Burning recorded programs to DVD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And it would have to be "real-time" recording. The D* boxes don't have a file transfer option that would be available. So set up your connections, press Record/Pause on the DVD-R, press Play on the DVR, unpause the DVD-R, and wait until it is over....Sorry, no shortcuts :(

What if I hook up my notebook through an ADS/Tech Dvd express just like it says to hook up a vcr and then record from my play list?

What if I hook up my notebook through an ADS/Tech Dvd express just like it says to hook up a vcr and then record from my play list?

Just like recording to VCR (following provided instructions) is the same as what I just mentioned. Transferring from digital (DVR) to analog (VCR) is still a real-time process. Still no shortcuts.

I am sure some hacker out there has a way to extract the raw data from the HDD in the DVR, but it will not be readable in your DVD player.

Sorry... :no

I am sure some hacker out there has a way to extract the raw data from the HDD in the DVR, but it will not be readable in your DVD player. Sorry... :no

They can't be far off IMHO... The main thing ReplayTV always had over the others was a fully hot ethernet port from day one. It was not long until DVArchive was out to perform the exact task you described above; Offload the raw recording to a PC then edit out commercials and archive/burn to a DVD - it really is that easy. It is the exact reason I still have & use all 3 of my ReplayTVs over any other DVR. Now when will the HR20's ethernet port team up with software like DVArchive or similar? It can only be a matter of time.

Never had ReplayTV, so I was unaware of that tidbit. :hatsoff:
Now that the MediaShare option is in place, even though it is designed for only one-way communications, the "door" is open enough for someone out there (definitely not me...only smart enough to follow the instructions, not make them) to figure a way into the HDD and decode the format of the drive. Aren't these things designed on a Unix/Linux structure? Shouldn't be too terribly hard to break the code...illegal, but not impossible.

Never had ReplayTV, so I was unaware of that tidbit. :hatsoff:
Now that the MediaShare option is in place, even though it is designed for only one-way communications, the "door" is open enough for someone out there (definitely not me...only smart enough to follow the instructions, not make them) to figure a way into the HDD and decode the format of the drive. Aren't these things designed on a Unix/Linux structure? Shouldn't be too terribly hard to break the code...illegal, but not impossible.

Here is what DVRachive looks like: DVArchive - Networked ReplayTV for your PC

A great ReplayTV forum as well: Planet Replay :: Index

Dfergie also jams out with ReplayTV

That's pretty slick...Based on how that setup looks,
  1. I would imagine that some of the content providers would be slightly miffed that their shows are so easily controlled beyond the point of delivery;
  2. If they can do this for ReplayTV, the mold is there for cracking the "code" for D* or E* DVR's...if you can avoid the copyright cops. :p

Thus the basis of the age old fair use debate. As long as I am not selling it they should just shut the hell up. This is no (too me) different than me recording to a VHS or Hi8 tape and saving it to watch over and over.

Alas... Dishnetwork enabled HDD archiving but has copy protection in place to prevent what Replay folks have done for years... I love my Replays, but I am loving the HDD archiving and playback that Dishnet is providing me... although I can't stream, burn to dvd etc... as I am used to with my Replays... I just renewed one of my Replay subs (have 3) and do not foresee canning them in the future ;) too many options with 2 out of the 3 hooked to Direct receivers and one to a Dishnet receiver... (now I have HD Archiving and it really rocks :))But... Dvd burning is really easy to do with dvarchive, revuw, and the appropriate program, I use Tmpg dvd author...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)