of paying $80 for channels IMO are worth $80.
That's what I see and gathered from your post.

Just like a see a $7 dvr that's worth $7, Just the same as I see a $15 DVR being worth $20 with the ability to add addtions rooms with full functionality and 16 tuners to share at $7 a pop instead of $7-17 depending on which other compromise you have to put up with Vips.

IMO not worth the savings, Just like the Flex pack, Huge compromises to get a 1/8 of the channels, only a 40-50% savings over TOP 250.

Price that Flex pack at $19.99 and then maybe it will sound more impressive.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

We all get it -you want the price to be less than it costs DISH to provide service. In my opinion you are unrealistic to want DISH service, online would be a much better choice for you. No DVR to worry about, just buy the service(s) you want and go to where the program is you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts